Player Watch #17 James 'Don't forget the O' JordOn

Remove this Banner Ad

James Jordan.jpg

Player Profile:

At just 22 James Jordon can call himself a premiership player after appearing in the 2021 Grand Final for Melbourne as the medical substitute, the same year he made his debut for the Dees. The midfielder was initially taken as pick 33 in the 2018 draft and joined the Sydney Swans on the opening day of the 2023 AFL Free Agency Period. He played just 18 games in 2023 with the hopes to improve and grow in the red and white.

James Jordn
Born: 20 December 2000
Draft: 2018
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers >> Melbourne

Last edited:
Whilst I am hoping Hayward stays, the way the Jordan has settled into the side has softened the prospect of him leaving. Clearly they don't play the same role but Hayward has previously been asked to play some of the same defensive nullifying roles on attacking or intercepting half backs.
I wonder if looking ahead from the list management that there was some doubt about Hayward staying and Jordan was picked up as a bit of an insurance player who could potentially fill some of his roles.
JordOn

You get the feeling that he always felt like he was on the fringe at the Dee's (some of that comes from Brodie as well) but that he is a key part of our plans here and a welcome member of the playing group. From what Adams and Grundy have said it makes a big difference.
I just hope that the guys currently on the fringe like Campbell, Francis, Ladhams and Gus are getting the same support.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Clarke walked so that James Jordon could run. JJ owning the defensive forward position while also being damaging with ball in hand and bringing his teammates into the game. Absolutely cooked Clark tonight. Great game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the knock on him at Melbourne?
I think predominantly seen as a 'Jack of all trades, but master of none', which would explain why he was sub so often.

I don't necessarily think he's playing significantly better with us than he did at Melbourne, but we are giving him more opportunity and finding game day roles for him, which he is performing very well.

I think predominantly seen as a 'Jack of all trades, but master of none', which would explain why he was sub so often.

I don't necessarily think he's playing significantly better with us than he did at Melbourne, but we are giving him more opportunity and finding game day roles for him, which he is performing very well.
Oh okay, that makes sense. He seems so capable I couldn't really see why they were so happy to trade him, maybe he's someone that needs to be given a clear objective.
Whatever the reason, so far it's been another great trade for us.

Oh okay, that makes sense. He seems so capable I couldn't really see why they were so happy to trade him, maybe he's someone that needs to be given a clear objective.
Whatever the reason, so far it's been another great trade for us.
Think he's playing with more confidence and clarity which makes a big difference. I picked up from Horse's presser that part of his role is to know when to peel off, attack and keep his man accountable, not just negate. Really pleased with how he's going.

I think this is pretty much a comment on just about our whole team! Shut one down, no problem, another pops up to take his place... so James fitting into this team so well should be no surprise to anyone!

Another of Horses much vaunted 'versatile' players!

He is clamping as well as Clarke did but a lot more damaging going forward and is involved in a lot more plays
The big difference between them is ball use and composure. Jordon is a significant improvement in general skills and composure under pressure (doesn’t cough it up and makes good decisions).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back