Review 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
A return to the finals in 2016 after a 10th place finish in 2015 was all but expected by most Cats fans after the recruitment of Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson, Zac Smith and Scott Selwood in the off-season.

This buy-now-pay-later list management approach is becoming more accepted in the free agency age, but we saw how it worked out for Michael Voss at Brisbane just a few years ago when a club decides to mortgage it's draft selections (and in Geelong's case, future draft selections) in the hope of chasing a quick flag. You'd wanna actually snag that flag within a pretty short period.

After a string of lacklustre finals performances under Chris Scott post-2011, merely returning to the finals after missing in 2015 wouldn't be quite enough.

Personally, I always had the expectation that the club would win at least one final in 2016, and seriously challenge in 2017, with the entire approach to be reviewed post-2017 in the absence of a flag.
I still hold by that, and so to me 2016 was a pass mark. Just.

We won a final of course, and against Hawthorn no less, but despite the talents of a few individuals we only gelled as a team periodically, despite good results in this diluted competition.
The issues that were on display all year long didn't magically go away come finals time; and in the Preliminary Final those issues and weaknesses were magnified and exploited.

Issue number one, all season long, was getting bang for our buck with our forward entries - this is no new problem; we've seen this club struggle with fluency in and around the forward 50 for years now.
In the past this was generally an effect of having employed a hard press; we'd clog up our own half of the ground, lock it in, and then struggle to work through the congestion to actually score.

This year there was more of the same, but if anything we regressed; even when we were counter-attacking or had forced a turnover, and had opposition team's defenses at our mercy, we regularly chose poor options when moving the ball forward.

The whole team has to take responsibility with this problem we have moving the ball into the forward 50; it often starts with the glacial ball movement out of the defensive 50.

Our midfield is good enough to generate sufficient forward entries to win plenty of games of football, but the actually delivery is not that of a premiership team. Joel Selwood is exempt from this; his use of the ball is measured when he has a half-chance to set up.
Unfortunately, Patrick Dangerfield was one of the worst offenders when it came to delivering into the forward 50 with anything like precision.

Apart from the haphazard delivery into the forward 50, the movement and plain effectiveness of the forwards themselves was most often disorganized and lacking in both cleanness and creativity.
Hawkins only ever had makeshift key position support, and had to contend with his own form issues during long stretches of 2016.
Sometimes Stanley would stand up. Occasionally Smith. Shane Kersten had a stab at it for a while, sort of. Even Mitch Clark was speculatively trialed for one game.
Lachie Henderson and Harry Taylor were both thrown forward in desperation in the 2nd half of the year.

As for the other forwards; Lincoln McCarthy made great and somewhat unexpected strides this year, but he needs to link up more by leading hard into space Chappy-style. Dan Menzel doesn't do this quite enough either.
Shane Kersten needed to do it way more.
Nakia Cockatoo and Darcy Lang are probably the only players already listed that can potentially add something to that forward mix. Maybe Murdoch :p Billie Smedts remains the great unknown as a forward :D.

The defensive end lost Jackson Thurlow before the season began; his clean footskills and run would be missed season-long; we had no adequate replacement for what we expected him to provide.
Expect him to be somewhat rusty in 2017, anything more is a bonus. He is a class player though and I look forward to seeing him back in action.

The much-debated height of the backline was routinely queried but regularly stood up to scrutiny from a purely defensive perspective. Lonergan, Henderson and Taylor all had solid-to-good years.
But there was little run and sharp ball movement from the back half in 2016.

Andrew Mackie's ability to counter-attack and use the ball well by foot largely dried up; he still gets a bit of the ball, but it is more often than not rushed.
Corey Enright was resolute and had a ridiculous mid/late season patch of strong form; his rebound, if not exactly dashing, still represented Geelong's best bet of unlocking opposition set-ups

Tom Ruggles and Jed Bews fought a nil-all draw; neither is established as the defacto small defender, and yet both should be able to take positives from the year. Ruggles played plenty of football and got a real idea of what is needed to be effective. Bews was in and out of the team despite showing improvement.

Jake Kolodjashnij is the invisible man of the backline despite playing 20 games in 2016. I like him; he defends. He needs to make more of his athleticism and once he gets more confidence in his role I think his foot skills are a bit better than some might think.

