Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker, this year, has beaten or drawn even with his opponent in all but one game. That was when he played on Cameron rather than Hawkins, the logical match up that day. No other North player comes close to a record like this.

McKay tries too many unrealistic pack marks and that's why he has such poor stats. That's an easy fix. Corr aint going to play and control key forwards. He was a good player in a very good Giants team playing as third defender.

The real problem I see with both Corr and Walker is their age. Both will be gone in three years.

The real Walker problem is who is going to replace him.

Ball doesn't get up that end of the ground to bother doing that
It will when we actually have kpps to kick to. We are getting it to HF consistently, we just don’t have the aerial control (due to lack of any KFs bar Larkey) to take that next step to kick inside 50 to lead to a score.

Adding anyone to help would improve this.

Just saw a graphic, apparently is top 10 for winning one on one contests vs his forward.

Loses the contest 18% of the time.

Fair effort for a defensive 50 that sees the ball as much as they do.

Just saw a graphic, apparently is top 10 for winning one on one contests vs his forward.

Loses the contest 18% of the time.

Fair effort for a defensive 50 that sees the ball as much as they do.

As a stopper he is more than earning his spot.

As a dynamic defender that can make quick decision and accurately execute them he is not. It has never been his go, and it is not on him that we are needing him to fill that role.

Especially in the junk defensive game we are playing.

I think he deserves another go next year, and is a break glass option and some depth. He would dominate the VFL
He absolutely does and likely won't start out as a break glass option. he will probably play a fair chunk of AFL next year.

TBH I can see his management asking for 2 years and as much as it won't be popular it would probably be prudent that we give it to him, with a view that through 23 he becomes the break glass VFL player and then in 24 is purely depth. Right now he is our most consistent KPB and our third most consistent KPP.

People can put their hands over their ears and deny it to themselves but it is what it is.

Our on ballers have been towelled up in every game, except one, People on this site will say LDU played well today without any idea of his direct opponent influence on the game. Given the constant rotations, which is what the public service does to avoid any real responsibilities, it is very difficult to keep track of the mid field match ups. Not so defenders like Walker.

Here's a thought. All of our on ballers have a lower man on man win ratio than Walker? The will have a far higher turn over rate than Walker? Jye S has more turn overs in a game than Walker has in half a season but we hear no call for a clean out of the mid field.

If I could clear out the list, its the mid field that loses us games so that's where we need to start to look critically. not our best defender

Our on ballers have been towelled up in every game, except one, People on this site will say LDU played well today without any idea of his direct opponent influence on the game. Given the constant rotations, which is what the public service does to avoid any real responsibilities, it is very difficult to keep track of the mid field match ups. Not so defenders like Walker.

Here's a thought. All of our on ballers have a lower man on man win ratio than Walker? The will have a far higher turn over rate than Walker? Jye S has more turn overs in a game than Walker has in half a season but we hear no call for a clean out of the mid field.

If I could clear out the list, its the mid field that loses us games so that's where we need to start to look critically. not our best defender
He defends well but he needs someone running past every time he has the ball.

He is glacially slow to make decisions. Usually by the time he does that quick kick option isn't an option any more.

We could work with it tho, it just means he needs someone running past for the quick give every time and he doesn't take kick outs or frees from oof.

He is glacially slow to make decisions. Usually by the time he does that quick kick option isn't an option any more.

We could work with it tho, it just means he needs someone running past for the quick give every time and he doesn't take kick outs or frees from oof.
I think more to the point is that he probably doesn’t have options upfield to kick to - as there are never any lead up options, and this is an ongoing issue for us across all lines. We therefore see the constant up the line kick to a contest…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would rather him as forward than defender.

provides contested marking which is a strength bonus is gives us another target to kick too.
plus removes his weakness - kicking skills, reduced turnovers in back half.
biggest issue team wide.
this coaching caper isn't that hard after all.😂😂

We need more players doing this in general.

Thank * Hall is back, he's the only one I have really noticed doing it which is uber frustrating when the rule changes have made it so much more effective.

As other have said, he is a very good stopper and is usually very good at spoiling on the lead without infringement.

His game (as has the team as a whole) has suffered for the lack of receivers coming out of HB. Not having Hall to rely on has meant that players like Walker have had to rely on their own comparatively mediocre decision making and creativity with ball in hand.

The year is completely cooked.

Get Dawson in when available, play both as stoppers and surround them with class. Add Thomas and Stephenson back to take the kicks and provide drive, let Bailey be the lockdown defender and McDonald and Young (7th Def) the intercept markers.

Release McKay forward so we actually have someone to kick to.

Teams like Adelaide built their teams around providing class behind the ball to slingshot their attack.

He’s good 1v1.

It’s the fact that he’s awful in every other category that’s the problem.
A month ago I feel like he fumbled everything and had no place in the team. I think he’s tidied up a lot since then and found form.

If he goes forward now I reckon he will add something. To be honest I think he would complement Larkey - especially if we can get him to use that girth to crash packs.

I assume there is no other North player that is anywhere near the top five in any category apart from the rising star winner

Josh got his first vote for the board B&F this week Phil. You might think its a bit late but better late than never.

if we lose by lots again the nongs on this site will vote for our onballers despite the fact they get thrashed every week. Josh and the defenders will be trashed.
I would ban any vote for an onballer unless he rates better than the best of the opposition.
Think about this.
Been on a drinking tour of Rome so a bit aggressive at the moment but the midfield has to win their positions for the second time this year

Josh had his forth zero goal conceded game. Most of his other games have been one goal conceded.

I wonder how Mick Martin would go playing in a side that loses as badly as we do. Not any better I would venture to suggest.

The full forwards were a bit better when Mick used to terrorise oppositions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back