Past 19. Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how the Saints player is smiling about that kick...he just can believe it!
It was unbelievable when he kicked a similar goal against St. Kilda later in the year from the same spot.

I'm looking forward to Eddy having a big second half of the season, as I think the break will have done him the world of good....
I have reason to believe he was carry a few niggling injuries, in particular a groin injury, for the last few weeks and had been struggling a bit...I hope its behind him now.....

Hi Eddie my name is The Toad and I'm going to be your buddy for 2010 season. I'm sure we will get along just fine. (as long as you stay off the piss and play decent footy that is) And I look forward to keeping my fellow Carlton supporting BF legends up to date with your season. Good luck Eddie and remeber -

"To be a champ you have to believe in yourself when no one else will"

704922-carlton-footballers.jpg

Well now as you can plainly see Mr Betts is looking quite good. It is obvious that his time in exile has done him good.(He's the one on the left by the way)
From all reports he was very, VERY embarrased with himself and has gone out hard to impress the MC and the rest of the boys that he wants to be a part of the future at the CFC.
I think this will be a stella year for Eddie and his little indiscreation may be a blessing in disguise. I am going to the intraclub match so I will have more details on Saturday.

Remember, the water is always warm in the pond.:p
The Toad

I loved this little snippet about Eddie in an article about what player managers go through managing their clients.

Earning their keep
As media predictions of the Carlton trio's potential fine multiplied, Petroro's mother — who took Betts in when he first came to Melbourne and adores him — phoned and asked if he needed help coming up with the money.
Earning their keep

Eddie is a beaut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well fellow Carlton freaks it's exactly 1 week to go till we kick off the 2010 season against the Tigers. And it is going to be very interesting to see how our new forward line stucture goes. And one player that will be an integral part of this new structure will be Eddie Betts.

With the departure of "you know who" plus Cameron Cloke and the relative inexperience on Lachie Henderson, the reliance on our small forwards will be pretty heavy. None more the E.B. We will require every bit of his experience this year to do what he gets paid for, to kick goals.

The other young forwards - Yarran and Garlett in particular will be looking to E.B for a bit of guidence and leadership.
After the infamous xmas incident, by all reports he has come back the fittest he has ever been. His pre season form has been outstanding which clearly shows he has learnt form his mistakes. Hopefully this translates into him having a standout season and playing a major part in our march up the ladder.

I look forward to updating you on EB's season and hope there is only good news to post through out the year.

Remember, the water is always warm in the pond. :p
The Toad

Suspension 'turning point' for Betts
"It made me look at myself and say 'you only get one chance at AFL footy' and if you muck up you might not be here next year.

"It's been a long journey, but it's good to play 100 games - especially when I never got drafted [early on]. It's an honour and it will be good to play 100 games and get my name on the locker.

Betts paid tribute to former teammate Cory McGrath for his efforts in welcoming him to the club when he arrived as shy, nervous youngster.

Six years down the track Ratten praised Betts for performing a similar role.

"I think he's having a fantastic influence over Chris Yarran and Jeff Garlett in the way that he mentors those players and really assists them around the club," he said.
Suspension 'turning point' for Betts

I'd almost go as far as saying that the booze cruise preseason mishap was the best thing that has happened to Eddie in his career.

The incident was not a pretty one but it certainly seems as though it has served as a rocket up his bum. Improved fitness in every regard, which will translate to better performances on the field for longer periods of time.

Here's hoping that it doesn't just work for him this season, but rather every preseason between here and when he hangs up the boots in a number of years time.

Certainly a turning point in Eddie's career. Looking forward to seeing him out there on Saturday night where he can have a far better (and more accurate) game than last Thursday, representing the Carlton Football Club for the 100th time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back