Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible but unlikely. Would require everything to go well for us from here on out, and for some of those sides to suffer some very bad luck.

Would be very surprised if more than three of those five finished below us.

If that's the case, then best case for us, from a drafting POV would be if we could finish just above Brisbane and GCS, then get SOS to do his little SPS trick, ie tell the other clubs thanks, but I really want to play my footy in Melbourne and potentially get the player we'd take at pick 1 or 2 anyway.

In that infamous Rogers draft year (Boekhorst/Rainbow) i went for Goddard with our 1st and Blakely with our 2nd in the lead up to the draft and as it panned out , both were available at the selections .
Goddard seems to have slipped off the face of the earth (Achilles) ? but Blakely is coming along very nicely now .
There's no guarantees of course but it's an interesting exercise for us mug punters out there each year ...

I felt the same way about that draft.

Goddard at 19, quality young key defender because we desperately needed one.

Blakely at 27, didn't think he would last this long but went later. Was incredibly sharp around the clearances, released other players into space.

I'm not sure l will ever get over this draft. Ballsed up an excellent draft. Every time l watch freo with Blakely it grates on me.

Last years selections were excellent and shows we have moved forward.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rayner or Fogerty. You'd have to assume that we'll end up with pick two,and either of these two seem like a perfect addition to our midfield.
I think Carlton will get pick 2 or 3 as well, but if the club can trade for Hopper and Balic then I think Brander would be a great get at our pick and as much as we need mids, you have to have someone to kick to up forward.............if not then Darcy Fogarty I guess, who can also play up forward by the look of it. Who do people think the lions would go for.........mids maybe?

Gold Coast
Hawthorn
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Brisbane obviously

I think we'll finish 12-14th
I think that your cats`glasses are rose coloured just like the beams coming from them..........would be very surprised if we end ahead of anyone apart from Brissie and possibly G.C. but as we have to play them both in QLD later even that is a stretch.......pick 2 or 3 for mine!!! we have not beaten the haws since dinosaurs ruled the planet...........!!!

I think that your cats`glasses are rose coloured just like the beams coming from them..........would be very surprised if we end ahead of anyone apart from Brissie and possibly G.C. but as we have to play them both in QLD later even that is a stretch.......pick 2 or 3 for mine!!! we have not beaten the haws since dinosaurs ruled the planet...........!!!
It's time

Hopper went up a bit at the end, but the Dees were the first ones to take a swing at a mid and they bid on Mills, then took Oliver.

So far, they've been spot on.

Garner did his AIS-sponsored pre-season with us, yes.
Todd Elton did the AIS-sponsored pre-season with us a few years back ...

We'll probably finish with pick 2 so it's between
1) Midfielders: O'Brien
2) Talls: Sam Hayes or Jarrod Brander ( 2meter and over by draft time)
3) Versatility; Half forwards / Midfielders, Darcy Fogarty or Jaidyn Stephenson.
Any of these lads would be an amazing addition to the team.

Sam Hayes would be a great pick 2. We need a replacement for Kreuzer down the track, and Hayes can play the Forward/Ruck position well. In terms of mids, we would need to trade up in the first round again to get a top notch mid, but then again later picks will have some talent around.

From Knightmare's draft power ranking
19. Jack Higgins (VIC)
Best position: General forwars/inside midifeld
Height, weight: 176cm, 73kg
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: First to second round
Profile: Arguably one of the most advanced players in this draft class with several games of 30 or more disposals in the TAC Cup. Higgins has booted 19 goals from his 10 games and is a classy ball user who wins his share of the contested ball through the midfield. He is also a natural crumber who keeps his feet, draws high free kicks and finishes effectively around goal

I love the look of this guy, I reckon his stock will rise as we get closer to the draft unfortunately so I doubt he'll be around at our second pick. Will watch his career closely, love the way he goes about it.

Think we should just go best available with our first unless the option is a defender. The pick for need after that. Still too many holes to say mid or forward with our first.

Sam Hayes would be a great pick 2. We need a replacement for Kreuzer down the track, and Hayes can play the Forward/Ruck position well. In terms of mids, we would need to trade up in the first round again to get a top notch mid, but then again later picks will have some talent around.

Can't see a ruckman going that high.

Tim English was a top prospect last year, with Kreuzer-esque giant-midfielder abilities and arguably better disaposal skills. Showed some signs up forward too. He ended up at pick #19.

Hayes is touted as equally good fwd as ruck, but would be surprised to see him go top 10 unless he kicks a stack of goals / shows huge signs up fwd at the champs.

19. Jack Higgins (VIC)
Profile: Arguably one of the most advanced players in this draft class with several games of 30 or more disposals in the TAC Cup. Higgins has booted 19 goals from his 10 games and is a classy ball user who wins his share of the contested ball through the midfield. He is also a natural crumber who keeps his feet, draws high free kicks and finishes effectively around goal

I love the look of this guy, I reckon his stock will rise as we get closer to the draft unfortunately so I doubt he'll be around at our second pick. Will watch his career closely, love the way he goes about it.
We recruited 2 short people last year. Don't think we need more, even though he may well become a good player

I felt the same way about that draft.

Goddard at 19, quality young key defender because we desperately needed one.

Blakely at 27, didn't think he would last this long but went later. Was incredibly sharp around the clearances, released other players into space.

I'm not sure l will ever get over this draft. Ballsed up an excellent draft. Every time l watch freo with Blakely it grates on me.

