2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of our posters has a massive man crush on balic. Seems like he is starting to come along nicely. Any truth to the homesick rumours or do you expect to lock him away soon? Out of interest if he did seek a trade where would you value him?

I rate your recent draft hauls. Think you have some good youth coming through. Do you think Ross will give them solid game time? Specifically balic, tucker, langdon, weller?
Tucker, Weller, Langdon and Blakely are locks for B22 at this stage - all four were solid during pre-season and they'll only be dropped if they lose form/need a rest. Balic should win his way into the team after a few rounds at WAFL. The problem is knowing who comes out to make room, and also to make room for Harley Bennell whilst at it. Both would likely come in to play at half forward (pinch hitting in the middle) and we are a bit light on there atm so crossing fingers we can bring both in. I'm confident Balic will see plenty of AFL game time if he continues his WAFL performances - he is a class above state footy.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have mixed feelings about yesterday's game.

Pleased for Peel to get the win against a strong East Perth side, on paper. Pleased with a few of the youngsters - Sean Darcy, Strnadica, Duman, Balic amongst others.

Disappointed though that, at the end of the day, Peel won with good defence, good contested work, particularly around the stoppages and the ability of Leroy Jetta to conjure a goal.

I just don't think Freo can move forward until we can do more than defend, work the contested ball, particularly around the stoppages and conjure a goal now and again. I want to see some fluid ball movement and some inside 50 strategies from Freo and Peel, and I didn't see any semblance of that from Peel yesterday.
I agree , but maybe a win is more important start of the season . Compare to last week practice match this game is a bit tight . Part of it I think is due to Tab focus in WAfl game.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have mixed feelings about yesterday's game.

Pleased for Peel to get the win against a strong East Perth side, on paper. Pleased with a few of the youngsters - Sean Darcy, Strnadica, Duman, Balic amongst others.

Disappointed though that, at the end of the day, Peel won with good defence, good contested work, particularly around the stoppages and the ability of Leroy Jetta to conjure a goal.

I just don't think Freo can move forward until we can do more than defend, work the contested ball, particularly around the stoppages and conjure a goal now and again. I want to see some fluid ball movement and some inside 50 strategies from Freo and Peel, and I didn't see any semblance of that from Peel yesterday.
Im not sure anyone lowered their eyes the whole game entering fifty. Exactly the issue the senior side has.

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
Wing / HBF? Thought he was good and composed. HBF for me at AFL level; sort of a Sutcliffe/Birchall type.

Strnadica did some good things; the run down tackle may have made Ross blink, and a couple of marks in the backline whilst on stand-in ruck duty. Played a fair bit of time on the ground too.

I thought Logue was good in the second half and better overall than some were making him out to be. Just need to be patient whilst he learns the role.

I concur with others about Crozier - had a good game but he isn't playing inside mid at AFL level. Would rather see him groomed as a backman or as a forward.

I thought Sheridan did actually have some good moments but there was also the average ones too. I barely saw Suban.

Grey could still have a role at AFL level - tackles well and runs hard and I didn't think thd kicking was too bad.
Didn't get to c the game was he playing mid and would he be able to replace ballas as a defensive forward?

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
Yeah I think in time Duman could become probably more a Mundy type of inside mid. The knock on him is his contested work but I liked what I saw last night - he did some great tackles, and got in and under a few times which given his sleight frame atm is a good sign (he doesn't seem scared at all). Maybe we need him to join the Fyfe program next off season? I think start him at half back and move him on to the wing at times - his kicking inside 50 would be helpful once the forward line works its sh*t out. I really wanted Rotham pre-draft but after watching him and Duman both play last night I think I prefer Duman now (pick #37 vs rookie pick #3 - insert evil laugh here).
Good to hear, is a duman a good kick?

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Really happy to see Balic run out the whole game in such a positive manner after some doubts put on his preseason by the training watchers. There may have been some issues/injury but he has certainly got himself together in the last scratchie and first game, very promising and could get a game into the future, has passed Suban and now on the tail of Sheridan IMO.
Yeah, he doesn't seem that far off. The way people were talking on here I thought he probably wouldn't be considered until mid-year.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Didn't get to c the game was he playing mid and would he be able to replace ballas as a defensive forward?

More on the flank back of centre.

No don't see him as a Ballas replacement defensive forward; if you wanted to add defensive pressure the player to bring in is Grey. The problem is that you would be trading off for below-average skill level; for mine Langdon is the right combination of speed, defensive tackling and goal sense to replace Ballantyne in the short term; whilst Bennell is probably the longer term solution if he can get his hamstrings right.

