Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

The Zero Sum Game of Current Politics.
(Is anyone really listening anymore in the culture war)

When every argument is divisive by being put through one of the two binary sieves that trigger distraction, disinformation and disillusionment, progress by any measure is in the weeds.

The 'Gender' or the 'Age' sieves of division, this article below on current USA politics has both.
When the divide between the haves and the have nots becomes more extreme any economic equality is being ignored because of these two prismatic arguments being continually parsed, no one is the better for it, it just keeps us in place without getting anywhere. A countering to 'It's the economy stupid' catch phrase of previous usage.

These same symptomatic arguments are playing out in our political sphere here in Australia, not just elsewhere.
A perfect example of this was yesterday's expedited National Cabinet summit on Domestic Violence, where some money was thrown at the problem via more funding for a notedly flawed program, enquiries/studies signalled kicking the can further down the road, the politicians get to say they have done their best (they have for their political ideological survival in the ratings game) end of story it's done/happened/solved. No progress was gained.

"For a growing percentage of young men, Cox wrote:

More young men, he added, “are adopting a zero-sum view of gender equality — if women gain, men will inevitably lose.”

"Richard Reeves, who wrote the book “Of Boys and Men: Why the Modern Male Is Struggling, Why It Matters and What to Do about It,” argued in a January essay posted on his Substack:

In this context, Reeves wrote, “Young men see feminism as having metastasized from a movement for equality for women into a movement against men, or at least against masculinity.”

Letters:
1/"A society with common resources that chooses to uplift women uplifts everyone. A society with resources controlled by the ultra rich will alienate one gender or the other by making them compete for artificially limited resources. Both democrats and republicans serve the ultra rich.We’re fighting each other for gender equality rather than taxing equitably."

2/"More young men, he added, “are adopting a zero-sum view of gender equality — if women gain, men will inevitably lose.”"As the old saying goes, for a group who was once privileged, equality will feel like oppression."

3/"Many young men see the left as the party of those who tell them that masculinity is toxic, even while encouraging girls and women to emulate the very traits called toxic when displayed by men (being confident, selfish, assertive, not taking no for an answer). They see liberals as scolds telling them they have unearned privilege, even as boys are less likely than girls to go to college and more likely to commit suicide."

4/"Toxic masculinity discourages empathy and social emotional skills and recently has also discouraged critical thinking, good behavior, and academic success as well. The end product is barely functional (or nonfunctional) adults"

5/"Isn’t it fascinating that the party of “take personal responsibility” and “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” is encouraging young men to do neither but rather to blame other people like women and immigrants for their disappointments now that the playing field is being leveled?"

6/"The dramatic shift in our overall economy has left millions of young men "behind", if you will, economically and socially, especially in those areas of the country that were historically blue collar and industrial based. Women now make up a large majority in colleges and universities. The "stories" of young men sitting alone in their parents' basement, playing video games and stewing about on the Internet and its conspiracy-based bombardment of disinformation is also a factor. Trump's incessant railing and perfidy contribute to their disengagement and feeling of "revenge." Trump's "campaign" has no basis other than retribution and revenge. He offers young people absolutely nothing of substance that will enhance their lives as evidenced by his threat once more to take away their healthcare. It is heartening that there seems to be some movement back towards Biden among minorities. An Israeli-Hamas ceasefire will help to some degree among young people who have drifted away from Biden. We are six months away...a lot can happen...I somehow remain hopeful that some core of young voters will focus on the "reality" that Trump is a disaster, won't help them at all, and Biden will at least give them some hope."

7/"Interesting that the gender gap is said to be caused by young males' acceptance of the "boys will be boys" attitude that has always been Trump's personal motto. Boys should be informed at a very young age that being male conveys no more rights or "allowances" to them than girls get. Trump should have been taught that lesson approximately 70 years ago.This is just another example of how that attitude has damaged the country. When attempting to correct the idea of "boys being boys" as acceptable behavior, often the cry is that the attempt discriminates against boys! In reality, all it does is remove any acceptance of boorish behavior--a lesson girls learn at a very young age."

8/"A lot of younger men are lost causes these days, blaming their shortcomings and mistakes on women instead of themselves. There's plenty of podcasters, bloggers, and others willing to reassure them of this."

9/"And young men need to open their minds to the possibility of power sharing with others, especially women. A rising tide lifts all boats."

