2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Delusional opinion that makes no sense. So if someone like Sheridan gets dropped, he can't play footy and force his way into the team? He just has to impress at training and hope he gets picked?

Is he still coaching at the Lions? For someone with afl coaching experience, that's a seriously pathetic idea.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair I'm slightly exaggerating how illogical and badly made Woewodin's comments were.
The basic thrust of what he was trying (badly) to say, as far as I can gather was that if players have played the second half of the season predominantly in the AFL they then shouldn't be allowed to drop back a level.
Like Ryan and Cox who might have started the year for Peel, played enough games to qualify but then became regular best 22 for Freo should now be considered primarily AFL players and not be eligible for finals for Peel.
It was more the way he kept adding conditions and contradicting himself I was making fun of.

Yet Port Adelaide have 17 players in a SANFL Grand Final, whilst Richmond have 19 players in a VFL prelim.
I know I'm swimming against the tide in this debate, but I don't see tha because it as a good thing for any of those competitions. Competition is the soul of sport and that kind of situation kills competition.

I hope they find a more balanced approach because the fact it is happening in every league indicates it isn't balanced atm.

The alignment works well enough until finals time. A system needs to be in place that ensures that Peel and East Perth are at a similar level to that they were for most of the season. The more AFL games than WAFL games isn't a bad idea - you could take it one step further and base it entirely on the second last game of the season. To add to that I think players should need to at least get a stat for games to count. What we've done with Balic last year and Bennell this year should not be allowed imo.

FWIW our players that wouldn't be playing WAFL finals if it was a more AFL than WAFL rule are Suban, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Cox, Ryan and Logue. Basing it on the second half of the season means Darcy would be sitting it out as well with Taberner borderline depending on where you draw the line - probably makes it if it's literally second half of the season but misses out if it's last third or whatever. Without these guys in the side we probably have a side that is roughly what Peel was putting out in the last month of the home and away season. It's not overly difficult tbh.

fascinating listening to 720 this morning, Shane Woewodin explaining that they should only allow Freo players who don't play for Freo to play for Peel and therefore only first year players and rookies should get to play but they should exclude stars like Logue, Ryan and Cox who shouldn't be allowed to play. Or established players like Suban & Suttcliffe & Taberner & Griff.
It was very confusing, kind of that only players are aren't actually any good should get to play. Or even if they're no good but have played seniors they still shouldn't play.
Which would presumably leave Zac Dawson on his own down there.

A big hole in his argument was that Cox hasn't played a final and Ryan didn't play against Sowfs.

National reserves league. To be played as curtain raisers. The kids then get exposed to the requirements of travel sooner and all that other stuff. We get a good indication of how a our youth is progressing in relation to the rest of the league.
Why not this? So simple. There was a Eastern states based AFL Reserves (correct me if I'm wrong) during the 90s. Saw Brent Harvey in action during the Reserves GF in 1996, before the main event. Was interesting to watch.

With the AFL Reserves, they get to travel with the main team, bond as team mates and learn what it takes with the build up and preparation. That way fans can still get there earlier and watch the depth in action. A whole day at the footy, especially the new stadium. Can't complain. Top up with academy picks and invitees from local leagues. Also chance for delisted players and undrafted to show their wares, possibly offer a lifeline at the end of the year.
Stuff the state leagues, they will realize sooner rather then later that the profits and opportunity the aligned clubs give will dry up. Then who will be complaining then?

English Football have this in place - U19s, U23s etc and English Premier League 2 for the seconds to compete against each other. Gives those a chance to build form and fitness.

Why not this? So simple. There was a Eastern states based AFL Reserves (correct me if I'm wrong) during the 90s. Saw Brent Harvey in action during the Reserves GF in 1996, before the main event. Was interesting to watch.
Because it would cost a shitload of money.

With the AFL Reserves, they get to travel with the main team, bond as team mates and learn what it takes with the build up and preparation. That way fans can still get there earlier and watch the depth in action. A whole day at the footy, especially the new stadium. Can't complain. Top up with academy picks and invitees from local leagues. Also chance for delisted players and undrafted to show their wares, possibly offer a lifeline at the end of the year.
Stuff the state leagues, they will realize sooner rather then later that the profits and opportunity the aligned clubs give will dry up. Then who will be complaining then?

English Football have this in place - U19s, U23s etc and English Premier League 2 for the seconds to compete against each other. Gives those a chance to build form and fitness.

Because it'd probably cost some clubs six figures over the course of a season. It'd mean increased lists, increased travel costs etc for no financial gain. In a competition where multiple clubs have financial handouts to survive a national reserves comp is not even close to sustainable.

The travel costs would be next to nothing in England in comparison. A lot cheaper to pay for a guy to drive a coach containing 25 or so coaches and players for 3-4 hours each way than pay for 30+ return airline tickets. Many of the trips in England wouldn't require paying for accomodation either.

Serves the WAFL clubs right for not allowing Freo and WC reserves sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it'd probably cost some clubs six figures over the course of a season. It'd mean increased lists, increased travel costs etc for no financial gain. In a competition where multiple clubs have financial handouts to survive a national reserves comp is not even close to sustainable.

The travel costs would be next to nothing in England in comparison. A lot cheaper to pay for a guy to drive a coach containing 25 or so coaches and players for 3-4 hours each way than pay for 30+ return airline tickets. Many of the trips in England wouldn't require paying for accomodation either.
And there's no incentive for any other teams to do it. VFL runs fine, SANFL are happy with how theirs is working, and NEAFL wouldn't have enough teams/talent without the AFL clubs.

I know I'm swimming against the tide in this debate, but I don't see tha because it as a good thing for any of those competitions. Competition is the soul of sport and that kind of situation kills competition.

I hope they find a more balanced approach because the fact it is happening in every league indicates it isn't balanced atm.
see Claremont ressies had about half dozen from their league through the season playing in the Prelim this weekend. Has to be the same across the board if they change anything next year

So during the season the aligned clubs can play the 15 AFL boys but come finals can only play minimum AFL players and become uncompetitive and smashed by the other finalists. Sounds like a great idea and a great finals spectacle. Should get the crowds through the gate in droves.:rolleyes:
I would have thought most players who are seeking to be drafted would relish the oppotunity to play on a listed afl player, especially in a final.

Pretty simple. The two AFL clubs have stand alone teams that can't play finals.

How would that work though? Anyone on our list gets injured and we couldn't field a side. It's not as simple as you make out.

We'd also have no reserves team which meant that whoever played us got no reserves game that week. Doesn't really seem like a fair deal for anyone.

Why would any non-Freo listed player want to play for a team that can't play in finals and knowing you'd always be the last picked?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back