Competitions 2013 Carlton Board Draft Game

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally read that as Duffield was both those options. Shouldn't you be packing forms of entertainment and warm clothes for Canberra?!

Congrats BnS on your ANU acceptance.
Clothing for Canberra consists of Layers (..like an onion...parfait, everyone loves a parfait').
I mainly were short sleeves all year round and throw a jacket on during winter when going outside.

That hurts. Taylor Adams and Shaun Grigg were 1 and 2 on my list, both very much under consideration when I picked Dempsey.

Instead I look in a completely different position. My defensive stocks are very strong however if the likes of Shaw, Adcock and Dempsey are going to push through the midfield, I need a defender to replace them.

That being the case I'm pleased to select a young defender I rate particularly highly. His first two seasons at AFL level were somewhat stymied by injury, however he put that behind him in 2013 and managed to play 24 games, cementing his spot in the backline of a side who came from nowhere to feature in September. This year was clearly his break out season and at 21 years of age I feel he has an enormous future ahead of him.

Standing at 192cm, he has the height to take on the talls but also the speed and agility to play on the smalls. He can play as a close-checking defender but has also shown himself capable to use his speed to his advantage and provide plenty of run out of the backline. Can find plenty of the ball and generally uses it very well. and at 21 years of age I feel he has an enormous future ahead of him.

Cameron O'Shea has wonderful future ahead of him and I am thrilled to select him here. Despite being my 23rd pick I feel he's too good a footballer to not get a game so I'll have to make room for him somewhere. Tough calls to be made.

Cameron+O+Shea+AFL+Rd+1+Melbourne+v+Port+Adelaide+0RurRH4c6OFx.jpg

Wickzki

Having drafted just the one Carlton player to this point I'm making a somewhat surprising selection here.

Pick #253 - Ed Curnow, the MIGHTY Carlton Blues

2013 Stats: 21 games - 16.5 disposals - 3.4 marks - 6 goals - 4.7 tackles

789615-curnow.jpg

2013 was an important year for the rookie listed Carlton player. He entered the season as a player without a set position. Was he half back? Was he a genuine mid? Was he a half forward? Was he just an average utility player? He certainly answered those questions by becoming one of the most reliable taggers in the competition over the course of the year. He won an important number of his matchups and nullified the impact of some of the games' elite superstars. A travesty occurred in round 18 as he did a marvelous job limiting the effectivensss of arguably the game's most talented player, Gary Ablett. While Ablett still got his touches his effect on the game was no where near as significant as the numbers suggest. However, Ablett was awarded the votes that would ultimately win him another Brownlow medal. Immediately after winning Ablett highlighted Curnow's job on him in their game as the one game that he felt that he did not deserve votes in. Full credit goes to Ed. He will be counted upon to provide tagging and thus free up my plethora of A-grade midfielders.

Pick #254 - Jamie Elliott, Collingwood Magpies

2013 Stats: 20 games - 12.6 disposals - 4.5 marks - 30 goals - 2.9 tackles

Billy1_zps8700b9f4.jpg

With the sub role firmly in mind I'm a believer that a sub needs to do one of two things to excel in the role. They must be
able to either play through the midfield, generating quick touches and using the ball at a highly efficient level or they must be able to impact the scoreboard in such a way that they can change the game through a couple of quick goals. In 20 games for Collingwood this season the 21 year old Elliott booted thirty goals. He had a number of very good games in big matches - kicking three goals in a 29 point win over Sydney, a second three goal game against rivals Essendon, three against Geelong in a one goal victory, a fourth three bag game against Hawthorn and the sadly memorable best on ground effort against our beloved Blues back in round two. Jamie Elliott is a wise choice for super sub.

Jeremias

Damn it. Had Adams and Grigg as my 1/2 and was considering both strongly at my previous selection. Both are good gets at this stage.

Having filled my 22 it's now time to look for some depth players.

That being the case I am very pleased to add a player who, over the past 3 seasons, has cemented his place in his club's best side - a club that made the Grand Final in 2013 and is tipped by many, including myself, to go one better in 2014.

He plays predominantly off a wing and can find plenty of the ball in that role, but can also push forward and kick a goal. He's not quick or flashy, but he generally makes good decisions and uses the ball nicely.

Tendai Mzungu comes into my squad as an experienced and very solid depth player. He'll keep his more fancied team mates honest and hungry to impress both on and off the field. Very capable footballer and one who I'm happy to have.

808347-tendai-mzungu.jpg

Blugazi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn it. Had Adams and Grigg as my 1/2 and was considering both strongly at my previous selection. Both are good gets at this stage.

Having filled my 22 it's now time to look for some depth players.

That being the case I am very pleased to add a player who, over the past 3 seasons, has cemented his place in his club's best side - a club that made the Grand Final in 2013 and is tipped by many, including myself, to go one better in 2014.

He plays predominantly off a wing and can find plenty of the ball in that role, but can also push forward and kick a goal. He's not quick or flashy, but he generally makes good decisions and uses the ball nicely.

Tendai Mzungu comes into my squad as an experienced and very solid depth player. He'll keep his more fancied team mates honest and hungry to impress both on and off the field. Very capable footballer and one who I'm happy to have.

808347-tendai-mzungu.jpg

Blugazi
ahh crap!! off to the drawing board!

Tendai is a solid pick. Not spectacular, flashy but a good worker. :thumbsu:

and zeeCFC you leave Ed alone. Great tagger and a tank that goes further than the energizer bunny. :p

My side is looking quite balanced, probably could've used a bit more speed through the midfield though.

B: Dylan Roberton, Rory Thompson, Corey Enright
HB: Shaun Atley, Nathan Brown, Shannon Hurn
C: Dayne Beams, Lenny Hayes, Daniel Rich
HF: Steele Sidebottom, Sam Reid, David Zaharakis
F: Chad Wingard, Lance Franklin, Justin Westhoff
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Josh P. Kennedy, Marc Murphy
I/C: Nathan Vardy, Brad Crouch, Brock McLean, Kane Cornes
EMG: Sam Mayes, Heath Grundy

Assuming that we can't get players just picked up in the National Draft, in which case I'd go Tom Boyd here......although Curnow was picked the other night.......nah I know I know. This guy's only a little bit older than Boyd (inthisphoto) and gives me some full forward depth for next year.

James Podsiadly

wbAFLpodspie-600x400.jpg

SpaceCow

Am I the only one confused about the Grigg comment.

Yeah.... I was like... Jeremias wanted Grigg.... Nobody drafted Grigg... Yet he's passed on him twice more. :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back