10/"
Women's rights are being shredded by both the left and the right and open misogyny is on the rise, particularly online.Many haven't even noticed that sex discrimination, much to the surprise of women, no longer exists. Who knew?Now, the social construct of "gender", which changes like the wind across culture, time and space, has taken it's place.Instead of second class status, women are now being relegated to a constantly changing and ill-defined third class status."

11/"Ageism is the bias most integrated into our population. This makes sense. Someone explain the real world, and implicit bias to these young people."

12/"I had a mother give me the following advice “expect as much of your son as you would of your daughter”. It was kind of shocking when she first said it. However, over and over I’ve watched as parents expectations for their sons is significantly less than those for their daughters. This carries over into society too. Is it not empathizing or not expecting enough of them. I don’t know. Certainly not all young men are having an issue. Some are absolutely thriving. We hear very little about what the difference is for those thriving vs not."

13/"From the perspective of a Millennial with Gen z friends—America is broken. SCOTUS and Congress codify minority opinion and do not represent Americans, hence the overturning of Roe and the utter inability to enact any gun control. Our healthcare system is a for-profit enterprise that mistreats healthcare workers. Teachers are being asked to act as bodyguards while students are fodder for the 2nd amendment. The older generations have taken our future from us in the form of student loans and hoarding of resources, including housing. Higher education and home ownership are pipe dreams for many young people. The endless war profiteering is just another nail in the coffin. Why would we vote at all at this point? It seems America is so broken, why not let it fall and let something else rise? Young people are sick of being used to transfer wealth to corporations and older generations. I used to believe in our democracy, but since Citizens United and the overturning of Roe I don’t anymore. We are utterly lost."

Letter Chain 'Education is the problem':
1/"Look at the education system. Men have fallen massively behind, and some of that is due to external factors, but some of it is also directly tied to changes in the system.Since, say, the 1990s, there’s been an enormous shift in how students are assessed - away from the traditional sit down exam that tests knowledge and problem solving (which tends to relatively favor men) and towards projects and performance tasks that focus on following a rubric with less focus on knowledge (which women generally do massively better on). Pop quizzes mostly aren’t even allowed.There is an argument that some of this makes sense given the information driven world we live in, but I see no recognition of the challenge this has created for male students. A huge number of teachers grade students on organization and this skews results away from actual knowledge (I’m a math teacher and it’s not uncommon to hear colleagues say “he has a b but he’s the smartest kid in the class”).And as boys have felt increasingly alienated from an education system that heavily caters to women, there’s a ton of alienating messaging about what should be done to help girls and never anything about the struggles of boys (which are far worse).So young men, having been exposed to a progressivism that seems not to be attuned to their needs, aren’t progressive."
In Reply:
1/"I know lots of guys who preferred project work to tests. Our schools test scores show the males as having higher grades (including in math) up until the critical tests (states and regents). Then the girls score way higher. Those tests decide who goes to the elite schools later.I think that for younger grades all active students have been negatively impacted by the lack of physical activity.I think that the video game industry is much more focused on boys and men so they have been undoubtedly impacted more greatly. I see girls learning skills and boys becoming better gamers (which provides some opportunity but not much).Certainly there is a significant lack of male roll models within the education system and certainly missing from classrooms.That being said I question the data from back in the day. I was the top math student in my classes growing up. I spent years having my marks lowered or not getting the award despite having the higher mark so that it could go to a boy. The excuses and justifications from the teachers were astounding. Some would try to convince me to share first place, something they never asked the boys to do, change the marking scheme after the fact, change the rules of the game after the fact, or just say they knew the other child should have been first or received the higher mark. It started as young as grade one and extended through high school."

2/"I'd like to see you cite evidence for your claims about the supposed gender divide on academic material and rubric. This is, contrary to the sentiments you seemed to have expressed, a beneficial development in education. The traditional archetype of 'pop quizzes' and sit-down tests are harmful and polarizing within the classroom. Perhaps this can explain the downfall of male performance within the classroom. In a way, our education system is most certainly egalitarianizing; this is not only the trend of the classroom but the mark of our age. We do not need to uphold some students on a pedestal anymore, but rather test the adaptive academic vigor of our new generation."

