2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Unique Name, Dec 20, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    MacPharlin.

We have drafted plenty of uninjured players who have not worked out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Sweetback

Sweetback Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I was being a little disingenuous in light of recent handwringing around Apeness.

meima, theGav56 and scon like this.
  3. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    Yeah I didn't think you were in the gloom brigade.

Sweetback likes this.
  4. SHill Shall

SHill Shall All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    He's going to have enormous upside given his natural skill and ability. i worry about whether he is "fitting in" to Freo's culture or has the right attitude. There was some quite negative vibe coming from the first and second year player's camp from what i was reading.

Would be a tragedy if we couldn't work through any issues (if they in fact exist) and have another Darcy Tucker on our hands to replace players like DP, Sutcliffe or cover any injuries to non key position players.

scon likes this.
  5. DannyTheDoorman

DannyTheDoorman Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Fremantle, Hajduk Split
    Please send me details via Conversation facility of what you read or rather point me to the article about the negative vibe coming from the first and second years camp. I would be most interested in what they said about Harley Balic.

Dump Truck and scon like this.
  6. DudleyDocker

DudleyDocker Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    NE Patriots
    Had a quick look at the Eagles WALF forum and there is a lot of doom and gloom there. Admittedly they do have a few spuds in there (baa), but I'd love to have a guy as good as Tom Barrass battling it out for a key defender position, and young Watson could be a real find if he sticks with it.

I think Redden was a dumb pickup for them (poor man's Priddis), but Pretty sure Duggan will find some form with a few more games under his belt.

Overall though, I think we can safely say we have a mile better midfield depth than them, and if Josh Kennedy goes down I think they might really struggle to kick scores - which makes their front-running shootout style a real problem for them.

It was a crap game last night, but some real bright spots for us.

meima likes this.
  7. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I just watched the TV replay after seeing the game live. Both teams played a typical round one type game, and the skills all night were terrible.

Jetta hadn't played for a year, nor was he even able to train with Peel, so 4 goals against an AFL quality backline was very good.

The fact that Sean Darcy at 18 years of age beat an experienced 3 club ruckman was fantastic.

I'm surprised that Sam Collins has been given more credit for keeping East Perth to just one goal for 3 quarters.

8. Unique Name

Unique Name Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Where did you watch the replay? Can't find it online anywhere yet.

9. Carnthedockers

Carnthedockers Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Just had the same argument with an eagles mate. How does a team that is joint favourites for the flag, not have the depth to knock off our seconds? To add to that,we have more injuries than them. They have a very solid 22, thats it. Is anyone surprised we didnt give more of our guys a run?

10. more_of_bito

more_of_bito Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Watched Balic struggle a few times after his kicks, seem to hobble a bit throughout, he had his calves strapped and saw him ask to come off unexpected (gray came on 3 seconds after coming off). Surprised he had 30 touches tbh, looked like he was a little lame or has an odd running style.

11. Carnthedockers

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Where were you reading that? Balics kicking still worries me. Every game I have watched, he simply "danyle pearces" the ball down the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. ilikepotatoes

ilikepotatoes Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
    I think 'Danyle Pearcing' the ball down the line is a tactic that the coaches like for whatever reason.

13. Carnthedockers

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Strange considering we arent blessed with talls.. makes no sense

14. ilikepotatoes

ilikepotatoes Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
    Makes more sense as to why Danyle has never been dropped however.

15. DMan 11

DMan 11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    IMO Balic was BOG.
    Really loved his work in close - his first instincts are high quality, his brings others in nicely and seems to find space where there isn't any. Everything he does is AFL quality except maybe his long kicking.
    He'll play at some stage this year in the 1's.
    Agree with others about Collins. Is Very handy depth and can see why Silva was moved on - quite similar playing styles .
    I'm not frothing as much as others over Sean Darcy. He definitely appears a natural ruckman, good body nous already but I think he has limitations. Happy to watch his development over the next couple of years, think I need 2 years to come to grips with Sandi not being the number 1 ruck.
    Duman showed some signs which was pleasing.
    Crozier did what he needed to do. As an AFL semi-regular if he wasn't dominating wafl I'd be concerned.
    Was good to see Brennan Cox at wafl level, he moves well - can't wait to see him grow confidence at this level.
    Loved the strong mark of Stradnica, I think he'll go well playing forward given the height, reach and leap he'll have over a teams second tall defender ( the first going with tabs).
    Finally, loved to watch Brady Grey go about it. I'm not sure he's Afl quality but he's the very de beor like in that he won't let you down as a team mate once the white line is crossed

16. Gussman

Gussman Debutant

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    How would you guys feel if Balic got Balla's position? He obviously won't be expected to play as a pressure small forward, but he could be quite damaging off half-forward.

Could even put him in a rotation with Fyfe, to give Balic some midfield time too.

17. Okinakashi

Okinakashi Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
    Bell might be a Freo man, but Adam Simpson is his best mate.

18. meima

meima Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Forget his two flag with Simpson help.

19. DMan 11

DMan 11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I don't think deep forward is his forte' and I'd guess his fitness base may not be there yet.
    Personally I don't see it, think he's suited better elsewhere

20. Dirty_banchez

Dirty_banchez Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    A few more thoughts:

-Why are the lights at Leederville so rubbish? You cannot see what is happening in close on the other side of the ground. It really is below standard.

-How do I get on the Freo media team? Those girls sent me into cardiac arrest.

-I hope the rules are changed soon so players are forced to keep some structure. The game on Saturday was ugly to watch with the scrum of players chasing the ball.

-I'm sick of seeing our team just bomb the ball into our fwd50. Do our players just see this:

[​IMG]

And think "Yep, that's how we'll score our goals"

21. Clems Knee

Clems Knee Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    And when they change the rules, you'll be the first to whinge and complain that the rules are always being changed.

Screen Name likes this.
  22. Keys

Keys Not Bitter

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Bengals
    Agree with the lighting. I found it really difficult to make out players on the opposite side of the oval and the overly congested style of game didn't help one iota

Only other WAFL venue I've watched a night game at was Fremantle Oval and the lights there weren't any better

23. FreoRicci

FreoRicci Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
    Yeah it is a concern, that with Pav retired still bombing it to a 2 or 3 on 1 contest and expect results.
    The exact tactic against Geelong last year infuriates me, given that the forwards have good leads and midfielders just don't freaking lower their eyes. That's the difference with top teams. The elite such as Bontempelli, Pendlebury make the forwards like A class players with their penetrating kicks. No point winning clearances, when the opposition's defenses win it back often. Not sure whether it's Ross' directive, but it cannot happen often this season with the forwards we have. None are Pav, and Tabs/McCarthy love it on the lea and will hardly win contested 1on1. Josh Kennedy doesn't kick 70+ goals with winning the long bombs. He's always getting it on the lead and low. Is it the skills of our current players? Not sure.

24. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears, Warriors
    The lights are rubbish because it's a WAFL ground, they aren't gonna spend a heap of money on high quality lighting for the occasional night game.

jedi mind tricks likes this.
  25. gaskin

gaskin Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    LFC, Glory, Wests, Seahawks
    While not the greatest, the lights at Freo are miles better than at Leederville Oval.