Analysis 2015 List - By the numbers *Updated 30/12*

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 List by Age Judd to Buckley.PNG 2015 List Whiley to Byrne.PNG

Whiley added. Tutt left there as it will be a PSD job. Garlett removed. Robinson, Lucas, McLean and Ellard still there until we make a decision.

Last edited:

The really damning stat there with our list is that we only have 2 players who average more than 1 goal per game!! We need big improvement from our younger guys to push higher up the ladder
One of whom hasn't even played a bloody game for the club yet! Hopefully he doesn't dip under a goal per game once he's in navy blue!

Waite, Garlett and Betts out the door within 12 months of each other. New options needing to be found. Henderson will average 2 goals per game if he stays up forward. Casboult will be over a goal per game if he doesn't have to pinch hit in the ruck. It's just a matter of role that has this figure looking lean.

Waite, Garlett and Betts out the door within 12 months of each other. New options needing to be found. Henderson will average 2 goals per game if he stays up forward. Casboult will be over a goal per game if he doesn't have to pinch hit in the ruck. It's just a matter of role that has this figure looking lean.
Everyone just relax.

It's Menzel's 3rd year breakout year next year. He'll carry us. Not to worry.

If Henderson plays forward all year he *should* be a 50-goal forward. I hope his body gives him 22 games this year, because I think he still has big steps to take. His best is really excellent.

To me the weakness in the list is the number of 23-27 year olds we're still hoping for improvement out of. I think in the vast majority of cases if they're not doing it already they're not going to. Armfield, Warnock, White, Ellard, Robinson are what they are and will always be. None of them are good enough. Every year they spend on the list is a year that someone who MIGHT be good enough is not on it. We can't cut 'em all at once, but they DO have to go.

Below that, the "worries" are Casboult, Curnow, Tuohy, Bell, Lucas, Watson. All are iffy (some more than others, don't get me wrong), but they need to put it together soon. I like Casboult as a forward/second ruck, and I think he's shown the most. Curnow needs to take Carrazzo's spot and make it his own. Tuohy, as high on him as I have been, worries me. He's got attributes to love (that right boot!), but he needs to develop really good defensive skills or get the ball a helluva lot more. The rest are projects (gawd, first-round draftees being "projects" is terrible).

Obviously this age range and the number of sub-par players in it is largely driven by our deplorable drafting over a lengthy period. Half the guys we've delisted recently should be coming into this age bracket and becoming stars right now.

The really exciting aspect of the last 2 years' moves has been in Docherty, Jaksch, Menzel, Cripps and Giles we have a slew of guys with mountains of potential and lots of time in which to realise it. Signs obviously from Docherty and Menzel so far have been great.

And the guys who can change the Carlton universe are: Henderson and Yarran. Right around 24yo, 100 games, still have big gaps between best and worst. Could become our two best players, and the two that opposition coaches spend their time on. Fingers crossed.

Cull, poach, draft, re-load, develop!

Let's analyse the list changes since Mick arrived, with a view to ins and outs.

If we include Robinson, Lucas, Tutt and Dick in our figures, we have 7 players on other clubs' lists for 2015 and 9 from other clubs' on ours. Haven't included Laidler's games at Geelong.

(Interestingly, Eddie and Jarrad played exactly the same # of games at Carlton, despite Waite having 3 extra seasons!)

Name | New club | Age (delist) | Blue Games
\Laidler|Sydney|24|24
\Betts|Adelaide|26|184
\Hampson|Richmond|25|63
\Garlett|Melbourne|25|107
\Waite|North Melbourne|31|184
\Robinson|Brisbane?|25|100
\Lucas|WCE?|23|42
\ Average || 25 | 100

Name | Prev club | Age (recruit) | Prev Games
\Thomas|Collingwood|26|157
\Docherty|Brisbane|20|13
\Everitt|WB/Sydney|24|79
\Wood|Bris/C'wood|26|64
\Jaksch|GWS|20|7
\Whiley|GWS|21|10
\Jones|WB|23|64
\Tutt?|WB|23|25
\Dick?|Sydney|19|0
\ Average || 22 | 46

3 years younger with 54 games less experience, which amounts to the incoming players requiring 18 games a season over their first 3 years!

I have been reading this thread with great interest and believe that there is too much angst among some of you guys. There is also no reason to can each other about personal beliefs. We are all entitled to give our opinions, but we have to learn to deal with facts a little more. To that end I have done up a chart that sets out the following:

Column 1: Ratts, Hughes & Swan List from 2012. Once you look closely at this list, maybe you will see the glaring deficiencies that IMHO were there in spades from previous poor recruiting and development.

Column 2: All of the players that have been moved out (Retired, Traded, FA or De-listed) since MM, Rogers & Macca have assumed those roles. Looking closely at this list, you might find 3-4 players who would be helpful moving forward, but age, form and mental capacity is their enemy.

Column 3: This list is the players who have been Recruited to the club in 3 Silly Seasons (2012, 2013 & 2014). Once again, MM, Rogers and Macca have been responsible for most of these. Note that there are 2 players that have been moved on from the previous 2 years as well. Keep in mind that this list will be complete in a month or so. I feel sure that you will agree that there are some fairly handy kids on this list. Maybe even compare this list to Column 2.

Column 4: This list is what the 3 Musketeers have put together in 3 Silly Seasons. Of course there are another 8-9 to be added. I have been comparing the 2015 List with the 2012 list and IMHO, we are so much better off now, than we were then. At least, there is the basis of a reasonable foundation. You be the Judge!

I trust that you guys will understand the colour coding. Cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd liek to know how to post spreadsheet stuff- JaB is wanting to go all 'mathematical' in 2015.

Just filter the data you have entered into categories, use the snipping tool, save each category individually and upload each individual file. I'm not one for all of that code stuff either.

Just filter the data you have entered into categories, use the snipping tool, save each category individually and upload each individual file. I'm not one for all of that code stuff either.
ODN - are you trying to rile me with all that techo babble?

I can use Excel ODN - I just want to know how I can post ( to BF) the sheet like as above examples.is it a screen grab saved as Jpeg?

What windows are you running? If you have snipping tool, just select the area you wish to save and it saves as a png graphic file.

OSX
What windows are you running? If you have snipping tool, just select the area you wish to save and it saves as a png graphic file.

I run 7 and OSX I'll look for a sniping tool on windows...
Thanks for your help.

I think I'll run a series called 'Mythbusters' in 2015 -:)

Don't wanna teach you lot to suck eggs but if you go to edit then select all you can copy anything on a page and then paste it somewhere else.

Didn't use to hold its formatting in Windows 7. Have 8 now and it holds it a little better but not perfectly. I'll have a play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back