3/" "changes in the system" were badly needed. For most of the 20th century, the education system heavily catered to men (and before that there was pretty much no education for women). Women and girls were disadvantaged at every turn. They fought tooth and nail to be allowed to enter training for a wide range of professions. When I started my electronics/computing degree in 1984 I was one of 4 women in a class of 120. In those days "girls don't do engineering" was the normal career advice, and girls massively underperformed boys in STEM in school, because of how it was taught (or in many cases, not taught: electronics or shop class ... boys only!). Welcome to the 21st century, where being female is no longer an automatic disqualification and girls can dream of any career they desire."
I knew this would end with someone suggesting that schools were to blame.

Great read. I’ve been surrounded by the is stuff for 34 years. Feminism is not the problem, it is the solution to the problem. The ‘noise about boys’ may well be generated by some sincere and well meaning people, but it is amplified by powerful reactionary forces for political and social gain. It is also a victim blaming smokescreen to hide the consequences and failings of end stage Capitalism.

Good morning Pam and 3KZ! Once again, you've given me some great reading with plenty to consider.

The state of society in the US leads me to despair. The situation with SCOTUS and the disparate power they wield is just evil. I followed the last presidential election far too closely which didn't do my mental health any good at all.

Have a great day folks. I'm going to walk in the sunshine and feel grateful.

It's Beautiful - Spiderbait

Walking in daydreams I float along,
Sometimes I wonder where I belong,
Sweet imperfection is all I see,
This is the best place
Where i want to be.
Secrets are no surprise,
Hush now don't ask me why.
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
So Beautiful.
Your heart has a beat worth remembering.
I just can't wait for the drums to kick in.
We're gonna take on the world tonight,
It might be all wrong,
But we'll be alright.
This is our last goodbye,
Don't Speak, Don't ask me why.
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
So Beautiful.
I always get a little sentimental when
When the light shines from your eyes.
Let's hit the road and head to the
Never never as this day returns to night.
And when I close my eyes,
This could be almost paradise.
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
So Beautiful.
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
So Beautiful.
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
It's Beautiful,
So Beautiful.
Your heart has a beat worth remembering,
Your heart has a beat worth remembering.

You can get so much mileage out of a good riff ‘n’ groove.

You certainly can and the lawyers can make even more out of it.
In today's NYTimes this article.

Music Biz Files:

Letters:
Always the letters are interesting as this conversation deepens:

Niall 3rd Stone from the Sun
There are thousands of words in the dictionary so it is relatively simple to create a novel phrase or paragraph. The possibilities for poetry are endless. As such, I can understand copyright as it relates to original works of unique strings of words.
On the other hand, there are only 12 notes in the Western chromatic scale and there are only 7 notes in the average scale. There are only a few simple chords that make up the vast majority of popular songs. There are only a few chord changes and groupings that make up popular songs. Most of these were developed long before the advent of modern popular music and have no copyrights available.
Not everyone can be John Coltrane or Ornette Coleman, and, in fact, that wouldn’t be “popular” music.
The idea that something like a I, IV, V chord progression can even be original, much less copyrighted, is not only ridiculous but also stifles creativity. I might be able to get behind limited copyright for a lengthy musical composition with very specific melodies or strings of notes, but not a couple of standard chord changes.

Etaoin Shrdlu Tucson
Originally the word “song” was formed from the verb “to sing”. That is, there had to be lyrics for it to be a song. Tunes were instrumental melodies without lyrics. However, there was no collective noun that meant both songs and tunes. For marketing purposes a collective noun was needed. Somehow the word “song” was pressed into that service, and now we see it everywhere.
This is just one aspect of the commodification of music. Not so long ago, before Thomas Edison, music was only live performance. You could buy sheet music, and before that broadside ballads, but those were so you could perform the music yourself. There was no way to purchase the music itself except paying musicians to perform it.
Now the word “music” has morphed into usually meaning recordings of music, not the actual music. It is a commodity. Copyright law has lagged far behind, as the images in this article demonstrate. The sheets of hand-written musical notation look very quaint.
Until very recently it was expensive to make and distribute a recording: wax records, vinyl records, cassette tapes, CDs. This made regulating the industry possible.
Now I could, without getting out of my chair, record something on my phone and post it to YouTube. Almost anyone can do it. This changes everything. There is no way copyright law can control such a widespread and fluid situation.
In reply
TomH
Long Island, NY
Music (notes) and lyrics are copyright protected the moment they are published in fixed form (including YouTube or anywhere else on the internet) with no requirement to register with the copyright office. Registration with the copyright office helps to definitively put all the pieces together (songwriter(s), dates, notation, lyrics in one place) but as I mention is not required to stake your claim.
Etaoin Shrdlu
Tucson
@TomH of course you are right, but my point was if anyone and everyone can do it from anywhere in the world, these regulations are little more than good intentions. It is difficult enough to regulate an industry, but impossible to regulate something so widespread.

