Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh he's ready. I've seen enough in the VFL to know he's ready. I think he could eventually play forward, but looks like a natural CHB to me.

Was completely bottom age as well when taken. I still think he's on track to be the forward anchor as Brown slows down and we should be making that the target for 3-4 years from now. If he plays CHB in the meantime to get games so be it. If he owns that position so completely that we simply have to keep him there and recruit more forwards that's fine too. But the longterm plan for now should still be to make him the forward IMHO.

It seems like just yesterday that Scotty was recognised as the best full back in the game as he accepted his 2013 All Australian jumper and one which was a year too late just quietly (as he completely pantsed the 2012 Captain in virtually every statistical capacity).

Glad he's going around again and if he maintains his recent form, he'll have a strong argument to put forward in 2019 as well.

It seems like just yesterday that Scotty was recognised as the best full back in the game as he accepted his 2013 All Australian jumper and one which was a year too late just quietly (as he completely pantsed the 2012 Captain in virtually every statistical capacity).

Glad he's going around again and if he maintains his recent form, he'll have a strong argument to put forward in 2019 as well.
Just quietly i would have traded tarrant and kept thompson. Keep the experience and get a good trade deal too.

Just quietly i would have traded tarrant and kept thompson. Keep the experience and get a good trade deal too.

I don't think that's doable from a people management point of view - not unless he wants to go. I'm comfortable with keeping Tarrant things can turn around very quickly, while I doubt we are giving ourselves a massive chance to win the premiership next year if we did come good and got improvement earlier than expected it would be horrible to think we could have done it with a player like Tarrant in the team after tossing him for speculative picks.

Unless we got 2x top 3 picks for Tarrant I wouldn't even think about trading him. You may say that is way overs but that's what it would take to pry him out of our hands.

On a related note, 2018 has to be Scooter's last year. Not because he isn't up to it or something like that but McKay, Neilsen and co should be pushing him out of the 22 by years end

I don't think that's doable from a people management point of view - not unless he wants to go. I'm comfortable with keeping Tarrant things can turn around very quickly, while I doubt we are giving ourselves a massive chance to win the premiership next year if we did come good and got improvement earlier than expected it would be horrible to think we could have done it with a player like Tarrant in the team after tossing him for speculative picks.
Of course. It would have to be massive overs etc. I just thought at the time that it is the one area of the ground that we quite stocked.

Ii was thinking picks 7 and 8 with a pick going back. Short term pain for potentially long term gain. But as you said tarrant would need to be on board etc. Spit balling and i think thompson has more than 1 year left in the tank.

He would have walked from the club, been given a two year contract at another club and a contributed elsewhere as a very good player.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that he is still playing in 2019, and if he is, I hope it's in a North jumper.

Another excellent game from Scotty.

His good form must be driving the board's resident Logan's Run crew nuts. (Commonly referred to as 'an added bonus'.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you trade this guy out after tonight, he's so essential to the core of this group it's a night and day difference compared to Carlton. Young list also, but no good core of players to lift them up.

Scotty's a real integral part of what holds this young group together, without him we're terrible and I'm sure he's got alot to pass down to our young defenders playing alongside him.

15 marks in the wet. Majak in the team allowing him more freedom?
Looks lighter on the feet too.
Wonder if he’s having a 2014esqe Firriro Renaissance.
Has been fantastic this year.

He would have walked from the club, been given a two year contract at another club and a contributed elsewhere as a very good player.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that he is still playing in 2019, and if he is, I hope it's in a North jumper.

Right on tef- spud was been read his last rites on here about 4 yrs before he got delisted and was still in top form when he got pushed out.
Thommo could play another 2/3 yrs - let’s not forget he was a late starter.

I always forget how good Thommo is

He’s been ******* fantastic since that horrible start last year. Just gets the job done ever since

Anyone constanly questioning why do we give old players like him games over the whole “playing the kids” mentality are delusional

Anyone constanly questioning why do we give old players like him games over the whole “playing the kids” mentality are delusional
Its all about the balance. You got to give them a go but you have to have them play with seasoned players so they have someone to learn off. If its just a bunch of kids running around who are they going to learn off?

Another excellent game from Scotty.

His good form must be driving the board's resident Logan's Run crew nuts. (Commonly referred to as 'an added bonus'.)

I thought he ended last season really well too - and do you remember TOD, how I was a bit worried that he wouldn't come back as strong this year, and that maybe he should have retired on a high note? Silly me.

He and Jarrad of the Clear Crystals are champs. They are mighty, and they are 2 of the most entertaining players to watch. Very glad to have them both still with us!

And let's not forget that Taz's crystal will be going clear too next year. Better bloody not be any calls around here to drop him for it.

I thought he ended last season really well too - and do you remember TOD, how I was a bit worried that he wouldn't come back as strong this year, and that maybe he should have retired on a high note? Silly me.

He and Jarrad of the Clear Crystals are champs. They are mighty, and they are 2 of the most entertaining players to watch. Very glad to have them both still with us!

And let's not forget that Taz's crystal will be going clear too next year. Better bloody not be any calls around here to drop him for it.
I was a sceptic on Scotty, and W8, for that matter, but watching them and looking at how the replacement are travelling in the VFL, makes me glad we kept them both.

The alternative is very BLUWSish and that's an unpleasant thought.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Scott Thompson and Michael Firrito are underrated by far too many North supporters on here.

Both fantastic club men, good on and off field leaders and driven, effective competitors.

For all the Boomer talk (which I agreed with) Spud was the other who could played on if anyone else in the famous 4 was going to for us.

And Thompson gets written off by so many who don't appreciate what a good footballer he is. The synergy with Tarrant and a recast Majak could be very interesting.

The only slightly sour note is that occasionally Scott T might want to remember he's not Brent Harvey or Wayne Schwass and just give it off without trying the extra tricky manoeuvre or long range shot for goal ;) .

Scott Thompson and Michael Firrito are underrated by far too many North supporters on here.

Both fantastic club men, good on and off field leaders and driven, effective competitors.

For all the Boomer talk (which I agreed with) Spud was the other who could played on if anyone else in the famous 4 was going to for us.

And Thompson gets written off by so many who don't appreciate what a good footballer he is. The synergy with Tarrant and a recast Majak could be very interesting.

The only slightly sour note is that occasionally Scott T might want to remember he's not Brent Harvey or Wayne Schwass and just give it off without trying the extra tricky manoeuvre or long range shot for goal ;) .

Yep. Next to Robo-Drew, Spud was the one I missed the most. Such a character, and always could be counted on to fight the Shinboner fight, and freaking stick it to the umps in the best, most hilarious ways. Loved him. Was good to see him in a crowd shot at one of our matches recently. He played a very fine season for his last, and I agree, he could have played on for more. But he left with grace, and he still a much-loved part of us. Plus his potato costume will never be matched.

oops, it's the Scotty T. thread....sorry Mr. Thompson! I'll leave now...

oops, it's the Scotty T. thread....sorry Mr. Thompson! I'll leave now...

Ain't nothing wrong with a good tangent.

Only just caught up with a bit of your background - were you east or west coast?

And long shot, do you know if a little group called "Spiral Beach" ever made anything of themselves? Saw them at this North by Northeast thing in Toronto years ago and they were quite catchy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back