2013 Rookie Draft Pick #32 - Tom Vandeleur

Remove this Banner Ad

This was my write up...

Tom Vandeleur
194cm, 92kg defender​
South Fremantle​

I like what Tom Vandeleur offers as a defender, and I think he'll fit in quite well at Fremantle - he fills a need both for now, and for the future. I'm not going to go overboard in saying that I've landed a bargain, as I think third/fourth round is his range. But he is the type of player who could surprise come the second round nonetheless.

For starters, he is pretty well developed for someone his age. Part of that 90kg is a bit of puppy fat, but it's still a reasonably strong body. And he did make his senior WAFL debut in the opening round of the season - and everyone knows how highly I rate players with senior experience. Unfortunately he then missed some time with an ankle injury, and wasn't able to play a major role in the U18 Championships. What I like is that he has been consistent at every level he has played this year, hasn't been overawed with the step up in competition. He just keeps doing what he does. And what he has been able to do is to combine playing a key defensive role with his rebounding game. He has played at both FB and CHB, and against both taller and smaller opponents. At this stage, he looks more comfortable playing against the more medium sized forwards - which would translate to a third tall role at AFL level. But I think he has the attributes to play at CHB and take the Riewoldt's of the game in a few years time. He spoils very well, reads the play well and has a nice leap on him too. Maybe I wouldn't leave him one out deep in the goal square against a bigger opponent, but up the ground he'll compete well.

He is also a natural rebounder, seems to know when to break off of his opponent and has clean hands below his knees. His kicking is quite interesting. I liken it a bit to Luke McPharlin. Has some real penetration on it and can kick it perfectly over 50m, but then other times it you'll be left wondering where he was aiming. I think that has a bit to do with his kicking style, sometimes he has almost a roundhouse kicking style and falls away a bit as he kicks. An ugly kicking style hasn't held McPharlin back though, and it should tighten up as Vandeleur gets more coaching. The other query I had on him was in regards to his speed, I thought he was slightly lacking in his initial burst - although he tested well at the Combine for repeat sprints, which was good to see. Now the only question I have can only be answered with a crystal ball - just what will his position be at AFL level. And that will dictate where he is drafted.

In terms of his role at Fremantle, I think he'll start off as a third/fourth tall defender - a stronger bodied Dylan Roberton or a fitter Alex Forster if you will. And we all saw how much we lacked in that department in the Grand Final. The reason I could see Vandeleur going earlier than this, is because you aren't giving up much run and rebound even by playing him as an extra tall down back. In the long term though, I'd be developing him into more of an attacking KPD role - a bit like a Scott Thompson at North Melbourne. He'd still be giving away a bit of height, but he could match the CHFs of the game athletically.

Glad we got this guy so at least I've heard of one of the three.

Good to have another tall defender developing in the wings too.

Just watched the highlights.
How the hell did he last till pick #32 of the rookie!
Love some of those kicks to guys in congestion, and he has no hesitation on kicking off his non-preferred too!

I would put it down to the same factor that has players selected in the AA team at the end of the year based off their first two thirds of the season.

He was injured during WA's campaign until the last couple of weeks and in an industry that needs to make a call on so many young players it means he gets a quick ruler run over him and that's it. They've already seen thirty players they are getting comfortable calling Top 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down back: Silvagni, Smith, Pearce, Vandeleur
Up front: Taberner, Gumbleton, Apeness, Kepler
Rucks: Griffin, Hannath, Moller

It just takes 1 injury in each group to result in a relatively normal setup.

One of Tabs or Gumbelton should be playing each week in the AFL I would think. Keps and Griffin might start the year late as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back