Marc Domash Los Angeles
Copyright law has basically extended the life of any material for one hundred plus years. Given how little originality there is in most popular songs, applying an expansive definition of copyright is just a way lo "locking in" most common musical elements (this was the attempt in the "Let's Get It On" lawsuit). These will be owned by large corporations and anyone who composes something in the future will have to pay royalties to these corporations. Why should we create a new set of property rights to enrich those who are already enriched? We see the same phenomenon in patent law, where PAE (patent assertion entities) simply patented relatively obvious approaches to technological problems and then shook down new firms. This has been reduced somewhat by allowing interested parties to submit evidence of prior art while the patent is pending (and there is almost always evidence of prior art, since most of these things are obvious), but it is hard to see how a similar system would work for music.

MM NC
Musicians/Songwriters know a lazy rip off and even clever ones when they hear it.
I'm still raging that nobody seemed to notice the big hit "Stay With Me" by Sam Smith was a note for note rip off of Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down". Sing it over the other and get back to me.
Josh Groban's "You Lift Me Up" is a note for note copy of "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler. Exact copy - even the tempo. And nobody cared or noticed
And don't get me started on Bruno Mars who owes his whole career to Morris Day and the Time, James Brown and the Police, with barely anything original added.
So much of Pop Culture nowadays is Reboots and Rehashes this is becoming an impossible task,

itsjustamovie Los Angeles
Can you imagine if classical music were judged on these standards? The lines between inspiration, imitation and theft are very very thin.

Rich from Philly Philly
The heart of country music ("three chords and the truth") is only kept beating because of what used to be called The Nashville Rule: a tacit agreement not to sue for similar (sometimes very similar) songs and song ideas. The idea was, "You make money, I make money, and the lawyers go hungry."
Let's face it, there is very little which is musically new under the sun. The syncopated I-vi-IV-I pattern used in the Gaye song is also the basis for Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready" released eight years ante. And if you don't think Marvin knew Curtis' music, there's a bridge in Brooklyn....

JP Thomas North America
There was a great article by Rodd McLeod published 24 years ago in Salon about the very fuzzy line in contemporary pop music between composition and arrangement. It's wild that a quarter of a century later, this issue is still not settled in a legal sense. I'd recommend reading "The reeducation of Lauryn Hill" by McLeod, published May 10, 2000, to understand the issues at stake here.

That Recommendation on further reading:

Talk about pop muzik(Shoobie doobie doo-wop)I wanna dedicate it(Bop bop shoo-wop)Everybody made it(Shoobie doobie doo-wop)Infiltrate it(Bop bop shoo-wop)Activate it

Last edited:
LSD History Files:
The obituary below contains some background of this history that I found interesting, as it fills in pieces of the puzzle of facts rather than mythologies.

You certainly can and the lawyers can make even more out of it.
In today's NYTimes this article.

Music Biz Files:

Letters:
Always the letters are interesting as this conversation deepens:

Niall 3rd Stone from the Sun
There are thousands of words in the dictionary so it is relatively simple to create a novel phrase or paragraph. The possibilities for poetry are endless. As such, I can understand copyright as it relates to original works of unique strings of words.
On the other hand, there are only 12 notes in the Western chromatic scale and there are only 7 notes in the average scale. There are only a few simple chords that make up the vast majority of popular songs. There are only a few chord changes and groupings that make up popular songs. Most of these were developed long before the advent of modern popular music and have no copyrights available.
Not everyone can be John Coltrane or Ornette Coleman, and, in fact, that wouldn’t be “popular” music.
The idea that something like a I, IV, V chord progression can even be original, much less copyrighted, is not only ridiculous but also stifles creativity. I might be able to get behind limited copyright for a lengthy musical composition with very specific melodies or strings of notes, but not a couple of standard chord changes.

