2012 Champions League Final

Remove this Banner Ad

There was something quite distatseful about seeing Terry lifting the trophy. Contrast it with Keane 13 years ago; sat in the stands while he let his teammates who actually won the final take the glory.

Indeed. Possibly the low point of the night seeing him large it up in kit as if he had anything to do with the match.

Do Terry and co who missed out of the game, does it still count they were part of a Champions League team or does it only count for the players who were in the squad?

Personally I think both Tottenham and Chelsea should be in the CL next season. I believe (probably because I support Everton) that if the CL winner already qualifies for the CL by league position, then the next placed team should get a CL berth. As an example, Man United won the CL in 2008-09 and the League, Under my system because Man United won it and already qualifies for the following one, the fifth placed team gets a spot in the CL (as there are four spots for the English League). It will reward the country for producing the European winners.

Supporters, managers clubs etc. are forever whining about how transfer fees and wages have gone through the roof and aren't sustainable.

I believe that this has come about because of the way the "Champions" League is set up.

During the 1990's, when Johansson and his grubs decided to "get some of the action" by turning what was then, a competition for only, the champions of European domestic leagues into a pseudo league for the top 2,3,4 teams in all leagues, the European Champion Clubs' Cup stopped being a competition to find the Champion of the Champions but rather, a new League in competition with domestic leagues.

In other words, a "super league" and as a consequence, because this "super league" is played concurrently with domestic leagues, player values have sky rocketed because there are about two dozen clubs across Europe who get into bidding wars to lure "elite" players because they are basically assured of playing in the "elite" league (Champions League).

This has had the effect of greatly widening the gap between the rich and poor clubs and whereas the majority of rich clubs lose money hand over fist in an attempt to buy "the best", the poor clubs cannot compete and if they attempt to do so, they end up like Porstmouth.

The only way to bring transfer fees down and to make football sustainable and accessible to the true, everyday football fan in europe is to turn the European Champion Clubs' Cup into just what it's supposed to be ie. a tournament just for League Champions.

It should revert to being a true Cup "type" competition where all the League Champions are drawn out of a hat to see who plays who on a home and away basis and the winners go onto the next round.

It will stop the lunacy of ridiculous transfer fees and give smaller, middle-of-the-road clubs a chance to compete and build and prosper based on merit and not on spending power.

Indeed. Possibly the low point of the night seeing him large it up in kit as if he had anything to do with the match.

What about the other 3 who were kitted up? Ivanovic, Meireles, Ramires? Are they all ***** for doing the same thing?

I find it quite funny that everyone's calling Terry out for doing what he did, when the other 3 haven't even been mentioned. And it's not just on this board either. Talk about a persecution complex...

What about the other 3 who were kitted up? Ivanovic, Meireles, Ramires? Are they all ***** for doing the same thing?

I find it quite funny that everyone's calling Terry out for doing what he did, when the other 3 haven't even been mentioned. And it's not just on this board either. Talk about a persecution complex...

The others arent as big a **** as Terry.

The others arent as big a **** as Terry.

And that's ultimately what it comes downs to with you haters. Don't give me this kit s**t as a smokescreen. You just don't like him plain and simple. Wouldn't have mattered what he did...

Congratulations to Chelsea- unexpected (bit like Liverpool in 2005), and a lot of spirit and heart. Lucky at times, but the winners usually have a bit of luck from time to time.

And that's ultimately what it comes downs to with you haters. Don't give me this kit s**t as a smokescreen. You just don't like him plain and simple. Wouldn't have mattered what he did...

Smokecreen for what. A **** acting like a **** being the low point of the night hardly needs a smokecreen.

Smokecreen for what. A **** acting like a **** being the low point of the night hardly needs a smokecreen.

Mate he's been the most integral player at the club in the last decade. The fans, players and coaches all love him. We all wanted to see him up there lifting the trophy and he wanted to be a part of it.

Would not have felt right as a Chelsea fan for John Terry not to be there on the podium.

I can understand people hating on him because they don't like him. And that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But please, don't tell me "Ohh what a **** wearing his kit making it look like he was part of the winning team" Serious question - what the **** did you expect him to wear, singlet and boardies? Trackies and a hoodie?

FFS.

Your perfectly entitled to your opinion. But you seem to be reluctant to allow me my opinion that it was a low point of the night.

I dont expect you to agree, I dont care if you do or not.

But for me it was a sickening sight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about a suit.

Would rather see him in team colours. Same goes for the other 3 guys who were suspended too. And I'm sure they all much preferred to wear the kit.

They were as much a part of the winning team as any. We don't get to the Final without either of Ramires or JT. Ivanovic and Meireles both played important roles too. They deserved to celebrate with the team as they wanted.

Your perfectly entitled to your opinion. But you seem to be reluctant to allow me my opinion that it was a low point of the night.

I dont expect you to agree, I dont care if you do or not.

But for me it was a sickening sight.

That's fine ...but it's what part of it sickens you I guess I have a problem with (although I'm guessing it's pretty the whole thing haha)

Seriously though, he did nothing wrong in wearing the team colours and lifting trophy. Absolutely nothing IMO

World Cup winner has to earn the right to defend...
They do, now.

Personally I think both Tottenham and Chelsea should be in the CL next season.
I do too. I don't think a league should get an extra place if the winner finishes in a qualifying position, but I think they should if the winner doesn't finish in a qualifying position. Tottenham should at least go into the qualifying rounds.

