List Mgmt. 2017 captain - Dayne Beams

Who would you like to be captain in 2017.

• Rockliff

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Zorko

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • Robinson

Votes: 42 22.1%
  • Beams

Votes: 53 27.9%
  • Rich

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So 3 co-captains then? We might as well go the full-house. There is a precedent:

350_lions2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any faith in a single player as captain. Remember when announced we were asking for a priority pick and Zorko said we didn't need one? We can't seriously have him as our sole captain. With respect he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. Beams hasn't played a lot recently - he's biggest asset is that he hasn't done anything stupid...or at least anything stupid at the Lions. Robinson has had a presence in his short time at the club, but not exactly sole captain material all things considered now.

Beams, Zorko, Robinson co-captains. Rich, Martin and someone else as part of leadership group.

I personally don't believe in co captains. I believe in one captain but then the make up of the next tier can vary. I believe there needs to be one definitive leader with strong deputy/leadership support.
Not too many co captain roles have really worked (haven't researched this but Melbournes definitely didn't)
If Chris Fagan is the type of coach that includes the captain in a selection meeting, having two that may differ in opinion could complicate that process.
I really don't have a lot to back up my thoughts apart from my belief that too many heads in leadership isn't always the best option.

I agree with what the poll seems to show. Zorko the captain, Beams and Robinson the lead by example vice captains, and there's not a whole lot of leadership after that.

I'd go with Beams. He's certainly put in the hard yards off field with his injury recovery. His wife has just had a baby which seems to bring out the best in most footballers. Assuming he can get on the park he leads by example through his football ability. Whenever I see him interviewed, he can certainly string a sentence together, and IMHO he is usually with listening to.

For me, Robinson is a great story, but I don't think he has the character to be the captain. He's certainly doing a lot of good things on and off field, but he doesn't appear to have the serious temperament off field.

Zorko is in a similar category. He's a great story, regularly our best player and does all the right things, but doesn't sound like a captain when he speaks. He would need some serious media training.

Unfortunately Rich is a bit too inconsistent on-field. It's hard to have a captain who can so easily be tagged out of the game.

Last edited:
I'd go Giraffe. I know he will only be in his 3rd year but he was so impressive when he was mic'd up. Just make sure he has a goo mentor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about someone a little left field?
Stef Martin seems to have good work ethic and popular in the club even if he is a little softly spoken.

Need Harris Andrews in the leadership group too.

If we had a preferential voting system for Captain I would go

1. Robbo
2. Zorko
3. Beams

I am also really keen to see some generational succession planning / bridge building and would like Andrews, Mayes and Walker in a leadership group that also included Rich and Martin.

I might be wrong, but these eight strike me as players who we could build a team around, especially if we can draft some senior talent.

Im with an earlier poster who questioned the selection of Beams. Feom outside looking in he seems a bit of a Daniel Rich type character, very laid back. He doesnt seem to like the spotlight and appears a little shy? Add persistant rumours that he enjoys the party a little too much and Im just not seeing it.

Its scary even saying it but Im for Mitch Robinson. If the club wants someone who can unify the team, he is the man. He seems to have a great rapport with the young blokes and certainly leads by example on the field. Also seems to be setting an example off the field and living a respectable family orientated life. I guess like some blokes of his character he could be one poor decision/ event away from meltdown and I do worry about him being taken advantage of by the media. Perhaps making him co captain might be the best option.

I personally don't believe in co captains. I believe in one captain but then the make up of the next tier can vary. I believe there needs to be one definitive leader with strong deputy/leadership support.
Not too many co captain roles have really worked (haven't researched this but Melbournes definitely didn't)
If Chris Fagan is the type of coach that includes the captain in a selection meeting, having two that may differ in opinion could complicate that process.
I really don't have a lot to back up my thoughts apart from my belief that too many heads in leadership isn't always the best option.

I reckon Lynch and Voss went ok, until Vossy was ready to fly Solo.

I agree a strong sole captain is ideal but at least for this year, I think we have no standouts and of the three top candidates, there are questions about all. I would lean towards Beams and Zorko. I thought Zorko did a great job deputising on field when Rocky was out, and the question abou Beams is going to be when he can get on the field.

I'd like to wait another couple of years before looking closer at Andrews.

NB- If Clarke was still around I would have him in the leadership group in a second. How many times am I going to wonder what might have been for that young man?

Im with an earlier poster who questioned the selection of Beams. Feom outside looking in he seems a bit of a Daniel Rich type character, very laid back. He doesnt seem to like the spotlight and appears a little shy?
He looks anything but on his regular Locker Room Videos i.e. shy or not enjoying the spotlight.

Anastasia?

She does lead a largely inexperienced team.

(But seriously in one game last year one of the commentators referred to a certain young Lions KPD as "Daniel Andrews". This prompted another commentator to offer an otherwise unsolicited assessment of the Victorian premier. Since then Harris has been the Premier to me)

The impression I gleam from the club is that Zorko is much loved but is not necessarily the smartest cookie in the jar.

Will be Beams I reckon. Andrews the heir to the throne.
Buckley captained Collingwood.

I think Beams has the ability to step up and lead. I think he has just taken a step back and allowed the captain to do the captaining but has he been an on and off field leader since he has been here. Highly respected by everyone as well and can talk to the youngsters and also has excellent relationships with staff and support staff. He comes across as someone you can trust so I think if he can get his body right he should be captain next season.

His next closest competitors are Zorko and Robbo for mine. Zorko comes across a little bit immature while Robbo is Robbo wears his heart on his sleeve but can be capable of some stupid things.

Back