Etaoin Shrdlu Tucson
Originally the word “song” was formed from the verb “to sing”. That is, there had to be lyrics for it to be a song. Tunes were instrumental melodies without lyrics. However, there was no collective noun that meant both songs and tunes. For marketing purposes a collective noun was needed. Somehow the word “song” was pressed into that service, and now we see it everywhere.
This is just one aspect of the commodification of music. Not so long ago, before Thomas Edison, music was only live performance. You could buy sheet music, and before that broadside ballads, but those were so you could perform the music yourself. There was no way to purchase the music itself except paying musicians to perform it.
Now the word “music” has morphed into usually meaning recordings of music, not the actual music. It is a commodity. Copyright law has lagged far behind, as the images in this article demonstrate. The sheets of hand-written musical notation look very quaint.
Until very recently it was expensive to make and distribute a recording: wax records, vinyl records, cassette tapes, CDs. This made regulating the industry possible.
Now I could, without getting out of my chair, record something on my phone and post it to YouTube. Almost anyone can do it. This changes everything. There is no way copyright law can control such a widespread and fluid situation.
In reply
TomH
Long Island, NY
Music (notes) and lyrics are copyright protected the moment they are published in fixed form (including YouTube or anywhere else on the internet) with no requirement to register with the copyright office. Registration with the copyright office helps to definitively put all the pieces together (songwriter(s), dates, notation, lyrics in one place) but as I mention is not required to stake your claim.
Etaoin Shrdlu
Tucson
@TomH of course you are right, but my point was if anyone and everyone can do it from anywhere in the world, these regulations are little more than good intentions. It is difficult enough to regulate an industry, but impossible to regulate something so widespread.

Marc Domash Los Angeles
Copyright law has basically extended the life of any material for one hundred plus years. Given how little originality there is in most popular songs, applying an expansive definition of copyright is just a way lo "locking in" most common musical elements (this was the attempt in the "Let's Get It On" lawsuit). These will be owned by large corporations and anyone who composes something in the future will have to pay royalties to these corporations. Why should we create a new set of property rights to enrich those who are already enriched? We see the same phenomenon in patent law, where PAE (patent assertion entities) simply patented relatively obvious approaches to technological problems and then shook down new firms. This has been reduced somewhat by allowing interested parties to submit evidence of prior art while the patent is pending (and there is almost always evidence of prior art, since most of these things are obvious), but it is hard to see how a similar system would work for music.

MM NC
Musicians/Songwriters know a lazy rip off and even clever ones when they hear it.
I'm still raging that nobody seemed to notice the big hit "Stay With Me" by Sam Smith was a note for note rip off of Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down". Sing it over the other and get back to me.
Josh Groban's "You Lift Me Up" is a note for note copy of "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler. Exact copy - even the tempo. And nobody cared or noticed
And don't get me started on Bruno Mars who owes his whole career to Morris Day and the Time, James Brown and the Police, with barely anything original added.
So much of Pop Culture nowadays is Reboots and Rehashes this is becoming an impossible task,

itsjustamovie Los Angeles
Can you imagine if classical music were judged on these standards? The lines between inspiration, imitation and theft are very very thin.

Rich from Philly Philly
The heart of country music ("three chords and the truth") is only kept beating because of what used to be called The Nashville Rule: a tacit agreement not to sue for similar (sometimes very similar) songs and song ideas. The idea was, "You make money, I make money, and the lawyers go hungry."
Let's face it, there is very little which is musically new under the sun. The syncopated I-vi-IV-I pattern used in the Gaye song is also the basis for Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready" released eight years ante. And if you don't think Marvin knew Curtis' music, there's a bridge in Brooklyn....

JP Thomas North America
There was a great article by Rodd McLeod published 24 years ago in Salon about the very fuzzy line in contemporary pop music between composition and arrangement. It's wild that a quarter of a century later, this issue is still not settled in a legal sense. I'd recommend reading "The reeducation of Lauryn Hill" by McLeod, published May 10, 2000, to understand the issues at stake here.

That Recommendation on further reading:

Talk about pop muzik(Shoobie doobie doo-wop)I wanna dedicate it(Bop bop shoo-wop)Everybody made it(Shoobie doobie doo-wop)Infiltrate it(Bop bop shoo-wop)Activate it

I’m working on one at the minute and it was annoying me but the chord change at the start of each verse was bugging me. I played it over and over until I worked out it was the opening to The Go-Betweens, “Love is a Sign”. The solution was to simply reverse the chords and instead of playing:
D - Cadd9, I just played Cadd9 - D.
Sounded ok and the problem was solved. Often this sort of thing is unintentional, but once you realise, you have to change it.

May the fourth be with you.
So long ago that we saw this in our teens.
One of the markers of the era.
I saw it at the Forum in Flinders St the year of release with my big sister:

Yep. Saw it at the cinema on Hunter St in Newcastle when it was released.

