2012 starts now.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was not that many years ago they had $50-$60k stashed away that was ear marked for offices of the WFL. Not sure what the arrangements are with the Firebrace Street premises but the clubs need to start asking some questions as to where the money is going or gone? Not even sure the clubs are issued with financial statements for the league.

I am sure they would be made available at AGM every year, but do clubs actually look and take notice?

I have noticed the District League paying dividends to its clubs, but then again their commission appears to be go getters not snouts in the trough!

The apathy of the clubs towards the league is appalling. Clubs are just happy to sit back and blame everyone else for their failings.

Make the commission accountable to the clubs. Ask questions regards the financial arrangements of the league.

Comparing people of the calibre of Ken Mc Clean, Peter Harradine and Neil King to pigs with their ‘snouts in the trough’ is an utter disgrace and a new low in the Horsham Footballs Clubs campaign against the WFL commission and the current umpires group. These men have given a large part of their lives to Football in the area and to suggest that they do this work for a jacket or a half time sandwich is utterly rotten. To imply there is something dodgy going on behind the scenes with no evidence....disgrace.
Horsham does itself no favours by continuing to besmirch the reputation of good country people.

My tip is other clubs will continue to support the commission and their efforts to improve the League in what has been a difficult environment over the last 30 years.

On interleague.

At the end of the day the Wimmera Football League clubs produced the best team it could and was beaten by a superior team/league. This now puts the league in a position where for season 2013 or 2014 it may very well be declared a minor league while the Horsham District League and the Mallee League will be major leagues. The ramifications for current WFL clubs is enormous.....how many players would they lose to play at a ‘higher standard’ if any?? What are the funding ramifications? You can’t blame the Commission who have pumped an enormous amount of money into interleague over the last five years. I would imagine no league representative in Western Victoria would have more money spent on them to get them to an interleague game.

I tell you what else didn't help the cause on Saturday was having IMO the 4 best players in the league not playing for various reasons.

Peter Macfarlane, Steve Schultz, Damien Skurrie & Dylan Parish all did not play, but if they had of lined up you could say that-

Macfarlane would play CHF
Schultz would play Centre
Skurrie would play CHB
Parish would play FF

You could also throw in Terry Arnel at FB to give the side a full spine, don't underestimate how much difference these blokes would have made, the match would've been much much closer. This would also have allowed other players to play in different positions & positions they are perhaps more comfortable playing in.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter because history says Wimmera got beaten by Mallee, but I just feel it couldv'e been so much different.

Thoughts?

I tell you what else didn't help the cause on Saturday was having IMO the 4 best players in the league not playing for various reasons.

Peter Macfarlane, Steve Schultz, Damien Skurrie & Dylan Parish all did not play, but if they had of lined up you could say that-

Macfarlane would play CHF
Schultz would play Centre
Skurrie would play CHB
Parish would play FF

You could also throw in Terry Arnel at FB to give the side a full spine, don't underestimate how much difference these blokes would have made, the match would've been much much closer. This would also have allowed other players to play in different positions & positions they are perhaps more comfortable playing in.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter because history says Wimmera got beaten by Mallee, but I just feel it couldv'e been so much different.

Thoughts?

Fair call. I guess with the ratings it’s about getting the best team you can on the park year in year out?

Not too sure about the 'snouts in the trough' comment but otherwise I couldn't agree more with what Slenko had to say.

Good to see some new blood on the commission this season (MOSTLY well respected, trustworthy people too - apart from one MUPPET/PUPPET), but how much of a say do they really have???

FAR to much power to the head honcho. Surely it is obvious that the WFL is run by a dictatorship NOT a commission?

This new blood has simply replaced the former respected and trusted commisioners who dared to speak out of turn.

This Dictatorships model is DANGEROUS and has been festering for some years. It is no wonder the health of the league has never been worse and boy it has been enjoyable seeing some humble pie being eaten by the BIG KAHUNA himself!

You only need to look to neighbouring leagues to see how well they share the load and are so passionate and energetic about their league - no ego's or big noting of themselves. Working in with the clubs and having an intimate relationship with them, continually PUTTING BACK INTO them rather than TAKING from them!

But still, complete APATHY from the Wimmera Clubs who are happy to go about their business rather then make their CHIEF COMMISSIONER more accountable to serve them as he has been elected to do!

