Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

So someone who knows him well enough to know?
Yeah, but you've got to take all such stuff with a grain of salt. Might have been "I'm thinking I might..." or it might have been the ex-player's take on it etc. Or it might have been in my interpretation of what he said. :yum:

Did some very good things which probably went unnoticed in what was often a frenetic game.

Wouldn't be against him getting another season if he wants it.

Worst case scenario is plays reserves and gives the younger players somebody to look up.

Best case is he keeps plugging gaps in defence, defying the naysayers, proving that being above 30 is not the end of the world.

Did some very good things which probably went unnoticed in what was often a frenetic game.

Wouldn't be against him getting another season if he wants it.

Worst case scenario is plays reserves and gives the younger players somebody to look up.

Best case is he keeps plugging gaps in defence, defying the naysayers, proving that being above 30 is not the end of the world.

If we'd kicked straight this year we could have 5 or 6 wins now. Brad would still be coaching and we'd be a genuine chance at a top four spot.

Thommo has been very good during that period. i don't believe we're that far off it and so its worth keeping him around for the reasons you mention. Depth or not he is professional and can be very very good. he'd have to drop off big time this year to not go round again i reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some folks are just mesmerized by youth. Any youth.

Agree. Look, I can understand the approach of seasoning young talent in the seniors sometimes for no immediate return.

But for all of those eulogising Scott Thompson's career, there's not a single player producing Scott Thompson stats on a consistent basis in the VFL to even raise the possibility.

Before anyone even bothers with Tom Murphy, I like some of his attributes but the kid would need a GPS and compass to get half the interception possession Scott does. We don't exactly have a diamond in the rough 19yo Michael Firrito chasing his spot either.

Agree. Look, I can understand the approach of seasoning young talent in the seniors sometimes for no immediate return.

But for all of those eulogising Scott Thompson's career, there's not a single player producing Scott Thompson stats on a consistent basis in the VFL to even raise the possibility.

Before anyone even bothers with Tom Murphy, I like some of his attributes but the kid would need a GPS and compass to get half the interception possession Scott does. We don't exactly have a diamond in the rough 19yo Michael Firrito chasing his spot either.

1) If we delist Thommo, another club will pick him up and he will do to us what he currently does for us.
2) Murphy isn't in Thompson's class, and isn't a certainty to go on and be an established AFL player. Joel Crocker is already showing him up.
3) Thommo will retire when Thommo decides he'll retire. He won't continue playing if his form drops away.

Last edited:
yep i say he should go around, dale morris and burgoyle are both 36 and are either playing well or getting back to their best. Thompson does not get injured, can deal with key position players and is a fantastic intercept mark, there is no replacement, so keep him for another year.

yep i say he should go around, dale morris and burgoyle are both 36 and are either playing well or getting back to their best. Thompson does not get injured, can deal with key position players and is a fantastic intercept mark, there is no replacement, so keep him for another year.
Is Burgoyle Gars brother?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He gets another year surely. Playing good footy, and doesn’t have a big history of injuries like Morris does. If he ends up in the twos next year then that means we have McKay and Durdin killing it in the seniors so it’s a win-win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back