It's also my 27th wedding anniversary today.

Have a good one!

Jinx 👏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Homage v’s Aural Robbery

Here is one I find interesting. The George Harrison song, I Want To Tell You, which appeared on Revolver, was a classic example of Imperial Beatles Acid Electric Rock.

About a year after it was recorded and some months after its release, The Monkees recorded the Goffin/King song, Pleasant Valley Sunday. Looking for a riff, their producer, Chip Douglas, based the riff that appears on the Monkees track on the George Harrison riff, albeit, at a different tempo. Both songs are in a set of covers I like to bust out when I’m mucking about and they always feel similar when playing them. Certainly an homage. In both cases after the riff the songs then land on an A chord before diverging.

Love them both, but a good example in my mind of influence rather than theft.

Last edited:

Same here. Bob Mould channels his inner Pixie 🧚. This sounds like it could be on Doolittle. Soft, Loud, Soft, Loud, Soft, Loud. Rhythm guitar has a Wave of Mutilation thing going on.

Last edited:

The other cinemas for a BLOCKBUSTER 70’s experience were the Greater Union in Russell St and the Hoyts in Burke Street.

The other cinemas for a BLOCKBUSTER 70’s experience were the Greater Union in Russell St and the Hoyts in Burke Street.
I remember going to the Greater Union more than Hoyts.
We would come down to see the latest films as it would take about 8 months to a year to get to Castlemaine in the 1970's.
Not often but if we really wanted to be part of the 'cultural in the know' we would.

Real Estate the POW & Tolarno's in Fitzroy St and the Flinders Lane....Grand Sale, Grand Sale, Grand Sale...as Franco Cozzo would have said.

1714850521741.jpeg
It is so disappointing to be going backwards politically and culturally. The Whitlam years seem to me, looking back, a cultural high water mark.

At the time though, politics was for the big kids. In 1974 we got Countdown and that was much more important.

Listening to this now it all sounds so Australian, even when it is a cover of an old R’n’R staple like Bony Moronie. It really was only an attitudinal hop skip and a jump to the ‘left of the dial’ music of the Australian Indie / Alternative / Pub Rock Scenes some five or six years later.

P.S. Some of these blokes need to put shirts on.

P.P.S. Disclaimer: I think Pamcake1 might have been more ‘evolved’ than me at this stage. I seem to recall there might have been some Deep Purple in her ‘musical backstory’.

P.P.P.S The ‘Daryl U Spunk’ sign in the clip for Summer Love makes me laugh. It is a three word Time Machine.

Last edited:

Aged 13, I’m actually in this clip at 1.32. I’m not the least bit interested in Mark Holden, but the studio equipment is intriguing.

Aged 13, I’m actually in this clip at 1.32. I’m not the least bit interested in Mark Holden, but the studio equipment is intriguing.

Brilliant.

And a gentle reminder to me as well. I'm part of a crowd scene today and I had better concentrate on the action and not the people who make it happen.

Countdown.....opened with the transmission of Skyhooks 'Horror Movie', Double J opened transmission with Skyhooks 'You Just Like Me Cause I'm Good In Bed'. A massive 6 tracks of the Skyhooks album, Living In The 70's were banned on radio, including the oone that opened JJ in an act of defiance this was the first time it was played on radio..setting the agenda.

I fell down the rabbit hole investigating Skyhooks before having to race off to pick up my Dad and take him to breakfast.
Found some very interesting ephemera below, mainly relating to 1974-75.
Interesting to see original graphics of posters of the era and some famed Melbs venues and concerts. There is one Sydney piece of ephemera.

1974.jpg

1975 They played the 2nd Sunbury
140887448_3722280257851734_3910087997265205724_n.jpg
83325436_2776016375811465_2765261762352644096_n.jpg

1974 The days of the Student Union Concerts:
14:8:74 Richmond townhall.jpg

1974 Gig Poster for Skyhooks by Niels who also did the cover of Living in The 70's
1974 gig poster Niels des.jpg

Getting mobbed at Moomba 1975
moomba 1975.jpg

1976 after the USA tour
123400102_3505025419577220_6773444359874451892_n.jpg

75588136_2624906357589135_7384786959383658496_n.jpg

1979 (?)
439960494_937885261672268_2292822042804506559_n.jpg

Love the below bit of silliness:
120037131_3388810701198693_1461782494743646452_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back