Fancy, as for your comment regarding never had more spent on them, pardon my ignorance but what was spent on them this season when surely their pride was on the line as much as any year? My mail was that all players made their own way to and from the ground - such great comradery?

Not too sure about the 'snouts in the trough' comment but otherwise I couldn't agree more with what Slenko had to say.

Good to see some new blood on the commission this season (MOSTLY well respected, trustworthy people too - apart from one MUPPET/PUPPET), but how much of a say do they really have???

FAR to much power to the head honcho. Surely it is obvious that the WFL is run by a dictatorship NOT a commission?

This new blood has simply replaced the former respected and trusted commisioners who dared to speak out of turn.

This Dictatorships model is DANGEROUS and has been festering for some years. It is no wonder the health of the league has never been worse and boy it has been enjoyable seeing some humble pie being eaten by the BIG KAHUNA himself!

You only need to look to neighbouring leagues to see how well they share the load and are so passionate and energetic about their league - no ego's or big noting of themselves. Working in with the clubs and having an intimate relationship with them, continually PUTTING BACK INTO them rather than TAKING from them!

But still, complete APATHY from the Wimmera Clubs who are happy to go about their business rather then make their CHIEF COMMISSIONER more accountable to serve them as he has been elected to do!

Fancy, as for your comment regarding never had more spent on them, pardon my ignorance but what was spent on them this season when surely their pride was on the line as much as any year? My mail was that all players made their own way to and from the ground - such great comradery?

Nice use of caps lock and the phrase ‘Big Kahuna’.:thumbsu:

Fair call. I guess with the ratings it’s about getting the best team you can on the park year in year out?

That's a fair call, but remember the Mallee had a fair few out as well all who are quality players. As already has been said the best team on the park won on the day.

The phrase was used in a stand alone sentence in regards District League Commission "I have noticed the District League paying dividends to its clubs, but then again their commission appears to be go getters not snouts in the trough!"

Some people go on committees for the love of the game others are in it for themselves, hence the comparison from one end of the scale to the other.

District League Commission seem to be in unison on being there for the love of the game and it pays dividends for the league.

Saying that I could tell you some stories of WFL commission of a by gone era that would make your blood boil!

Ben pollack banned for 2 weeks?? Half his luck the way nhill are going!:)

What the? How can they suspend Pollack who is to be fair only a fringe interleague player when several gun and previously proven interleague players sat the game out yet will quite happily play for their clubs this weekend?

“the phrase was used in a stand alone sentence”.

It doesn’t matter how many weasel words are used...it’s wrong to shoot from undercover at good men.

Yep, sounds like Ben was pretty stiff, firstly to get 2wks instead of one and also cos it appears as though the commision has decided to create this policy in retrospect? I may be wrong, but were players warned that if they didnt play they would be suspended? I agree that suspensions should happen if players dont make themselves available but you have to be up front and clear about this.

Anyhow is there truth that ben acted as a runner in nhills loss yesterday? How can that work? Might cause further friction with jordy burke given he has been coaching from the top of a wheelie bin next to the coaches box due to not being able to enter the field due to suspension?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“the phrase was used in a stand alone sentence”.

It doesn’t matter how many weasel words are used...it’s wrong to shoot from undercover at good men.

It seems to me that there are two sets of standards here..one for Fancy and one for everyone else!

Comparing people of the calibre of Ken Mc Clean, Peter Harradine and Neil King to pigs with their ‘snouts in the trough’ is an utter disgrace and a new low in the Horsham Footballs Clubs campaign against the WFL commission and the current umpires group. These men have given a large part of their lives to Football in the area and to suggest that they do this work for a jacket or a half time sandwich is utterly rotten. To imply there is something dodgy going on behind the scenes with no evidence....disgrace.
Horsham does itself no favours by continuing to besmirch the reputation of good country people.

My tip is other clubs will continue to support the commission and their efforts to improve the League in what has been a difficult environment over the last 30 years.
Fancy, Lets put some facts straight. in regard WFL Constitution.
Rule 13.1 of the WFL constitution states no more than 8 commissioners from the WFL. A further 4 can be appointed from the WNA. How many commissioners are there currently from the WFL? Have a read of the WFL footballer, you may discover some home truths.

Rule 13.7 The Commissioners shall not be paid out of funds of the WFL. Why are there two commissioners who also double as umpires paid from WFL funds. Snouts in the troughs?

