Senior 17. Lawson Humphries (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez I ran the 20 in just over 2 seconds.

Granted 'last drinks' came blaring over the speaker.
I dont believe it all.

You'd never run for drinks.

You have people to do that for you lmao.

GO Catters

I love this pick. Time will tell whether he'll make it but if his attitude matches his performance, he's a chance.

Plus I love the indigenous kids. I love watching classy, skilful players and they generally have it in spades.

Go well young man.

I dont believe it all.

You'd never run for drinks.

You have people to do that for you lmao.

GO Catters
Good call. 🤣

I'm still waiting for that raincheck btw. 😉 Hopefully you're down next year so we can catch up again.

I love this pick. Time will tell whether he'll make it but if his attitude matches his performance, he's a chance.

Plus I love the indigenous kids. I love watching classy, skilful players and they generally have it in spades.

Go well young man.
Agree... that last highlight when he borked and sold candy and took off... very Cocky like to me.... very exciting player with the odds against him to make it.... but geez he's got something to work with.

Someone mentioned Brad Hartman type skills... id agree there too - maybe even better... but wish the kid all the best and lets give him every chance to make it.

GO Catters

Agree... that last highlight when he borked and sold candy and took off... very Cocky like to me.... very exciting player with the odds against him to make it.... but geez he's got something to work with.

Someone mentioned Brad Hartman type skills... id agree there too - maybe even better... but wish the kid all the best and lets give him every chance to make it.

GO Catters
He could have been anything Hartman.

Geez I ran the 20 in just over 2 seconds.

Granted 'last drinks' came blaring over the speaker.
You haven't seen 'last drinks' chaos until you've been to England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland. When that bell rings or the bar staff shout out everyone at the table comes back with four pint clutches, five even if they have hands like a JCB and an uncanny skill for it after being several pints into it already!

Go well young man.
I love this pick as well. I like the fact he has worked from Colts, Reserves then Seniors. Showing strong improvement each season and learning a new position in defence.

Apparently has played games as a lock down defender and games where he has played more loose for his development. I look forward to what he can do in a professional environment.

Go well young man.
I genuinely believe this could be a a generational draft for us (famous last words)

Every player looks to have a good attitude, talent to burn, and most importantly for us, no chronic injuries to note.

Feels like the first draft we've had in a while that every player selected feels like they're odds on to make it in some way, shape, or form, and we all seem pretty happy/excited about it, which is a rarity at this time of year.

I love this pick as well. I like the fact he has worked from Colts, Reserves then Seniors. Showing strong improvement each season and learning a new position in defence.

Apparently has played games as a lock down defender and games where he has played more loose for his development. I look forward to what he can do in a professional environment.
I have watched that highlight of him dashing off half back through traffic and selling the candy maybe 6 times and I'm still dazed.

I think he'll be a great Bews understudy and maybe more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have watched that highlight of him dashing off half back through traffic and selling the candy maybe 6 times and I'm still dazed.

I think he'll be a great Bews understudy and maybe more.
Reminds me a bit of Isaac Quaynor in that way.

Similar player to Bews, as his main focus is locking down his man, but with more flare.

Love Bewsy's intent and courage, but your heart is in your mouth when he's got the footy. That's where Quaynor & Humphries look to be different.

Similar player to Bews, as his main focus is locking down his man, but with more flare.

Love Bewsy's intent and courage, but your heart is in your mouth when he's got the footy. That's where Quaynor & Humphries look to be different.
Yeah, will need to see a body of work but hopefully the Lawson doesn't give fans in the 3rd row too many uncontested marks

Hey...you stole this from me... :p

Screenshot_20231124-204850.png

Geelong draftee Lawson Humphries reflects on his rise from WAFL reserves​

By his own admission, Lawson Humphries was unfit. And in the space of 12 months he went from the WAFL reserves to the AFL. The new Cat reflects on his remarkable rise.

When Lawson Humphries’ name was called on Tuesday night with the second last pick of the national draft, few besides AFL recruiters would have known his name outside of Western Australia.

Humphries, 20, had received a positive call from Geelong in the lead-up, but even he was surprised he was taken in the national draft instead of Wednesday’s rookie draft.