Ruckmen Zac Smith and Rhys Stanley were an improvement on the combos of the past few years, and yet their efforts were sometimes frustrating.
Smith showed flashes of intensity, clearing the ball from stoppages with vigour, taking the odd awkward mark, kicking the odd awkward goal and laying the odd oddly effective tackle.
But just as often he went quiet, jogging around when he might have been throwing his weight around.
Still; we got a lot more out of him than I would have suspected when we acquired him.
Rhys Stanley is probably more frustrating than Smith because he has undeniable talent and athletic gifts.
He did impose himself on games at times, to be fair. But his decision-making and execution need to improve if he is to maximize his opportunities. Both are only fair tap-ruckmen. This might sound stupid, but Blicavs actually palms the ball more cleanly than either of them.
Paidrag Lucey continues to bide his time, looking for a four-leafed clover. There was that other skinny tall bloke who had some kinda glandular-fever thingy, but he's fallen off the radar Cunico-style.

The much-talked about '2nd tier' of mid/forwards were far too inconsistent.

After the round 1 win against Hawthorn it looked as though Josh Caddy, Mitch Duncan, Cam Guthrie, Mark Blicavs, Steven Motlop - hell, maybe even Jordan Murdoch - would thrive with the addition of Patrick Dangerfield to the midfield rotations.
But as a group, they made little progress, if any.

Mitch Duncan played every game, had a career-high in tackles and matched his career-high average disposals per game. His goalkicking output was down, although he generally seemed to play off the back of the square.
I thought his finals series was good, apart from a couple of pretty bad mistakes.
But overall, he just didn't show much improvement on what we'd seen in the past. I'm not sure he has much in him. At best, he may have slightly reduced the gap between his best and worst games in 2016. But the highs were less frequent.

Mark Blicavs' stats were similar to last year when he won the B&F in a side which finished 10th, but in 2016 he too often played hesitant football with ball in hand.
His tackling remains an asset, but after a year as a back-up ruckman and a year as a genuine midfielder, his best position is still up in the air.
I see him staying on the list pretty comfortably, but the club needs to be smart with his continued development. How well could he play back on a consistent basis?

Josh Caddy doesn't get quite enough of the ball to be a mid, nor does he kick quite enough goals to be a forward. He just never seems to get to enough contests for the type of player he is. I'm not sure where he's at.

Cam Guthrie's first half of the season has largely been forgotten in the light of a patchy second half of the year, but he has shown he can step up a level. His finals series was ok.
I have no worries with his career trajectory to this point, I reckon he's the best of that mid tier.

Steven Motlop; bloody hell.
He's had a fall from grace. After signing a healthy contract in 2015 his lack of fitness coming into the season was a talking point. His output was all over the place.
He did produce some good form here and there. But a lot of his efforts were panicked, he rarely gets a break on his opponent through pure leg speed anymore. Nor does he win one-on-one contests with creative play. He's 112 games into his career and going backwards. Played every game in 2016 and came behind only Hawkins in goals kicked for the year. His banana goal from the boundary after the siren against lowly Essendon was one of the season highlights for me; pure skill. Would now trade though.

Lastly, 'Dangerwood'.

Patrick Dangerfield brought his talents to the club Lebron-style, and he'll probably add a Brownlow to his MVP award.
You can't ask much more from him.
And yet I do. A player of his ability shouldn't shank and burn the ball as much as he does. I don't want to denigrate his efforts, because he was a beast this year and was a huge reason as to why Geelong reached the top 4. But he has room for improvement with his disposal and decision-making.
1 goal per game is good, but from a player with his gifts and attacking instincts he should be kicking a few more. Gotta mark the champs hard.

Joel Selwood will come runner up, maybe third, to Dangerfield this year, but his contribution was huge.
Despite an injury-hampered pre-season he played every game and averaged a career-high disposals.
And Selwood's disposals count. Massively underrated for just how effective he is at finding a team mate by hand or foot. His finals series was huge despite the ambiguous results.

TL; DR summary:

2016 a bare pass mark; 2017 is judgement day for the Chris Scott tenure.

Pass - Too many holes in our game for us to win the flag, shattered about last night yet I feel although if we had won the flag we wouldn't have deserved it that much.

Better recruit well if we're a chance next year.

No grand final = fail. No other way around it. The worst thing is my doubt that the current coaching panel are smart enough to identify and change our team for the better. What we saw tonight we have seen since the start of the year yet nothing changed. That tells me there is a serious issue - I don't think the team improved as the season went on. I'm also getting sick of this "Our best is good enough" line - no s**t sherlock, the problem is the coaches don't know how to get the best out of the players.