Terry is a pathetic individual. If he wasn't such a ****, people wouldn't hate him.

I just watched the penalty shootout for the 25th time.

I still can't believe we are European Champions. We are the luckiest winners of all time, and I don't care. Fact is, we had been the unluckiest team in Europe over the past eight years.

03/04 - Semi Final loss to Monaco after being one goal up and with a player advantage.
04/05 - Semi Final loss to Liverpool after Luis Garcia scored a ghost goal.
05/06 - Round of sixteen loss to eventual champions Barca.
06/07 - Semi Final loss to Liverpool on penalties.
07/08 - Lost the Final to Manchester United on penalties.
08/09 - Semi Final loss to Barca on away goals after Henning Ovrebro gifted them the win.
09/10 - Round of sixteen loss to eventual champions Inter.
10/11 - Quarter Final loss to Manchester United.

Six of the past nine years we have made at least the Semi Final stage and, until this campaign, we had been incredibly stiff not to have added our name to the champions list. I think it was only fitting that this time, the Football Gods were on our side.

1) We had our work cut out when we had to win our final match in gameweek six to make it through to the knockout stages.

2) We had to fight back from a 3-1 opening leg deficit to beat Napoli in Extra Time. I thought we were gone.

3) We had to fight back from 2-0 down at the Nou Camp (2-1 on aggregate). I thought we were gone.

4) Then we had to fight back from 2-1 down on aggregate with ten men. I definitely thought we were gone.

5) Then Messi had a penalty to regain their lead after Ramires fired Chelsea ahead on away goals. I most definitely thought we were gone, but then he hit the crossbar.

6) We were 1-0 down after 81 minutes in the Final. I thought we were gone. Then Drogba equalised.

7) Drogba turned from hero to villain and awarded Bayern a penalty in Extra Time. Once again, I thought we were gone, but then up stepped Cech.

8) Bayern went ahead in the penalty shootout after goals to Lahm, Gomez and Neuer, while Mata missed Chelsea's first kick. When Olic stepped up to take Bayern's fourth kick, they were 3-2 ahead in the shootout. Once again, I thought we were gone.

BUT NO! TIME AND TIME AGAIN, WE FOUGHT BACK FROM SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE POSITIONS. REMARKABLE!

I still can't believe we are European Champions. We are the luckiest winners of all time, and I don't care. Fact is, we had been the unluckiest team in Europe over the past eight years.

03/04 - Semi Final loss to Monaco after being one goal up and with a player advantage.
08/09 - Semi Final loss to Barca on away goals after Henning Ovrebro gifted them the win.

Six of the past nine years we have made at least the Semi Final stage and, until this campaign, we had been incredibly stiff not to have added our name to the champions list. I think it was only fitting that this time, the Football Gods were on our side.

1) We had our work cut out when we had to win our final match in gameweek six to make it through to the knockout stages.

2) We had to fight back from a 3-1 opening leg deficit to beat Napoli in Extra Time. I thought we were gone.

3) We had to fight back from 2-0 down at the Nou Camp (2-1 on aggregate). I thought we were gone.

4) Then we had to fight back from 2-1 down on aggregate with ten men. I definitely thought we were gone.

5) Then Messi had a penalty to regain their lead after Ramires fired Chelsea ahead on away goals. I most definitely thought we were gone, but then he hit the crossbar.

6) We were 1-0 down after 81 minutes in the Final. I thought we were gone. Then Drogba equalised.

7) Drogba turned from hero to villain and awarded Bayern a penalty in Extra Time. Once again, I thought we were gone, but then up stepped Cech.

8) Bayern went ahead in the penalty shootout after goals to Lahm, Gomez and Neuer, while Mata missed Chelsea's first kick. When Olic stepped up to take Bayern's fourth kick, they were 3-2 ahead in the shootout. Once again, I thought we were gone.

BUT NO! TIME AND TIME AGAIN, WE FOUGHT BACK FROM SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE POSITIONS. REMARKABLE!
How is it bad luck when Chelsea clearly were not good enough in most of those years? Only bad luck were the losses on penalties and the Norweigan referee in the semi final. Still could've lost that final.

Great post mate.

Chelsea have been super unlucky in europe but garcias goal was a goal. And this is comong from a mourinho lover.

How is it bad luck when Chelsea clearly were not good enough in most of those years? Only bad luck were the losses on penalties and the Norweigan referee in the semi final. Still could've lost that final.
They hit the pkst twice during normal time against manchester united and once on the winning penalty.
Barca game was the denied penalties.
Against inter? Denied a very obvious pen in th first leg and a other obvious one in the second.... Thats unlucly.
Even the first time against liverpool i remember a drive/pass just flqshing past thr post at the end. Still have. O idea how it missed....
They have definitely done enough to warrant their luck and this group of players have finally won it.
So happy for drogba and lampard. The rest i couldnt give a s**t about.

They hit the pkst twice during normal time against manchester united and once on the winning penalty.
Barca game was the denied penalties.
Against inter? Denied a very obvious pen in th first leg and a other obvious one in the second.... Thats unlucly.
Even the first time against liverpool i remember a drive/pass just flqshing past thr post at the end. Still have. O idea how it missed....
They have definitely done enough to warrant their luck and this group of players have finally won it.
So happy for drogba and lampard. The rest i couldnt give a s**t about.
On iphone in bus. Please excuse the typos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back