So much so that his mother didn’t watch her son get drafted – she didn’t even realise it was on.

“Mum was a bit annoyed at me that I didn’t let her know about it,” Humphries chuckled.

Humphries wasn’t watching the draft either. He found out while he was on the training track with his Swan Districts teammates.

Humphries’ name being called capped an incredible rise that was appeared no chance of happening 12 months ago when he was stuck in the WAFL reserves.

A West Coast Next Generation Academy graduate who was a fair way off the pace in his draft year of 2021, Humphries returned to Swan Districts and didn’t set the world on fire in 2022.

By his own admission he was unfit and needed to get to work.

Swan Districts’ pre-season involved a stack of running, which was just what Humphries needed, and he also hired a running coach that helped unlock his speed.

The hard work in the off-season and a Swan Districts coach Greg Harding’s call to move him into the midfield paid dividends, seeing Humphries dominate the start of the WAFL reserves campaign.

It led to a WAFL senior debut for the Swans in round eight, which allowed his elite kicking on both sides and turn of step to be put on show at state league level.

AFL interest followed and he was invited to the WA state combine, where he ran a promising 2km time trial time of 6:57 minutes.

Humphries returned to the WAFL reserves later in the season, tasting premiership glory with the Swans, and the rest is history.

“The performances this year were more memorable than in the early years,” Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells said hours after he took Humphries with pick 63.

“He’s played a lot better this year, he has really developed. Wasn’t really a consideration for us as a draft a couple of years ago, but this year he is.”

Humphries hopes his selection can inspire other mature-agers to never give up on their AFL dream.

“I think back to a year ago, I was a bit overweight, my running was so average,” Humphries said.

“Natural talent can only get you so far, the difference between making it to the AFL and not for me seems to be hard work, to be honest.

“There are so many blokes that are more talented probably than I am but they wouldn’t work as hard as I would.

“So it’s about getting to work, work really hard, and if you put natural talent and work ethic together it is going to be a pretty devastating combo.

“I’m super stoked for the WAFL, I think the state leagues I think get slept on a bit. Especially mature-age prospects, I think there are so many mature-age prospects around the country.

“Hopefully I can just be an example as to why mature-age recruits are to be more considered.”

And like many draftees who get taken via the untraditional route, there were doubters along the way.

”It is not obviously my whole motivation but it is always nice when you can work hard and you do silence people that might not think you have the ability to do something,” Humphries said.

Humphries hails from Nyul Nyul country in northwest Western Australia and his Indigenous heritage has grown in importance as his life has gone on.

Learning more about his culture has gone hand-in-hand with his anthropology studies at university.

“As I’ve gotten older it’s become more of a priority in my life,” Humphries said.

“It’s something that I really, it means lot to me and I’ve decided to get involved in our land group meetings, trying to at least learn a bit more and I guess it goes hand-in-hand with my studies at Uni at the moment.”

Humphries grew up in Wickham and moved around a lot as a child, and boarded 1557 kilometres away at Hale School in Perth for four years.

That experience will hold him in good stead for the move across the country from Perth to Geelong – but the weather might take some adjusting to.

“I’ve been told by a few people that I’ll have to pack a lot of warm clothes. I think it might be a bit of a shock to start with but I’m sure I’ll get used to it,” Humphries said.

Geelong draftee Lawson Humphries reflects on his rise from WAFL reserves​

By his own admission, Lawson Humphries was unfit. And in the space of 12 months he went from the WAFL reserves to the AFL. The new Cat reflects on his remarkable rise.

When Lawson Humphries’ name was called on Tuesday night with the second last pick of the national draft, few besides AFL recruiters would have known his name outside of Western Australia.

Humphries, 20, had received a positive call from Geelong in the lead-up, but even he was surprised he was taken in the national draft instead of Wednesday’s rookie draft.

So much so that his mother didn’t watch her son get drafted – she didn’t even realise it was on.

“Mum was a bit annoyed at me that I didn’t let her know about it,” Humphries chuckled.

Humphries wasn’t watching the draft either. He found out while he was on the training track with his Swan Districts teammates.

Humphries’ name being called capped an incredible rise that was appeared no chance of happening 12 months ago when he was stuck in the WAFL reserves.

