2015 prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the worst game I have ever been to. We got absolutely shafted by the umpires that night. The off the ball free kick against Ballas and that awful missed goal by Mayne were the turning points.
I still get fired up just thinking about it, so I'm impressed you could bring yourself to watch it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me, didn't Fyfe break his leg in this game?

Footy gods were not only ensuring we didnt beat Hawks but also making sure that if they messed that up then our best player wouldnt be availavle the week after.

F**KS SAKEE !! Painful memories are flooding back. Who started this thread! BAN! :'(:'(:'(:'(

Remind me, didn't Fyfe break his leg in this game?

Footy gods were not only ensuring we didnt beat Hawks but also making sure that if they messed that up then our best player wouldnt be availavle the week after.

F**KS SAKEE !! Painful memories are flooding back. Who started this thread! BAN! :'(:'(:'(:'(
Pav was injured as well a would've almost certainly missed the GF iirc.

We lost this game cos I lost one of my lucky watermelon socks on the Thursday during the week. These are the socks that I wore all the way through 2013, and then I forgot to pack them in my suitcase for the grand final in 2013. The missing sock remained missing for the entirety of the 2016 season, hence why we were so terrible.

In January this year I moved house, and had to move the washing machine. Under the washing machine was the watermelon sock. I've tried them out once this year, which was the Carlton game.

We'll be ok this year.

Umpiring was pretty bad but then again I was just watching some highlights of the Granny last year and that was pretty outrageous too: Bulldogs players getting away with head high tackles, they'd dropped the ball and it ball wouldn't be called, it was pretty obvious when you weren't caught up in the day/pissed.

I still think it was a second death knell for Ballas... there are two types of players. One of them shrivels in finals, and the other is Sonny Walters – grows to 6'2, thinks he's a Brownlow medalist, goes for things he shouldn't and pulls it all off. Sheridan dropping the ball made me lose a lot of faith in him. We were scared of footsteps that night and a lot of our guys just didn't put in at all... it was one of those nights. Felt so sorry for Pav. I was at the Hawthorn Hotel that evening and the vision of him walking off, battered and feet full of tape. I thought he was going to retire that night and he had a look on his face knowing that that was it... he was never going to win a flag.

Pity we couldn't snag 2013

Hawks were possibly hungrier and needed the win

- 2008: Premiers
- 2009: Didn't make finals
- 2010: Bundled out by us
- 2011: Collingwood beat them in a tight prelim
- 2012: Swans beat them in a tight grand final
- 2013: Beat us after we killed ourselves with shocking accuracy (umpires didn't help)

2013 was the most important for the Hawks, as they would no way have made it back in 2014. Their psyche would have been shot, losing two grannies in a row. Hindsight is a bitch

Yes that game was a stich. But it was always going to be. In the week lead up I knew we'd need to be 5 goals better to win by a point. So much so I put a very large wager in the hawks at a delicious $1.55. Knew it was money in the bank. But still felt sick in the guts for weeks after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back