Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
AlunaGeorge - I'm In Control {Ft. Popcaan}
RUFUS - Say A Prayer For Me
Drake - Summer Sixteen
Hilltop Hoods - Higher {Ft. James Chatburn}
Flume - Smoke & Retribution {Ft. Vince Staples/KUCKA}
Kanye West - Famous
The Weeknd - Starboy {Ft. Daft Punk}

I'm not sure whether any of the Sia songs will make it onto the voting list. My criteria for likely voting list is an appearance on a weekly Triple J Hit List.

What other big songs do you think I'm missing and then maybe I can tweek the formulas a bit.

I've seen a fair few people predict Genghis Khan to go top 15. Possibly the only thing hurting it is the early release date (Dec 2015, many may have forgotten about it).

Good album year though
I agree, Glass Animals, Radiohead, Jinja Safari, Jezabels have all produced great albums, Safia and Phantogram had some interesting stuff. Mind you, the gap between what I like and what the Hottest 100 turns up seems to be growing wider; I picked the Rubens for number one last year...for Hallelujah, which didn't even make the 100.

I agree, Glass Animals, Radiohead, Jinja Safari, Jezabels have all produced great albums, Safia and Phantogram had some interesting stuff. Mind you, the gap between what I like and what the Hottest 100 turns up seems to be growing wider; I picked the Rubens for number one last year...for Hallelujah, which didn't even make the 100.
I've really liked albums from Ry X and Anderson .Paak which haven't got as much coverage on the J's.

On a sidetone I'm actually happy matt and alex are leaving (please dont replace them with veronica and lewis). Never found them that funny or interesting and they weren't that different to mainstream stations presenters.

Some of the bigger ones that are outside of my Top 30 so far:
SAFIA - Make Them Wheels Roll
Kiiara - Gold
Broods - Couldn't Believe
Martin Solveig - Do It Right {Ft. Tkay Maidza}
Broods - Free
Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
AlunaGeorge - I'm In Control {Ft. Popcaan}
RUFUS - Say A Prayer For Me
Drake - Summer Sixteen
Hilltop Hoods - Higher {Ft. James Chatburn}
Flume - Smoke & Retribution {Ft. Vince Staples/KUCKA}
Kanye West - Famous
The Weeknd - Starboy {Ft. Daft Punk}

I'm not sure whether any of the Sia songs will make it onto the voting list. My criteria for likely voting list is an appearance on a weekly Triple J Hit List.

What other big songs do you think I'm missing and then maybe I can tweek the formulas a bit.

Catfish And The Bottlemen should crack the 100 I reckon. DMAs as well - Step Up The Morphine has been getting a good run lately, and a lot of people are taking about then after their Like A Version performance a few weeks ago. Adore by Amy Shark as well. Camp Cope maybe somewhere.

Based on the recent awards, DD Dumbo will most likely feature, People Vultures by King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - I hate it personally, but a lot of people seem to love it. Tash Sultana may sneak in as well - Notions I think is her most well known.

I agree with what someone mentioned earlier as well, I reckon Genghis Khan will be top 10 and possible dark horse for number 1.

Won't be too long now before we get the little ads for the Hottest 100 where the station sneakily reminds you of what they would like to hear on Aus Day

Would be great to hear Genghis Khan up near the top though, at least something that hasn't been rinsed by commercial radio (from what I know anyway). Good tune

Won't be too long now before we get the little ads for the Hottest 100 where the station sneakily reminds you of what they would like to hear on Aus Day

Would be great to hear Genghis Khan up near the top though, at least something that hasn't been rinsed by commercial radio (from what I know anyway). Good tune

Those ads are classic.

The 'omg commercial radio plays this song' narrative annoys me a little. It's interesting how some songs and artists have kind of been pushed by these commercial stations too but it doesn't really change the fact that a good song is a good song. Not like we're going to see the ******* Chainsmokers on JJJ. One Dance was a massive track, just like Hotline Bling, I'm glad that JJJ play s**t like this even if it might not be for anyone.

What do you guys reckon of the fact that there seems to be a lot more Aussie's winning lately? How many people really would have had that Rubens song as their fav track of 2015? King Kunta should have taken it out I think but I feel JJJ wouldn't have been able to get Kendrick in the studio or whatever and decided to go with the Rubens. You could probably make the same argument for the 2013 count too.

Those ads are classic.

The 'omg commercial radio plays this song' narrative annoys me a little. It's interesting how some songs and artists have kind of been pushed by these commercial stations too but it doesn't really change the fact that a good song is a good song. Not like we're going to see the ******* Chainsmokers on JJJ. One Dance was a massive track, just like Hotline Bling, I'm glad that JJJ play s**t like this even if it might not be for anyone.

What do you guys reckon of the fact that there seems to be a lot more Aussie's winning lately? How many people really would have had that Rubens song as their fav track of 2015? King Kunta should have taken it out I think but I feel JJJ wouldn't have been able to get Kendrick in the studio or whatever and decided to go with the Rubens. You could probably make the same argument for the 2013 count too.
I don't think JJJ actively manipulate the chart in any way, but they certainly encourage people to choose Australian, which is why we end up with some unusual choices for number one. Hoops wasn't even the best song on that album, frankly I was picking the Rubens for number one, but for Hallelujah and that didn't even make the 100. Otherwise, I figured Tame Impala were going to get the top spot.

