2017 trade hypothetical thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He would be the number one small forward at the following clubs and that includes Carlton. The Blues small forward stocks is arguably the leagues worst. :)

Carlton
Geelong
Gold Coast
North Melbourne
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
Happy to pass, thanks all the same.

Saints
Out: 7 and 8
In: 3 and 19 or 22

Carlton
Out: 3
In: 7 and Kennedy

Geelong
Out: 19 and 22
In: 8

GWS
Out: Kennedy
In: pick 19 or 22

Who says no?

GWS would rather upgrade than downgrade I'd imagine. If Carlton are happy to downgrade their first then GWS would probably just do that.

However in theory your trade is reasonable.

GWS would rather upgrade than downgrade I'd imagine. If Carlton are happy to downgrade their first then GWS would probably just do that.

I must have missed the part where GWS downgraded their pick.

Also, I doubt clubs value picks 19 and 22 in this draft enough that one is enough to go from pick 7 to 3, and both are enough to get pick 8.

DangerSloane: Question would Adelaide even want Francis ?

From a neutrals point of view I just don't see a lot of value in Francis

I dont know really.
Hard to say seeing as he has minimal exposed form (at AFL level)

Theres no way we'd pay a first round pick or similar for him though.
He'd be a gamble at best. Cant see the bombers getting what theyd want for him, but you cant exactly ask for the world after not playing a bloke for 2 years.

Who? lol.

Not sure you quite get this trading game.

Sorry I dont get the trading game?

You've given us Betts and Jacobs
While taking off our hands Wright and Kerridge

I think its your club that dont understand the trading/FA game.

Just because you don't know who a player is doesnt mean much to anyone.

I think we were hoping lang would go there but it sounds like he wants to stay in Vic and will pick a Vic club. I think there was a list of some (probably fringe) players that we gave GC that we were willing to trade to them but basically all of those have reportedly refused to go. Hence why picks are a more likely trade now.

This is where the clubs get screwed.
No power to trade a player at all, so unless you can find someone to go to the rabble a deal becomes very difficult.

Saints
Out: 7 and 8
In: 3 and 19 or 22

Carlton
Out: 3
In: 7 and Kennedy

Geelong
Out: 19 and 22
In: 8

GWS
Out: Kennedy
In: pick 19 or 22

Who says no?
Given that the first round is largerly down to strike rate a lot of the time, Id be keeping 7&8 over 3&22, give yourself the most chances of an elite player at the pointy end of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question...

Why are adelaide seen as pricks for not letting a contracted Charlie Cameron move for family reasons, but Carlton are seen as brave and strong for not allowing a deal for Bryce Gibbs two years running for the same reasons?

We let him go we're 'leaking players' 'feeder club' etc etc.
We keep him and somehow we're the devil in club form.

Serious question...

Why are adelaide seen as pricks for not letting a contracted Charlie Cameron move for family reasons, but Carlton are seen as brave and strong for not allowing a deal for Bryce Gibbs two years running for the same reasons?

You are aware that your on the internet right?

That should answer the majority of your question

Serious question...

I don't think you should let him go (unless illness in family) unless you get a good deal. Just like us and Bryce.

Serious question...

Im not sure that Carlton are seen as brave for the decision. My thoughts on it are that Carlton knew Gibbs would still be contracted in 12 and 24 months time, so there was no risk of him walking from the club in 12 months, whereas there is a very real chance Cameron walks for nothing next season.

I don't blame Adelaide wanting to hang on to contracted players, of course you want to do that, but of all the options open to the Crows, I'm not sure holding him to his contract is the most beneficial outcome to the Crows

Im not sure that Carlton are seen as brave for the decision. My thoughts on it are that Carlton knew Gibbs would still be contracted in 12 and 24 months time, so there was no risk of him walking from the club in 12 months, whereas there is a very real chance Cameron walks for nothing next season.

I don't blame Adelaide wanting to hang on to contracted players, of course you want to do that, but of all the options open to the Crows, I'm not sure holding him to his contract is the most beneficial outcome to the Crows

He cant walk for nothing.
He would be out of contract and not even a RFA.

I dont think that holding him is that beneficial either, although now that Motlops price became too high, I think we need him for 2018.

In relation to Gibbs its even worse for him. His value is dropping far quicker than Cameron's.
The crows wouldnt even be interested at the end of 2018 IMO.

I don't think you should let him go (unless illness in family) unless you get a good deal. Just like us and Bryce.

Trouble is it sometimes doesn't have to be illness to really want to or need to move back for family reasons.

There are plenty of other perfectly legitimate family reasons.

I understand theyre both under contract, but the problem is as a player you'd want to lock away your future by signing longer term (incase you do your knee or whatever), but family things can change in a month, and situation changes quickly.

I think Carlton were doing really well getting a 1st and a 2nd for Gibbs, but doesnt seem like SOS see it that way.

Trouble is it sometimes doesn't have to be illness to really want to or need to move back for family reasons.

There are plenty of other perfectly legitimate family reasons.

I understand theyre both under contract, but the problem is as a player you'd want to lock away your future by signing longer term (incase you do your knee or whatever), but family things can change in a month, and situation changes quickly.

I think Carlton were doing really well getting a 1st and a 2nd for Gibbs, but doesnt seem like SOS see it that way.
Illness is the big one.... that's the one you really need to act on. Gibbs' reason is Family support or whatever. OK, but it's not quite the same thing, is it?

Also, I think people need to go back and review what Adelaide's proposal was.

To get quality you have to give it. A lesson Adelaide needs to learn. They also need to learn that you have to pay overs for a well liked, contracted player.

And if you want something, dont ask for everything.
A lesson SOS has to learn.

Are we going to discuss Carlton missing out on the players they wanted?

Is SOS going to get credit for playing hardball on those too?

Illness is the big one.... that's the one you really need to act on. Gibbs' reason is Family support or whatever. OK, but it's not quite the same thing, is it?

Also, I think people need to go back and review what Adelaide's proposal was.

In this day and age its becoming the same thing.
With mental health such a big thing, and such a challenge for a lot of young men (women too but we're talking about AFL here), do we really need to be made aware of the reasoning behind such a move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back