Competitions 2013 Carlton Board Draft Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs time to get over amazement that his pick has slid this far.

1147091-jizz_in_pants_andy_samberg.jpg

Apologies for the delay. Have had 3 players in mind and have struggled to separate them. As such I had a very late change of heart - had my write up done for another player but changed my mind whilst hovering over the "Post Reply" button.

I'm picking a player I've always rated but felt that I may be largely alone on that front, outside his own club's supporters. He has struggled with injury over his career, but he can find the ball, loves to run with it and uses it beautifully. Predominantly deployed as a running half back, but I've always felt he'd be at his best up on a wing.

This player gives me certain flexibility. I do need outside run and he does help address that both directly and indirectly. I not only have the option to put him up on a wing but also to push Shaw or Adcock up the field where they are equally comfortable.

Courtenay Dempsey has had his fair share of injury troubles over his career and has a girl's name, but when he is on the park I've always liked what he has to offer. He comes into my side and immediately adds a fair bit to my outside skill and run.

381452-dempsey.jpg

Wickzki - please don't take both other players I'm looking at. One is OK as it makes the decision easier for me, but not both.

1. Essendon
2. Garlett kicked 30 on him throughout his career
3. Levi chased him down twice
4. Can't kick before sirens
5. Essendon

Despite being my 3rd running defender he's clearly better than your main running defender....primarily because you don't appear to have one :p

I suppose you could play Fyfe off the half back line, but ideally you want someone there who can hit a target by foot. ;)

Sam Mitchell and Trent Mckenzie will do me fine for half backs...haven't seen one of them miss a target in their careers yet ;)

McKenzie, Henderson, Mitchell

Such is the beauty of my midfield, I can afford to have Mitchell as my general!

Pick #231 - Brodie Grundy, Collingwood Magpies

2013 Stats: 74.8 SC - 70.3 DT 12.6 disposals - 2.6 marks - 3.1 tackles - 21.6 hitouts

7006e__836306-brodie-grundy.jpg

Brodie Grundy broke out onto the AFL scene over the final two months of the season playing in seven games including an AFL Final. He delighted the Pies coaches and recruitment officers in his development to the point that they found premiership ruck Darren Jolly expendable. Grundy is a tremendous athlete, is able to have an impact around the ground and statistically, aside from hitouts (which will dramatically increase as his time in the ruck increases and his body matures), isn't too far apart from Todd Goldstein (per game stats) who among the top two or three ruck in the game today (and at this point the best of the 25 and under group) and my starting ruck allowing Grundy to be his understudy.

Pick #232 - Jesse Hogan, Melbourne Demons

2013 Stats: DNP AFL - VFL Stats: 15 games - 39 goals - 100 marks - 7 times in best

Jesse+Hogan+NAB+Cup+Rd+1+Richmond+v+Melbourne+d1da74-ohVYl.jpg

Jesse Hogan projects as a modern day key position forward. At the VFL level Hogan has demonstrataed his ability to take a ton of marks and importantly many of those being contested. Further, he is an accurate goal kicker booting a very reasonable 39.21 in 15 games. He's not being drafted with the expectations of dominating from day one and with a team already consisting of Tom Hawkins, Ty Vickery and Jack Watts he wont have to.

Jeremias back up.

Well that's thrown my planning out the window. Was hoping to secure a 2nd ruck further down the draft but with Grundy off the board and thus somewhat limiting the options, coupled with my next pick being a while away, the time to grab one is probably now.

With this pick I take one of the most promising rucks in the competition. It didn't take long for him to show he has an enormous future at AFL level. Not only does his athleticism enable him to be force in the ruck, but he also possesses an incredible amount of speed and agility which he uses to be a real threat around the ground and up forward where he can hit the scoreboard.

Unfortunately Zac Smith injured his knee this year but at 23 he has time on his side to get back to his best and when that happens, watch out. He comes into my side as a backup ruck to Matthew Lobbe to form one of the most potent and promising partnerships in the game.

art-svZACSMITH-420x0.jpg

Blugazi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back