Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Darcy Fogarty at pick 2 or 3 if he can show his brilliance with some consistency in the midfield . But the question is what if he reaches 195cm by draft time ? where do you play him ? He could be a real bull midfielder , Cripps & Fogarty would an awesome combination.

It's Darcy Fogarty at pick 2 or 3 if he can show his brilliance with some consistency in the midfield . But the question is what if he reaches 195cm by draft time ? where do you play him ? He could be a real bull midfielder , Cripps & Fogarty would an awesome combination.

Not really if he is exactly like Cripps.

Cripps is a beast but you wouldn't want to have 2 of him in a team tbh...the midfield would be lacking speed and spread.

It's why i like the idea of Hopper as he will help Cripps with the contested stuff, but is a better runner and kick than Cripps to also help with spreading.

Not to turn this into a list management discussion, just curious as to how the top end midfielders are currently looking vs Hopper in his draft year?
Does anyone have an opinion on this who have watched a bit of juniors?

I mean if all of them aren't as highly rated as he was and have some flaws (eg some ppl saying Worpel's disposal isn't good enough), then it would make sense to trade our 2017 1st for Hopper (and maybe some change).

Can't get caught up in the draft pick number you're trading, it's actually looking at the players we could get at that pick and if they're rated higher or lower than Hopper.

Focusing more on draft discussion, is someone like Raynor or Fogarty a better prospect than Hopper?

Not to turn this into a list management discussion, just curious as to how the top end midfielders are currently looking vs Hopper in his draft year?
Does anyone have an opinion on this who have watched a bit of juniors?

I mean if all of them aren't as highly rated as he was and have some flaws (eg some ppl saying Worpel's disposal isn't good enough), then it would make sense to trade our 2017 1st for Hopper (and maybe some change).

Can't get caught up in the draft pick number you're trading, it's actually looking at the players we could get at that pick and if they're rated higher or lower than Hopper.

Focusing more on draft discussion, is someone like Raynor or Fogarty a better prospect than Hopper?
It's hard to say so early in the season but at this stage I'd say he's ahead of the mids in this years draft.

We're talking about a player who was comfortably the best mid in his draft, ahead of Oliver, Mills and Parish ect.
He was arguably better than Wietering, which says enough.

I would say the two from this years draft that will go close are LDU and Raynor if he can prove himself as a genuine mid.

Sounds a little high. KPD are set up for the next decade, might take another tall forward and a ruck - maybe 20-30%

Average over our last 2 draft/trade periods was around 40%. The better list managers/clubs, will always continue to top up on KPP, no matter how healthy their list is. Given we have a few that are either older and or may not make it, the list will constantly be topped up, as a secession plan, as we know KPP take longer to come on. This draft is strong for KPP

Some of the names that MAY, need to be replaced over the next 4 years or sooner
ASOS, Rowe, Kreuzer, Casboult, Gorringe, Jones, Jaksch, JGM & Korcheck

I just want to hear the commentary of Petrevski-Seton handballs to Davies-Uniacke 5 times. Viojo-Rainbow would have made it even sweeter.

How do you feel about this, HyphensBack?

I am on board with another high quality hyphen in the team - Rainbow just wasn't up to it

I would however prefer if our current players would handball to Petrevski-Seton (rather then the other way)

we gotta figure out how to get in Samo's hands more - so much more damaging then others (amazing how Samo and Willo can already do this but some of our older players just kick it blindly)

It's hard to say so early in the season but at this stage I'd say he's ahead of the mids in this years draft.

We're talking about a player who was comfortably the best mid in his draft, ahead of Oliver, Mills and Parish ect.
He was arguably better than Wietering, which says enough.

I would say the two from this years draft that will go close are LDU and Raynor if he can prove himself as a genuine mid.
People were impressed by Hopper, but Mills was always the standout, with Oliver the bolter.

Some of the names that MAY, need to be replaced over the next 4 years or sooner
ASOS, Rowe, Kreuzer, Casboult, Gorringe, Jones, Jaksch, JGM & Korcheck

I think many of those names have been accounted for already in going for Weitering, Jack, Charlie, McKay, Plowman, MacReadie and Marchbank.

Assuming Jesse and Korcheck are a bust :(, that's really only a ruck and maybe a tall at either end for insurance in my book.

Do we pick Mil Hanna's nephew?

I think many of those names have been accounted for already in going for Weitering, Jack, Charlie, McKay, Plowman, MacReadie and Marchbank.

Assuming Jesse and Korcheck are a bust :(, that's really only a ruck and maybe a tall at either end for insurance in my book.

Do we pick Mil Hanna's nephew?

Most of those kids are 3rd talls. As for Hanna, sure he is eligible to be drafted by Essendon this year as a Next Generation Academy player

Not really if he is exactly like Cripps.

Cripps is a beast but you wouldn't want to have 2 of him in a team tbh...the midfield would be lacking speed and spread.

It's why i like the idea of Hopper as he will help Cripps with the contested stuff, but is a better runner and kick than Cripps to also help with spreading.

I would love to have two Patrick Cripps'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My philosophy is that with a high end pick like the one we'll have (top ~5), you not only have to pick for just talent, you have to pick for talent + the likelihood that you'll get the opportunity to pick up a similar type of player when (if) you start travelling back up the ladder.

That's why true KPF's go earlier, you simply don't get the chance to pick them in general terms once your picking from after around the 10-12 mark.

The same goes for certain types of midfielders.
The high possession outside mids with good pace/endurance and foot skills will always go high because they just aren't that common...

Similarly, explosive/dynamic mids with break away pace and high contested v uncontested possession ratio will go high; even if they don't necessarily accumulate huge possession numbers (although it obviously helps).

It's for these reasons I don't like picking up midfielders who rack up big numbers, and may be very good players but but don't have any real stand out weapons with top 5 picks. A good example was Parish, who while is a good player, isn't elite in either an outside or inside fashion. He's just very good at both.

IMO we need mids, and either of the above type would be significantly useful.
Of the two though, I would be leaning towards the explosive, inside variety.
We are lucky in that by the end of this season its highly likely there will be several powerful fwd-come inside midfielders to select from, and we'll be selecting from a position where we can pick the cream of that crop.

In the past I've followed the u/18's quite closely, I used to work part time in recruitment. This year unfortunately I'll be away for the most part of the season. As a result I'm not going to bother following it (to the extent I have in the past at least).

I think we're in a really strong position this year if we were to go with selecting an inside mid.

My personal favourite-
Luke Davies-Uniacke (prick to spell)
Thanks. That gives me more perspective.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who is the best 'classy' midfielder in this year's pool?

I don't necessarily want the biggest or fastest or even the best goal-kicking mid.

I want a kid guy who has time, makes the right decisions and exquisite skills. You know, another SPS...

Who is the best 'classy' midfielder in this year's pool?

I don't necessarily want the biggest or fastest or even the best goal-kicking mid.

I want a kid guy who has time, makes the right decisions and exquisite skills. You know, another SPS...

At this early stage, hard to determine that, but if the draft was here and now Joel Garner

I remember Emma Quayle ranked Hopper as the best player in the draft at the time, but that's just one opinion.

Knightmare had him high, 1 or 2 from memory
Hopper went up a bit at the end, but the Dees were the first ones to take a swing at a mid and they bid on Mills, then took Oliver.

So far, they've been spot on.

Didn't Garner do his "apprenticeship" with us last pre-season?

Him and Penrith was it?
Garner did his AIS-sponsored pre-season with us, yes.

Back