I don't think JJJ actively manipulate the chart in any way, but they certainly encourage people to choose Australian, which is why we end up with some unusual choices for number one. Hoops wasn't even the best song on that album, frankly I was picking the Rubens for number one, but for Hallelujah and that didn't even make the 100. Otherwise, I figured Tame Impala were going to get the top spot.

There are plenty of times where the first single isn't the best song on the album but it will always poll highest

There are plenty of times where the first single isn't the best song on the album but it will always poll highest
Except Hallelujah was the first single; maybe it came too early, got forgotten, and Hoops was released closer to voting. I get the impression some people want to vote a particular Aussie band at number one and simply choose the most well known or recent single.

I've always found the concept of nationalism in music very odd.

Sure promote local talent and all but don't pretend turds are gold just because their Australian (which doesn't happen all the time but happens a lot)

I mean do people look at their favourite songs of a year and like songs more simply because their by Australian artists?

Then you have the PC types who count how many black artists or female singers who make it in like it's a friggin census.

The Australian angle has always been a thing as long as I remember, the wanting every demographic represented seems to be 2010s phenomenon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always found the concept of nationalism in music very odd.

Sure promote local talent and all but don't pretend turds are gold just because their Australian (which doesn't happen all the time but happens a lot)

I mean do people look at their favourite songs of a year and like songs more simply because their by Australian artists?

Then you have the PC types who count how many black artists or female singers who make it in like it's a friggin census.

The Australian angle has always been a thing as long as I remember, the wanting every demographic represented seems to be 2010s phenomenon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the fact that you can make 10 selections allows people to slip in that popular Australian track that, while not necessarily their favourite, is still pretty good. If enough people do that, it increases its chances. I don't think anyone is picking their favourite song by country of origin, but probably ensuring a couple of Oz tracks are represented in their final 10.

Adore by amy shark getting the bookies attention.

Great track!

Got a nice little boost in popularity through the LaV performance the other week. Don't think it'll get anywhere near the Top 10 though.

These polls are always a two, three-horse race at best. I've got a shortlist of about 20 tracks for the year, time to start culling soon enough.

Also, SB are running a promo on how many tracks Flume will get in this year's 100.

I reckon there's a fair bit of value on 'three' right now. Never Be Like You, Smoke & Retribution, Say It are his three biggies. I haven't listened to JJJ all that much this year but is anything else really a solid chance? Surprised 'five' and 'six or more' are so short.

For reference, he got three in the H100 of 2012 after his first album. I might throw a tenner down.

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 1.41.18 pm.png

Got a nice little boost in popularity through the LaV performance the other week. Don't think it'll get anywhere near the Top 10 though.

These polls are always a two, three-horse race at best. I've got a shortlist of about 20 tracks for the year, time to start culling soon enough.

Yeah perfectly timed LAV really. I can see it around 15-20.

Cull on

Are we talking about that Miike Snow Genghis Khan song? Holy s**t that thing sucks. Those sort of songs actively s**t me – the high pitched, generic vocals, the absolute nothingness going on instrumentally...

Are we talking about that Miike Snow Genghis Khan song? Holy s**t that thing sucks. Those sort of songs actively s**t me – the high pitched, generic vocals, the absolute nothingness going on instrumentally...

The song might not be to your liking but credit has to be given to the video, it's a spot-on homage to Bond films of the 60s right down to the minute details

It's an okay video. I like Bond movies in a sort of self-aware, s**t-good way, but it's not that great.

I think you and are poles apart in music video tastes though. You're more OK Go sorta style, I tend to prefer things a little less narrative-driven.

There should be a music video thread on here.

Flume will probably win easily. That's the obvious one. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Few songs I hope get in/poll high

Miike snow - Genghis Khan
Bloc party - the good news
The last shadow puppets - Bad habits
Flume - take a chance
Flume - free
Sofi tukKrr- Drinkee
Tash sultana - jungle
Illy - catch 22
Lewis del mar - painting
Honne - someone that loves you
Peking dark - stranger
Violent soho - viceroy
Glass animals - life itself
Avalanches - Frankie sinatra
Aluna George - I'm in control
Safia - my love is gone
Violent soho - so sentimental
Ldru - next to you
M83 - Go
The temper trap - fall together
Aurora - conquerer
Vaults - Midnight river
Alex lahey - let's go out
Declan McKenna - isombard

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think I could even compile a list of 10 songs this year let alone a shortlist.

Not that I haven't enjoyed any music this year, just that most of it hasn't been played on jjj. Plus I listen to it far less than previous years

This year instead of doing a count/data scrape (there's enough other people doing this now) I've been working on a predictive model. First attempt so it could be a massive failure. Obviously newer songs (eg. Starboy) have a chance to grow their prediction as the weeks to voting get closer.
Anyway this is my current Top 30
1 Flume - Never Be Like You {Ft. Kai}
2 Hilltop Hoods - 1955 {Ft. Montaigne/Tom Thum}
3 Flume - Say It {Ft. Tove Lo}
4 MO - Final Song
5 Anne-Marie - Alarm
6 Sticky Fingers - Our Town
7 Drake - One Dance {Ft. Wizkid/Kyla}
8 Illy - Papercuts {Ft. Vera Blue}
9 Hayden James - Just A Lover
10 Jake Bugg - Gimme The Love
11 Drake - Too Good {Ft. Rihanna}