Past #15: Daniel Howe - #31 in '14 ND to HFC - delisted end '22 - #33 in '23 RD to NM -retires from AFL & NM end '23 - 107 AFL games / 11 NM games

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Howe = The zaaaaaaaaaattttttttt.
Dan Howe = The you doin?..

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

Good luck to Dan. When Hawks drafted him, he was dubbed "The Future", a tall, powerful mid with good skills who had ability all over the park. We got 80% of what we hoped, and that kind of player just doesn't work out very often.

If Clarkson is going down the "system" path, then the likes of Shiels and Howe will give him quick pillars to build around - players who understand the systems and methods (and give their all for the team, sacrificing their individual games).

Howe has flexibility, can play tall or small, inside or outside, defensively or middle (rarely forward). He's not a creative player, and with time can be very reactive - his trademark of taking the mark 70m out, waiting 15 seconds (with those BIG open eyes), then bombing long to the hotspot. Instinctively (in close) he's good, quick of hand and foot, and his size allows him to dispose under pressure. A good depth player to have to round out a dominant side in contention, or a hardened player to take the punishment and protect a young/underdeveloped midfield.

I wish him well.

My hatred for those two is well known. Nothing in that interview dispels that
I tried to listen to the interview but only lasted a few minutes. Andy Maher is such a pompous, self-righteous twat. As for Andrew Gaze he's just plain dumb, such a stupid, stupid person, I know being great a sportsperson often means you can easily get a gig in the media but how an imbecile like Gaze has managed to sustain a career in the media is truly staggering. We have very low standards in Australia for what we'll accept as sports commentary and journalism. It's embarrassing.

Last edited:
Good luck to Dan. When Hawks drafted him, he was dubbed "The Future", a tall, powerful mid with good skills who had ability all over the park. We got 80% of what we hoped, and that kind of player just doesn't work out very often.

If Clarkson is going down the "system" path, then the likes of Shiels and Howe will give him quick pillars to build around - players who understand the systems and methods (and give their all for the team, sacrificing their individual games).

Howe has flexibility, can play tall or small, inside or outside, defensively or middle (rarely forward). He's not a creative player, and with time can be very reactive - his trademark of taking the mark 70m out, waiting 15 seconds (with those BIG open eyes), then bombing long to the hotspot. Instinctively (in close) he's good, quick of hand and foot, and his size allows him to dispose under pressure. A good depth player to have to round out a dominant side in contention, or a hardened player to take the punishment and protect a young/underdeveloped midfield.

I wish him well.
I believe that is the trademark of the North Melbourne Football Club 2009-2022 and is NOT the property of Daniel Howe.

I tried to listen to the interview but only lasted a few minutes. Andy Maher is such a pompous, self-righteous twat. As for Andrew Gaze he's just plain dumb, such a stupid, stupid person, I know being great a sportsperson often means you can easily get a gig in the media but how an imbecile like Gaze has managed to sustain a career in the media is truly staggering. We have very low standards in Australia for what we'll accept as sports commentary and journalism. It's embarrassing.

Gaze was really likeable in his playing days. Disappointing to hear he's degenerated into a twat since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could write theses on why I think Andrew Maher should be wearing caution tape around himself at all times. If it's not the absurdly long-winded, stream of consciousness questioning style where he takes half the allotted interview time to ask a question ("So Daniel, you're a - and let's be honest here Keef [Gaze honks away in the background], we're all about [nervous giggling] respect on this show and the great man Daniel Howe here surely has earned that respect over a long period of time in the AFL -- Howey, you don't mind if I call you Howey mate -- Howey, you've been delisted from the Hawks and I'm sure you thought, still think, that you've got more footy in you, and we see so often these days that players are moving to their second or third club and finding success there whether that be at a, ah, ah, VFL club or a SANFL club, and so you get the opportunity to join the Kangas [Gaze mumbling "my word" to himself in the background] and so I'm just interested to hear what your thoughts are on how the Kangas will go this season, knowing what you know about the great Alistair Clarkson, the master coach, and how he brings clubs together, in the spirit of togetherness...?"), or his faux-bogan over the top Australianism to appeal to who I don't know, or his use of the phrase "great man" as punctuation, then it's his stupid halting laugh whenever he finds something mildly amusing, amongst myriad other idiosyncrasies, including his fawning sycophant behaviour at literally every guest. They could interview Pol Pot and Maher would compliment him on his efficiency in people management but take 4 years to put the question together

Disappointing

I could write theses on why I think Andrew Maher should be wearing caution tape around himself at all times. If it's not the absurdly long-winded, stream of consciousness questioning style where he takes half the allotted interview time to ask a question ("So Daniel, you're a - and let's be honest here Keef [Gaze honks away in the background], we're all about [nervous giggling] respect on this show and the great man Daniel Howe here surely has earned that respect over a long period of time in the AFL -- Howey, you don't mind if I call you Howey mate -- Howey, you've been delisted from the Hawks and I'm sure you thought, still think, that you've got more footy in you, and we see so often these days that players are moving to their second or third club and finding success there whether that be at a, ah, ah, VFL club or a SANFL club, and so you get the opportunity to join the Kangas [Gaze mumbling "my word" to himself in the background] and so I'm just interested to hear what your thoughts are on how the Kangas will go this season, knowing what you know about the great Alistair Clarkson, the master coach, and how he brings clubs together, in the spirit of togetherness...?"), or his faux-bogan over the top Australianism to appeal to who I don't know, or his use of the phrase "great man" as punctuation, then it's his stupid halting laugh whenever he finds something mildly amusing, amongst myriad other idiosyncrasies, including his fawning sycophant behaviour at literally every guest. They could interview Pol Pot and Maher would compliment him on his efficiency in people management but take 4 years to put the question together

Disappointing

Brilliant.

Philosophical Question - if Andrew Maher and James Brayshaw took turns to interview Patrick Cripps - who would verbally suck him dry first?

Depends on who you followed. Biggest whinger in the league. I've always hated the bloke.

It was bullshit that he got MVP in 1994. D-Mac transformed the Giants from also-rans to genuine contender.

Disappointing
you have obviously listened to way too much of Maher as that is too a tee

I wish him well.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn’t overly inspired with the selection, but this gives me a bit more faith that he’ll be able to play a role.

Gaze was really likeable in his playing days. Disappointing to hear he's degenerated into a twat since.
When he's commentating or talking about basketball he's fine, if he stuck to that he'd be okay, but with everything else he's so far out of his depth. The threat of dead air on radio, he just fills it with inane comments.

Disappointing

Irritated the s**t out of me when they started laughing about his Arts Degree.

Maher tries to take the high road with everything but ultimately he is a pompous and arrogant w***er who thinks he is far better and far more intelligent than those around him.

Can’t stand the bloke

Irritated the s**t out of me when they started laughing about his Arts Degree.

Maher tries to take the high road with everything but ultimately he is a pompous and arrogant w***er who thinks he is far better and far more intelligent than those around him.

Can’t stand the bloke

Sorry, who brought up Gerard Whately?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back