I think we were the best team in it. Sydney were far from impressive tonight (or last night now), but they won because... well, they turned up. Nothing special in my opinion, any team would've beaten us comfortably.

Did well in the H&A season to get a Top 2 position, and from there the flag was pretty much handed to us on a silver platter. Smith missed, AFL gave Sydney a six-day break leading into our game, we had a relatively good run with injuries.

So for 20 of our players to do ghost imitations as the silver platter was extended towards them was disappointing. And I'm not saying beating the Swans would've been easy, but we expected it to happen. And rightfully, I think.

But for the first time this season, I actually thought about what my predictions were at the start of the year.

I didn't think we would win the flag this year, because with so many new players in the side playing important roles, I thought it'd take too long for the team to click.

Well, I think I was right. This team has had an identity crisis this season because we took too long finding the best 22. (Isn't it crazy to think we actually won games with Murdoch in the side?) Hell, we still don't know who exactly the best 22 are.

So, I hope we have a quiet trade period. Maybe pick up a key forward, but don't change much. Hopefully they will "click" and play some consistently good footy.

Anyway, I've realised this post is too long now. I know I wouldn't read it. But it was nice typing all that out, even if it's all garbage. :rainbow:

TLDR: We had an identity crisis. (I think.)

2016 a bare pass mark; 2017 is judgement day for the Chris Scott tenure.
This is my verdict also.

What we had this year was a new team. Damn it would've been amazing if it'd won a flag, but at the start of the season, before I got carried away with the Round 1 win and all those that followed, I didn't expect a premiership cup to be won by this side until next year.

And they better win it next year.

I think we were the best team in it. Sydney were far from impressive tonight (or last night now), but they won because... well, they turned up. Nothing special in my opinion, any team would've beaten us comfortably.

Did well in the H&A season to get a Top 2 position, and from there the flag was pretty much handed to us on a silver platter. Smith missed, AFL gave Sydney a six-day break leading into our game, we had a relatively good run with injuries.

So for 20 of our players to do ghost imitations as the silver platter was extended towards them was disappointing. And I'm not saying beating the Swans would've been easy, but we expected it to happen. And rightfully, I think.

But for the first time this season, I actually thought about what my predictions were at the start of the year.

I didn't think we would win the flag this year, because with so many new players in the side playing important roles, I thought it'd take too long for the team to click.

Well, I think I was right. This team has had an identity crisis this season because we took too long finding the best 22. (Isn't it crazy to think we actually won games with Murdoch in the side?) Hell, we still don't know who exactly the best 22 are.

So, I hope we have a quiet trade period. Maybe pick up a key forward, but don't change much. Hopefully they will "click" and play some consistently good footy.

Anyway, I've realised this post is too long now. I know I wouldn't read it. But it was nice typing all that out, even if it's all garbage. :rainbow:

TLDR: We had an identity crisis. (I think.)
We are an average team with 2 superstar midfielders whom when don't completely dominate make us look mediocre at best.

We have a horrible forward setup/structure with an aging defence and little to no run off half back.

When the opposition applies real pressure and intensity, we turn into jelly, yet as a team we are unable to apply the same pressure.

Please enlighten me on how we were the best team in it?

We are an average team with 2 superstar midfielders whom when don't completely dominate make us look mediocre at best.

We have a horrible forward setup/structure with an aging defence and little to no run off half back.

When the opposition applies real pressure and intensity, we turn into jelly, yet as a team we are unable to apply the same pressure.

I just wrote a very long post contesting your three statements here, before deleting it and deciding to reply to just the question.

Were we favourites to beat Sydney? Yes. Would we have been favourites to win the GF? Probably.

Believe it or not, there was a reason for that. Every team was s**t this year, but we were generally less s**t than others.

I just wrote a very long post contesting your three statements here, before deleting it and deciding to reply to just the question.

Were we favourites to beat Sydney? Yes. Would we have been favourites to win the GF? Probably.

Believe it or not, there was a reason for that. Every team was s**t this year, but we were generally less s**t than others.
Yeah that's nice, but I just watched my team lose in exactly the same manner to the team that beat us in round 16 but only this time, we had a better lineup on paper.

Two loses to Sydney; one in Geelong by 38pts and one in Melb by 37pts.... how can you justify that we are a better team than Sydney?

Also as well as we went through the year, I still think we have to many players in the "guaranteed selection" category that probably don't quite deserve to be there.

