Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean like I said?
I didn't think so. I thought you were giving him an 'out' by suggesting he's been 'over-coached' and he's either inept OR he's had his strengths coached out of him.

Unlike what you said (that you don't think he's an 'average footballer',) I'm saying he is an 'good ordinary footballer', blessed with pace but not a lot more. The skills are, I think, better than the decision-making.

Nobody hits up at the ball.
He should have created more space and time, drawn defenders and had options. If I was a team mate looking to receive from Atley, I'd play a few metres behind him too.

(Okay, I'm going too far, but I'm sick of this guy not playing consistently at a level above his current ceiling. Unless he does, he's not what we need.)

No North players shits me quite like Atley.

Is he instructed by the coach to completely s**t his pants the moment he approaches the centre of a footy ground, or is he just a naturrally apprehensive footballer?

I remember someone referring to Darren Jarman as a "Rolls Royce with the hand brake on" before he finally hit his straps and turned the corner. This saying reminds me equally of Atley.

IMO, Aaron Mullet has now taken his spot in the side.

Happy to see him play the remainder of the season in the 2s to get some form and then i'd be happy to see him playing well, but not at our club. 130 odd games of mostly below average crap. Sick of hearing about this explosive pace, it's bordering on Loch ness Monster folklore.
Honestly can't think of many games where he's had any impact at all. How long can we persevere with players like him, we'll never get back to the top while he and a few others are sucking the life out of the side.

Did kick a nice left foot goal on the run, 2015-2016? But that's about it!

Thought he actually looked good in the first two rounds when he was playing as a genuine mid. Then scott throws him back again and it goes back to the same old deer in headlights stuff.

To me (having watched a lot of his junior footy) it's like he has been crucified way too many times for making mistakes and now he is overly hesistant to take the game on at all. It's blantantly obvious that his confidence is completely shot and he is so scared to make a mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he actually looked good in the first two rounds when he was playing as a genuine mid. Then scott throws him back again and it goes back to the same old deer in headlights stuff.

To me (having watched a lot of his junior footy) it's like he has been crucified way too many times for making mistakes and now he is overly hesistant to take the game on at all. It's blantantly obvious that his confidence is completely shot and he is so scared to make a mistake.

Plays like a robot.

in the jlt games shaun took it on and it was exciting.
dont care if he gets caught or stuffs up, just take the game on.
doesn't have the confidence or is he told not to in the real games ?

is a momentum killer when he stops kicks backwards or handballs to just get rid of the football.
maybe he just doesnt have what we all want from him or think he is capable of.

i hope i am wrong
I think there's a lot of us that got caught up in the JLT form, but now that you see that 2 of those teams book end us at the bottom of the ladder, it was all a bit of a smoke screen!

AT
100% agree. Needs 8+ weeks to absolutely smash the door down and get back in.

I personally dont think he has it in him.
None of these arguments are mutually exclusive.. could it be Atley is a dumb footballer, who is over coached?

Keep it simple for the kid.
Not dumb. Because if handballs backwards forwards don't trust him. Not joining the don't delay Harvey crowd, but he found forwards from the same positions

I think we have a risk averse culture and this translates into him trying so hard not to **** up that he ****s up in a different way. Again just guessing from observation but a lot of it just has to be in his head.

Not sure if coincidence but he looked good in that game against Richmond in Hobart last year when Crock was coaching.

Watching the replay, Shaun Atley will never make it.
Just a soft, fickle, zero hunger footballer.
Missed two easy kicks to Swallow and Hrovat in the third to well and truly kill our momentum.
We're kidding ourselves.
That one to Hrovat had me seeing red. Short to a 50/50 in the square. Turnover. Goal. He had options deep. No short to 50/50's. Under 15 mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back