Last years selections were excellent and shows we have moved forward.
If we had picked Goddard the talk would be that it was another Rogers stuff up. 3 yr (despite missing last year with injury) and is struggling to get into the ones. Was a slider after initially being highly rated and didn't really put his hand up againsts the NBs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19. Jack Higgins (VIC)

I reckon you're right - too early to take with our first but unlikely to be around for our 2nd - not that we currently have one. I reckon at this early stage Knightmare has him pegged around the right mark

Without the benefit being able to watch live U18 games I went back and watched last years U17 allstars match held on GF day and he dominated - if I had to equate him to current AFL players, he actually moved and reminded me of Gresham - finding the pill at U18 level is certainly not one of his issues, may be more of a fwd mid at next level rather than mid or mid fwd but time will tell

Who is the best 'classy' midfielder in this year's pool?

I don't necessarily want the biggest or fastest or even the best goal-kicking mid.

I want a kid guy who has time, makes the right decisions and exquisite skills. You know, another SPS...

For what you've mentioned above, albeit a small sample size (last years U17 all stars game), I thought this kid oozed class but also was very outside... here's KM's write up...not sure about the Hanley comparison, didn't see that at all but will watch with U18 champs with interest.

Also interested if some U18 TAC watchers have some more info to add?

9. Lochie O'Brien (VIC)
Best position: Outside midfield
Height, weight: 184cm, 74kg
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Projected draft range: First round
Similar to: Pearce Hanley
April Ranking: 9
Profile: Finding a lot of the ball and doing his best work on the outside, Lochie O'Brien is an outside runner, who evades tackles, uses the ball cleanly on his left foot, is strong overhead and in the one-on-one contests. O'Brien averaged 24 disposals per game through his five TAC Cup games and has also showed proficiency winning the contested ball.
Strengths:
- Acceleration
- Line breaking
- Evasiveness
- Agility
- Precise and damaging kick
- Vision
- Decision-making
- Overhead marking
- Production
- Versatility to play midfield or on flanks at either end
Weaknesses:
- Stoppage work

If we had picked Goddard the talk would be that it was another Rogers stuff up. 3 yr (despite missing last year with injury) and is struggling to get into the ones. Was a slider after initially being highly rated and didn't really put his hand up againsts the NBs.

Are you aware Goddard ruptured his Achilles' tendon in his second year?

There seems to be this line of thought that if key position players don't come on immediately they are busts. The first 2 years on a list doesn't normally produce much for key position players. It's how it is panning out for McKay.

Boyd, mcartin and schache are almost being written off by many. High draft pick key forwards don't often produce a lot in there first 4 years.

I don't know how good Goddard will be but lm not concerned by him not playing seniors. He's young and coming back from a significant injury.

Personally l look for key position players, on average, to establish themselves as regular strong senior players around that 4th year.

Are you aware Goddard ruptured his Achilles' tendon in his second year?

There seems to be this line of thought that if key position players don't come on immediately they are busts. The first 2 years on a list doesn't normally produce much for key position players. It's how it is panning out for McKay.

Boyd, mcartin and schache are almost being written off by many. High draft pick key forwards don't often produce a lot in there first 4 years.

I don't know how good Goddard will be but lm not concerned by him not playing seniors. He's young and coming back from a significant injury.

Personally l look for key position players, on average, to establish themselves as regular strong senior players around that 4th year.

I was aware that he missed last through injury (which is why I stated it in my post). My point was Rogers was being criticised for his 2014 selection, but would still be getting criticised for Goddard.

No, you can never be sure and everyone has a different eye.
Goddard didn't particularly impress me in his TAC year and nothing I've seen since has him as a stand out player to me.
Was lost last weekend but yes, he is coming from some way back.

Sometimes you don't have to be a particularly good player but just one that can play a role.
I didn't like Cordy, Dunkley nor Vickers-Willis in their draft year either, but all are now getting regular games.

Fair enough you weren't keen on Goddard. I will give you an idea of what l saw.

In his final u18 year struggled to play forward where he was expected to do well. Ended up playing as key defender. Was very good over head, had good hands and was a very good kick. He was also physically strong and athletic. He appeared to have good judgement and positioned well to intercept mark.

I thought he was a sure thing to be a decent AFL defender, not a star necessarily, but a reliable key defender. Because of his marking and and very good kicking he had the potential to go forward later in his career.

I will still be surprised if he doesn't make the grade.

I wouldn't compare him to rogers mistakes. Those picks were flawed in very obvious ways.

Think if Jayden Stephenson can step up and show he can also play as a mid, he could be an option for us, can do some pretty freakish stuff up forward, plays very much like Will Hayward, but much better overhead marking, very interested to see how he goes at champs.

It will be interest to see how the champs go because at the moment all of the top picks seem to have flaws.

Still very early days, this time last year and McGrath, McCluggage, Taranto weren't being talked about as top 3 picks.
Wasn't till after champs things started to take shape and most of really highly rated prospects seem to have a really big finish to there draft years.

Still very early days, this time last year and McGrath, McCluggage, Taranto weren't being talked about as top 3 picks.
Wasn't till after champs things started to take shape and most of really highly rated prospects seem to have a really big finish to there draft years.
McCluggage absolutely was, alongside Brodie.

McCluggage absolutely was, alongside Brodie.

Your right McCluggage was killing it early in the year, IIRC wasn't quite at the pick one stage before Champs
Coming into Champs it was Brodie SPS and Anisworth.
McGrath and Taranto didn't come into top 2 pick talks, till very late, Taranto off the back of TAC cup finals and U18 All Star game really rocketed up the draft board.

Your right McCluggage was killing it early in the year, IIRC wasn't quite at the pick one stage before Champs
Coming into Champs it was Brodie SPS and Anisworth.
McGrath and Taranto didn't come into top 2 pick talks, till very late, Taranto off the back of TAC cup finals and U18 All Star game really rocketed up the draft board.

SPS was ranked no1 the year before

Back