Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

I tell you what, watching the kids GC was picking last year, and knowing who they've already got, I honestly reckon Brown will struggle to be in their best 15 and within a year or two, won't get a game.

He'll have taught them all what it's about by then though, even if you're right (which you're not).

So more power to you for conning a 1st rounder out of the AFL for him.

More power to you for keeping the rhetoric against him going even after he's left our club. Show's great commitment and focus.:thumbsu:

(Without which we wouldn't have got Atley. Did you see how Essendon rated Atley the next Judd?)
No. Would I have suddenly started caring about who Essendon's recruiting staff rates if I did?

I am a bit confused we gave you picks 25 and 41 for Josh Gibson and pick 69 last year which you took Aaron Black(25) and Ayden Kennedy(41) how did that help you get Ryan Bastinac who is a gun with pick 21 thus shoving it up us for offloading Hay to you

Black was our recruiters "best player still in the draft" at 21 but we wanted Bastinac as well. Knowing that West Coast weren't looking for talls would take Bastinac and Essendon were committed to Jake Carlisle, Bryce Lewis rolled the dice and took Bastinac with 21 and Black was still there at 25.

Basically if we didn't have Pick 25 we would have taken Black and missed out Bastinac.

So thanks for Bastinac.

I am a bit confused we gave you picks 25 and 41 for Josh Gibson and pick 69 last year which you took Aaron Black(25) and Ayden Kennedy(41) how did that help you get Ryan Bastinac who is a gun with pick 21 thus shoving it up us for offloading Hay to you

We were always going to take Black - need a KPF - at 21. But then Basti slid and we knew WCE, who had the next two picks after us, would jump on him.

So we took Basti at 21 and gambled they would take Black, which they didn't, who we promptly took at 25.

Without your 25, we never would have got Basti.

We were always going to take Black - need a KPF - at 21. But then Basti slid and we knew WCE, who had the next two picks after us, would jump on him.

So we took Basti at 21 and gambled they would take Black, which they didn't, who we promptly took at 25.

Without your 25, we never would have got Basti.
Fair enough same as when we got Buddy franklin if we hadnt got pick 10 off you guys for Thompson then we wouldnt have been able to trade up for pick 7 from the pies thus having 3 of the 1st 7 picks so we could leave lewis till pick 7 knowing the bulldogs would go for a tall after they took griffen with pick 3 leaving us to take buddy at 5 and getting the player we really wanted lewis with 7 makes sense really well done

Fair enough same as when we got Buddy franklin if we hadnt got pick 10 off you guys for Thompson then we wouldnt have been able to trade up for pick 7 from the pies thus having 3 of the 1st 7 picks so we could leave lewis till pick 7 knowing the bulldogs would go for a tall after they took griffen with pick 3 leaving us to take buddy at 5 and getting the player we really wanted lewis with 7 makes sense really well done

Nah, that theory is bullshit because it involves you on-trading our pick.

We never did that. we just drafted well.

So thanks for Bastinac and Atley.

We gave you Pick 10 and 26 which ended up being Chris Egan and Matthew Little.....I'm happier we took Thompson off your hands.

Pick 37 which you traded to get Pick 7 from Collingwood ended up going to West Coast who took Mark Le Cras.

If your recruiters had any idea they would have waited until Buddy slid to Pick 10 then picked up Le Cras with 37.

But noooooo they rated Lewis.

:sarcasticfacethingy:

Hawthorn didnt give us Atley, we got Harper with the compensation pick we got as a part of the Hale trade, and when we traded Gibson in 09' we got pick 25 which was AARON BLACK not BASTINAC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn has gotten two of our okay players and in return they have given two of the best midfielders who will be dominant in a few years time where Squibson and Hale will decline in the oncoming years. I am very happy with this.

Hawks where not looking for young players. Instead we where looking for players to fill up the holes in our list. So we got players such as Gibson (was a favourite of mine while at NM, mainly because of his jobs on Buddy) as a defender we needed, who was excelent for us last season and Hale, who will be perfect for us because he gets that ruck role and can go forward in the role which will come about because of the new interchange laws. Then this year we drafted Smith as that fast outside mid we desperately needed.

NM on the other hand are still trying to build a competitive list so was looking for for the next 10 years so over the past 2 or 3 drafts have had different aims and goals going into the drafts. Last year you needed Black a lot more then Bastinac and lucky for you you managed to get both. Any crap about planing and this and that is BS. You got Black and lucky for you Bastinac was availble 4 picks latter so you got both. Very similar to us and Roughead, Franklin, Tambling in 2004. This year you got Atley who was the steal of the draft and would have been picked every single time over Harper, who was who you effectively got from Hawks. Only after the next 2 or so drafts will we find out in NM made the correct call in taking their the compensation pick this year.

