2017 - The Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok just got my 2017 Happy Dream Calendar. Sitting here with my half full glass of orange juice. Popped on the glasses with a tint of rose about them.

2017 here we come......albeit limping, stumbling, crying....

This is what I would like to see in 2017:
1. A major shift in coaching strategy from adhering to structures to taking the game on, where effort is rated more than sticking to structures, let the kids play with flair and make the most of a dangerous forward mix. No expectations like 12 wins, just go hard with full intent, and reward form regardless of seniority.
2. A youth focus, not just in giving games, but in giving more responsibility than the usual kid gloves development approach.
3. A complete rejig of the midfield. Cunners, Dumont, Anderson, Clarke, Mountford, LMac and Higgins as our new generation midfield group, plus any mids we are fortunate to trade (Fyfe the fantasy, JOM the wish, Swallow D the hope, Hartlett the possibility). Assuming Spitta stays, he should become a stopper/tagger rather than inside mid, as best tackler in the side, but worst disposal, he is actually well suited to that role. JZ primarily becomes a playmaker at halfback (he is a much better player with the game in front of him), with just occasional midfield stints and Plan B shifts up forward, and BJ plays a mix of midfield, halfback, and half-forward in run with roles, as he transitions from pure stopper to playmaker.
4. Atley to the wing. Turn him into a classic running wingman, like the Hill brothers. He has a strong defensive game, he doesn't have the footy smarts to play mid, but he has the pace.....of a classic wingman.
5. A forward line of Brown-Wood-Daw-Thomas-Garner-Turner-Wagner, tough, hungry, with a mix of talent and mongrel. Let them gel together.
6. Assuming Wellsy leaves and we decide not to take Brown as free agent (i.e.. giving up a second round pick), and we let go at least 2 of Hansen, Thompson, and Tippett, then send the word to Durdin that centre half back is his for the taking, that EVW has Spud's spot waiting for him, and that Nielsen is first reserve, and let them hit preseason with a vengeance.

That'll do for now, the acid is wearing off...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back