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
I thought grey was gonna be a star last year, seriously don't know why he got dropped. Pretty harsh for a youngster yet blakely and langon had a quiet few before they came good

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I thought grey was gonna be a star last year, seriously don't know why he got dropped. Pretty harsh for a youngster yet blakely and langon had a quiet few before they came good
Not sure , I give up putting his case up . Is not like croz and other don't have enough time to prove themselves. Well at least the upside is I can enjoy peeling opponent more.

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
Not sure , I give up putting his case up . Is not like croz and other don't have enough time to prove themselves. Well at least the upside is I can enjoy peeling opponent more.
I think it was a couple years back he played on winggard kept him goalless and picked up 20+ disposal pretty impressive

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
upside is I can enjoy peeling opponent more.

:thumbsu:like it and think you're right.
I thought they might be too youthful and inexperienced at Peel this season but last night showed there is actually a very potent mix brewing up at Rushton.
Best of our youth look very promising,some look quite classy.
Very reassuring display last night.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah it was when wingard was in his aa year or coming of that aa not sure a few year's ago anyway
Yeah it was Rd 23 in 2015 when we rested most of our B22 vs Port. Barlow was pretty much our only senior player and dominated, Grey spanked Wingard, and Hughes was astonishing in his debut. We got thumped after running out of puff but the youngsters were pretty impressive.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Forget to mention, Ethan do very well yesterday compare to last week , maybe having logue help.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
:thumbsu:like it and think you're right.
I thought they might be too youthful and inexperienced at Peel this season but last night showed there is actually a very potent mix brewing up at Rushton.
Best of our youth look very promising,some look quite classy.
Very reassuring display last night.
Yes, I really enjoy the local boy also , gelling well with freo players, if the trends continue I think freo will draft one or two of them in the future.

Joeltownsmith

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dall cowboys
Forget to mention, Ethan do very well yesterday compare to last week , maybe having logue help.
Hughes is quite a solid player he's on our senior list yet ,I don't c him getting much minutes this year as I don't c who he's going to dislodge in our back 6

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle

Have you read the recent long interview with Lyon by Mark Duffield? He talks about how last season Freo went away from controlling the things they can and tried to focus on skills at the expense of effort. We tried to be Hawthorn and you can't unless you have a dozen or so left footers that can put the ball on a dime 55M away. Similarly while other teams this year will be trying to emulate Western Bulldogs manic handball game or the Eagles web Freo have gone back to basics - effort, intensity consistency at the contest because those are the things we can control. They are the things that got a team with players like Clancee Pearce, DeBoer, Mzungu, Suban into a Grand Final, demolishing Sydney and tossing Geelong on their own deck against all the odds.

The players themselves empowered Ross Lyon with their feedback that that is what they want to get back to.

Personally I was incredibly impressed by the consistency of effort and intensity over 4 quarters in the first game for points on a slippery deck under lights. A team with a lot of young and inexperienced players simply outworked and outmuscled a team with a fair bit more AFL experience.

If the seniors bring that in to round 1 we are a lot better chance than I've previously rated us. As for skill, it will come when the players carrying and moving the ball are Hill, Hill, Bennell, Mundy, Tucker (I rate him), Weller etc and they are kicking at McCarthy, Walters and a few more like that.

In 2013 we had the effort but not enough skill, I think we've brought a lot of skill in over the last couple of years, if we can get the effort and belief back to where is was we will have something.

Like Salim said, for a bunch of untried kids I've never been happier about a Peel performance. I can't believe how excited I am about Darcy, a big strong, mobile, skilful, Intelligent ruck like him can carry the next generation after Sandi hangs it up.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ballas replacement defensive forward; if you wanted to add defensive pressure the player to bring in is Grey. The problem is that you would be trading off for below-average skill level; for mine Langdon is the right combination of speed, defensive tackling and goal sense to replace Ballantyne in the short term; whilst Bennell is probably the longer term solution if he can get his hamstrings right.
I don't disagree with what you've said about Langdon and Bennell but I'd make the point that Ballantyne is as much about effort as he is about skill. He can do some neat things at times but he falls over, A LOT, fumbles, makes hasty decisions, rarely marks. I actually think Brady has him well covered for his evasive skills in traffic, vision and decision making and no one, no one is going to give more effort at the contest.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, he doesn't seem that far off. The way people were talking on here I thought he probably wouldn't be considered until mid-year.
Balic in reality is a first year player, missing the most of 2016 with that wrist injury. How much improvement is there
with him?
Was talked about as a top ten pick before that wrist problem, we have taken a gamble, that should payoff big time.

Back