NM are getting are making a very similar sound to that of Richmond back in 2004. Many of the stars which aligned that year for then are aligning again this year for NM. Lets hope you don't make the same mistake they did and get ahead of yourselves. You have one of the best young lists and a seaminly bright future. Why you try and always proove yourselves against Hawks is beyond me. As soon as you draft any player is is straight away compared to what Hawks drafted. How about just worrying about your own club and the players that you have and not what we have.

The Hawks are coming off a fairly recent premiership with much of the same list intact. They have addressed a couple of needs being a defender and a ruckman. We either weren't playing these guys in these posts for whatever reasons (form, not best available in that possie etc...) We managed to address some of our needs mainly being midfield class and or speed. It seems so far the guys we have picked up will end up being worth the trades so I'd be happy to call it a fair deal where both sides got something out of it. N Thompson was a great move at the time for us to fill a hole. We have a long way to go make up for Jon Hay and Lance Piciaone however...

Hawks where not looking for young players. Instead we where looking for players to fill up the holes in our list. So we got players such as Gibson (was a favourite of mine while at NM, mainly because of his jobs on Buddy) as a defender we needed, who was excelent for us last season and Hale, who will be perfect for us because he gets that ruck role and can go forward in the role which will come about because of the new interchange laws. Then this year we drafted Smith as that fast outside mid we desperately needed.

NM on the other hand are still trying to build a competitive list so was looking for for the next 10 years so over the past 2 or 3 drafts have had different aims and goals going into the drafts. Last year you needed Black a lot more then Bastinac and lucky for you you managed to get both. Any crap about planing and this and that is BS. You got Black and lucky for you Bastinac was availble 4 picks latter so you got both. Very similar to us and Roughead, Franklin, Tambling in 2004. This year you got Atley who was the steal of the draft and would have been picked every single time over Harper, who was who you effectively got from Hawks. Only after the next 2 or so drafts will we find out in NM made the correct call in taking their the compensation pick this year.

NM are getting are making a very similar sound to that of Richmond back in 2004. Many of the stars which aligned that year for then are aligning again this year for NM. Lets hope you don't make the same mistake they did and get ahead of yourselves. You have one of the best young lists and a seaminly bring future. Why you try and always proove yourselves against Hawks is beyond me. As soon as you draft any player is is straight away compared to what Hawks drafted. How about just worrying about your own club and the players that you have and not what we have.
Well said Greenwood24 :thumbsu:

Welcome to North Melbourne #18. Shaun Atley.​

atleyx.jpg

Taken with North Melbournes first round pick in the 2010 November Draft, Atley was a shock pickup at North Melbourne, rated as high as a number 4 draft pick and expected to go to Essendon with their top10 pick (#8). Instead Atley was picked up at pick 17 by North Melbourne, a team who had (admittedly) not given the youngster a full interview due to the belief there was no hope that he'd last to that pick.

When Atley was still around at pick 17 North overlooked promising 21 year old Isaac Smith to pick up the exciting youngster.

Shaun Atley
13 September 1992
187cm
82kg
Murray Bushrangers/Wodonga
Midfield/Defender

Inside and outside midfielder and half-back with a lot of grunt and a turn of speed. Big reason why Vic Country won the championships. No tricks to speak of, but a terrific type whose build suggests endurance.

Kevin Sheehan says: Exceptionally agile player with great speed and endurance and twice runner-up in state hurdles, which highlights his athletic ability. All-Australian team member in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 19 disposals and six tackles.

Stats (aggregate for 2010 U18 Championships)
Games 5
K 38
H 55
D 93
M 11
G 1
H/O 1

In his own words
What type of player are you?
An inside and outside midfielder who likes to run and carry the ball.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Chris Judd - can win the ball in a contested situation and feed it out to team mates.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
The ability to get out of the traffic with the ball, clean hands, run and carry.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Becoming a more effective kick.

Which AFLteam do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
St. Kilda. My old babysitter convinced me they were a good team.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad, just because of the advice he has given me growing up.

We wouldn't have won the flag with Thommo or Hay around when Buddy et al were developing. Cheers.:thumbsu:

Hahaha Bayer is on the North board. Just admit you really do love us:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back