Wouldn't hurt some of these guys to have a stint in the twos to see how hard they apply themselves.

Yep this. Way too many guys are comfortable in our side. And they are the ones in the 24-26yo age bracket that should be lifting but they go to ####ing mush when the heat is on and look for you know who two to give them the footy all night. The Bulldogs had the guts to drop Stringer leading up to the finals. We are not winning a flag until we start to show the same accountability. Too many know they will get away with s**t, pea hearted, pathetic performances.

i was gonna right something but you mentioned my thoughts to the letter, surely most would agree with this

i wonder if we would have made finals this year if we didn't have dangerfield?
+

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've all become a bit spoiled for success it was a poor showing in the prelim but a reasonably successful year.

This is our 8th Prelim in 13 seasons, the dogs are about to play their 8th since their last flag in 1953.

Teams like Richmond, Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon could only dream of getting this far in a season.

Put things into perspective, I can't see us getting worse next year so we should be in the frame to contend again.

I thought anything short of a GF appearance was a failure to be honest. All the trading over the off season last year was to win a flag.

Come prelim week we were in the best position to win it. Home final, minimal injuries, rested up. Yet we blew it. Like Chris said in the presser - so much hard work to get to that point. We were in such a great position.

An absolute golden opportunity unfortunately not taken is the most dissapointing thing in 2016 for me.

Last edited:
Pass - Too many holes in our game for us to win the flag, shattered about last night yet I feel although if we had won the flag we wouldn't have deserved it that much.

Better recruit well if we're a chance next year.
Better recruit well?? With what. We did all our recruiting last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that. We have nothing left to recruit with. When are going to start drafting players again?

Great review by Cursed_Cat.

After the losses to Collingwood and Carlton early in the year I was extremely worried. These games showed things were not right. The loss to St. Kilda and the woeful 3 quarters versus Richmond showed that whatever the issues were, they hadn't been fixed.

Performances by individuals seem to be the major factor in us winning games...mainly Dangerfield and Selwood. Not enough moments of 'wow what a great team goal', it was more 'wow what a great effort' by an individual player.

Hopefully this coming off season will meld the individuals into a team.

Big question marks over several senior players who had very ordinary years. Hopefully there will be a full review on why Duncan, Motlop, Blicavs and Guthrie went backwards form wise.

I think this year for me is best summed up by saying I never fully trusted the team to get the job done
Yep, a few weeks ago when I was having an enforced break from the board I said this to veedubs in a message.

"I think we are ready to go.
I still doubt we can play well for 3 consecutive games."

We've just been too inconsistent.
But overall, 2016 was a good year.

Better recruit well?? With what. We did all our recruiting last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that. We have nothing left to recruit with. When are going to start drafting players again?

It's going to be interesting. By the methods the club has used there simply won't be many draft picks coming through at least in the next year or two. The group we have now is the group they've committed to.

We need to get some smart footy brains into the coaching area. We need to shake up our game plan, completely. It's never going to win finals.

All in all though, 2016 was Danger wood and not much else. We made a prelim but not reaching the GF means I'll put this year down as a missed oppertunity and a failure.

In the offseason last year we clearly recruited for the now, so if we don't snag a flag it could backfire.

I think we were the best team in it.

Nah. Swans finished on top for a reason.

They lost five games (same as us) but three of them were lost in the last minute of games (v Rich, Bulldogs, Hawthorn) showing they were in it to the death.

When they played terribly against bottom 8 sides (Brisbane at the GABBA and Carlton at the SCG spring to mind) they found ways to grind out unconvincing wins whereas we lost to Collingwood and Carlton.

Their key mids all had consistent year, aside from Danger & Sel ours were up and down.

Getting to a prelim is a good achievement for 2016 but obviously threw away golden opportunity once we got there.

Dangerfield, Menzel, Henderson and Menegola were the highlights at a player level.

There were issues during the year that were never properly addressed. Our backline was too slow, lack of quality forward options that could also apply defensive pressure, finding suitable roles for Blicavs, Mackie, Bartel.

I'm not convinced we'll be better next year. No improvement this year in Caddy, Motlop, Duncan, Murdoch, GHS and Guthrie so can assume they've peaked. That's the biggest worry.

I think we should have tried the one ruck option plus Blicavs on more occasions as Stanley and Smith just didn't do enough up forward and Blicavs lost as midfielder.

Cockatoo and Thurlow appear only major upside for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back