A West Coast Next Generation Academy graduate who was a fair way off the pace in his draft year of 2021, Humphries returned to Swan Districts and didn’t set the world on fire in 2022.

By his own admission he was unfit and needed to get to work.

Swan Districts’ pre-season involved a stack of running, which was just what Humphries needed, and he also hired a running coach that helped unlock his speed.

The hard work in the off-season and a Swan Districts coach Greg Harding’s call to move him into the midfield paid dividends, seeing Humphries dominate the start of the WAFL reserves campaign.

It led to a WAFL senior debut for the Swans in round eight, which allowed his elite kicking on both sides and turn of step to be put on show at state league level.

AFL interest followed and he was invited to the WA state combine, where he ran a promising 2km time trial time of 6:57 minutes.

Humphries returned to the WAFL reserves later in the season, tasting premiership glory with the Swans, and the rest is history.

“The performances this year were more memorable than in the early years,” Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells said hours after he took Humphries with pick 63.

“He’s played a lot better this year, he has really developed. Wasn’t really a consideration for us as a draft a couple of years ago, but this year he is.”

Humphries hopes his selection can inspire other mature-agers to never give up on their AFL dream.

“I think back to a year ago, I was a bit overweight, my running was so average,” Humphries said.

“Natural talent can only get you so far, the difference between making it to the AFL and not for me seems to be hard work, to be honest.

“There are so many blokes that are more talented probably than I am but they wouldn’t work as hard as I would.

“So it’s about getting to work, work really hard, and if you put natural talent and work ethic together it is going to be a pretty devastating combo.

“I’m super stoked for the WAFL, I think the state leagues I think get slept on a bit. Especially mature-age prospects, I think there are so many mature-age prospects around the country.

“Hopefully I can just be an example as to why mature-age recruits are to be more considered.”

And like many draftees who get taken via the untraditional route, there were doubters along the way.

”It is not obviously my whole motivation but it is always nice when you can work hard and you do silence people that might not think you have the ability to do something,” Humphries said.

Humphries hails from Nyul Nyul country in northwest Western Australia and his Indigenous heritage has grown in importance as his life has gone on.

Learning more about his culture has gone hand-in-hand with his anthropology studies at university.

“As I’ve gotten older it’s become more of a priority in my life,” Humphries said.

“It’s something that I really, it means lot to me and I’ve decided to get involved in our land group meetings, trying to at least learn a bit more and I guess it goes hand-in-hand with my studies at Uni at the moment.”

Humphries grew up in Wickham and moved around a lot as a child, and boarded 1557 kilometres away at Hale School in Perth for four years.

That experience will hold him in good stead for the move across the country from Perth to Geelong – but the weather might take some adjusting to.

“I’ve been told by a few people that I’ll have to pack a lot of warm clothes. I think it might be a bit of a shock to start with but I’m sure I’ll get used to it,” Humphries said.
Anyone else just love what we've done this year?

All of these young men just look so determined to make it, and it feels like we've selected players who will drive standards and be leaders of the future.

All of them have had to face adversity of some sort along the way, and showed resilience to just keep going and improve.

It allows us as supporters to rest easy, and know that if any of these guys can't quite make the grade, it won't be from a lack of effort.

Anyone else just love what we've done this year?

All of these young men just look so determined to make it, and it feels like we've selected players who will drive standards and be leaders of the future.

All of them have had to face adversity of some sort along the way, and showed resilience to just keep going and improve.

It allows us as supporters to rest easy, and know that if any of these guys can't quite make the grade, it won't be from a lack of effort.
High Floor. High Ceiling. Best Training School (Patient, Long-term focus). What's not to like?

Will be interesting to see what new tactical moves (factoring individual player strengths) the Coaches (now with Kingy & Rahls onboard) come up with.

Mature recruits has been a bonanza for the Cats. Can't wait to see 'em in action!

Curious to see after a few VFL games how close (or far) this guy is to playing AFL. Being that little bit older and having exposure to senior WAFL footy (and apparently performing well at that level), he may not be too far away.
WAFL is a quite high standard of footy - the GF this year had East Fremantle playing a game style that an AFL team would be proud to display ✅

Remove this Banner Ad

Back