When highly credentialed people like Wes Richardson & Bill Phelan resign from Commission mid term, something stinks. There is no more highly respected Commissioners left than those two that have resigned.
From posts I have read of yours you make cheap shots at volunteers from Horsham Footy Club but then criticise people who question league officials whom fail to comply with the rules that govern their conduct. Regardless of their integrity if they sit in silence of a non compliance to the constitution they are as bad as the powers who perpetrate that non compliance.
Those rules are enshrined for a reason, to ensure people do not put their snouts in the trough. The fact that two current WFL Commissioners are also employees of the WFL is a disgrace and outlawed by the constitution.
I have re-read the original post you replied to and see no corrolation to the Horsham Footy Club. No criticism of the umpiring fraternity that you bring to account.
I would encourage you to bring some evidence to the table or piss off back to the rock you crawled out from under.

Fancy, Lets put some facts straight. in regard WFL Constitution.
Rule 13.1 of the WFL constitution states no more than 8 commissioners from the WFL. A further 4 can be appointed from the WNA. How many commissioners are there currently from the WFL? Have a read of the WFL footballer, you may discover some home truths.

Rule 13.7 The Commissioners shall not be paid out of funds of the WFL. Why are there two commissioners who also double as umpires paid from WFL funds. Snouts in the troughs?

When highly credentialed people like Wes Richardson & Bill Phelan resign from Commission mid term, something stinks. There is no more highly respected Commissioners left than those two that have resigned.
From posts I have read of yours you make cheap shots at volunteers from Horsham Footy Club but then criticise people who question league officials whom fail to comply with the rules that govern their conduct. Regardless of their integrity if they sit in silence of a non compliance to the constitution they are as bad as the powers who perpetrate that non compliance.
Those rules are enshrined for a reason, to ensure people do not put their snouts in the trough. The fact that two current WFL Commissioners are also employees of the WFL is a disgrace and outlawed by the constitution.
I have re-read the original post you replied to and see no corrolation to the Horsham Footy Club. No criticism of the umpiring fraternity that you bring to account.
I would encourage you to bring some evidence to the table or piss off back to the rock you crawled out from under.

Arch

Do us all a favor. Don't read his posts and above all don't reply to them!

You only encourage him.

Arch

Do us all a favor. Don't read his posts and above all don't reply to them!

You only encourage him.
But it is very difficult not to reply because if we don't it looks like we agree with him and clearly most people don't. Doesn't matter what club we follow!!!

Interesting reading on the back page of the Mail Times today. Broadbent has spoken his mind publically before on issues facing country footy and the Wimmera league. This time some will see his opinion as a grumpy coach whos team has just been thrashed by the powerful empire. I wonder when he made these comments, was it straight after the game? Was he letting off steam? I'm not sure whether the Horsham Saints faithful would share his views or any of the other clubs for that matter.

I agree having a team win 9 (probably 10+) flags in a row is hurting the league. I don't agree that having Horsham play in another league is the answer though. With the help of the VCFL and the WFL Commision the rest of the Wimmera clubs have to get stronger to compete. I dont mean help financially, but an even playing field when it comes to Home ground arrangements would be good. Junior football needs to be even, each club should have a quota of players, the only way clubs could accept juniors into their club above that quota would be that they would have to meet cetain criteria. The criteria would be locality, this criteria would only apply to clubs that are isolated with no other junior footy. So teams in Horsham, Ararat could not go above the quota based on locality. The other criteria would be family, limited to a sibling playing or a parent playing or previously played 50 games of netball or football with the club. Just an Idea it would need some fine tuning.

There is a lot to learn from Horshams success. Their professionalism is 2nd to none, they play how they train. Their pre season training is the toughest in this area, Tuesday nights are hard, tough and competitive for up to 2 hours. In the pre season I've heard of players dry reaching and gasping for air. The rest of the top five Wimmera League clubs can compete with Horsham in the first quater or first half, but in the end Horsham just grind them into the ground because of their fitness.

Interesting reading on the back page of the Mail Times today. Broadbent has spoken his mind publically before on issues facing country footy and the Wimmera league. This time some will see his opinion as a grumpy coach whos team has just been thrashed by the powerful empire. I wonder when he made these comments, was it straight after the game? Was he letting off steam? I'm not sure whether the Horsham Saints faithful would share his views or any of the other clubs for that matter.

I agree having a team win 9 (probably 10+) flags in a row is hurting the league. I don't agree that having Horsham play in another league is the answer though. With the help of the VCFL and the WFL Commision the rest of the Wimmera clubs have to get stronger to compete. I dont mean help financially, but an even playing field when it comes to Home ground arrangements would be good. Junior football needs to be even, each club should have a quota of players, the only way clubs could accept juniors into their club above that quota would be that they would have to meet cetain criteria. The criteria would be locality, this criteria would only apply to clubs that are isolated with no other junior footy. So teams in Horsham, Ararat could not go above the quota based on locality. The other criteria would be family, limited to a sibling playing or a parent playing or previously played 50 games of netball or football with the club. Just an Idea it would need some fine tuning.

There is a lot to learn from Horshams success. Their professionalism is 2nd to none, they play how they train. Their pre season training is the toughest in this area, Tuesday nights are hard, tough and competitive for up to 2 hours. In the pre season I've heard of players dry reaching and gasping for air. The rest of the top five Wimmera League clubs can compete with Horsham in the first quater or first half, but in the end Horsham just grind them into the ground because of their fitness.

I would certainly be concerned with John Smith comments "commission was exploring ideas, such as entering a Wimmera team in the Ballarat league".

We struggle at interleague level now so lets get rid of our best 25 players and reduce the clubs to 8. Probably gives an insight to the way this dictator thinks.

What hope has WFL got with him and his merry band of puppets?

Cracking game of junior footy at City Oval last week. It was clear that Horsham's talent is pretty evenly distributed between two clubs at U/17 level.

The Demons seniors may consistently have gun juniors coming through and it is obvious there junior program is the secret to their success.....a new group being fed into the ones each season they win a GF, but interestingly the U/17s in one area they can't claim a dominance in.

No one has been able to consistently compete with the might of Ararat for 20yrs! Just proves that similar lessons have already been written in WFL football history - albeit at junior level. Success breeds success. Everyone wants to play at that club and when you have the majority of the larger towns population to pick from, you are always going to be hard to beat.

Kudos to the Demons and all they have done, but gee it was enjoyable to watch a gripping contest at City Oval for once!

Cracking game of junior footy at City Oval last week. It was clear that Horsham's talent is pretty evenly distributed between two clubs at U/17 level.

The Demons seniors may consistently have gun juniors coming through and it is obvious there junior program is the secret to their success.....a new group being fed into the ones each season they win a GF, but interestingly the U/17s in one area they can't claim a dominance in.

No one has been able to consistently compete with the might of Ararat for 20yrs! Just proves that similar lessons have already been written in WFL football history - albeit at junior level. Success breeds success. Everyone wants to play at that club and when you have the majority of the larger towns population to pick from, you are always going to be hard to beat.

Kudos to the Demons and all they have done, but gee it was enjoyable to watch a gripping contest at City Oval for once!

Richo, you may find the reason demons do not win many U/17 flags is that often their best kids are promoted to senior level whilst still eligible for U/17's. Something Ararat could try if they were not so bent on winning U/17 flags to the detriment of their senior side.

By all reports demons debut a 14 year old in their senior side yesterday.

Richo, you may find the reason demons do not win many U/17 flags is that often their best kids are promoted to senior level whilst still eligible for U/17's. Something Ararat could try if they were not so bent on winning U/17 flags to the detriment of their senior side.

By all reports demons debut a 14 year old in their senior side yesterday.

Pull your head out of your backside slenko. Ararat had 4 under 17s playing in their senior side on Saturday (Cronin, Louder, Todd, Ganley). Plus they have had 3 other under 17s play at different times this year (Robinson, Butler, Laidlaw). There wouldn't be too many other sides, Horsham included, that have promoted that many kids.

Congratulations to Conboy for making his debut for Horsham, he has a lot of talent

Pull your head out of your backside slenko. Ararat had 4 under 17s playing in their senior side on Saturday (Cronin, Louder, Todd, Ganley). Plus they have had 3 other under 17s play at different times this year (Robinson, Butler, Laidlaw). There wouldn't be too many other sides, Horsham included, that have promoted that many kids.

Congratulations to Conboy for making his debut for Horsham, he has a lot of talent

And I will assure you that they will be careful not to over qualify them for U/17 finals. My point exactly. Its all pointed towards U/17 flag. Why do they not play them in seniors for the whole year if they are good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back