Training 2017 women's preseason (practice match Aust day (26 Jan) 6.30pm @ Holden Centre vs bulldogs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Conspiracy theory... the scheduling and moving of the game has been a charade to generate more press and anticipation for the launch of the women's league.

Lights certainly can't be an excuse for the match not being played at Vic Park, the AFL's bringing in temporary lights for Princes Park.

Also the AFL in their wisdom can't see capacity issues for any of our other games. :drunk:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-23/piesblues-aflw-opener-moved-to-ikon-park
The AFL will pay for temporary floodlights at the ground, as was the case in the All Stars exhibition match last year at Whitten Oval.

"We'll bring in lights that are broadcast quality at an expense to the competition, but it's an expense that backs up our broadcast support," he said.

"They will certainly be hired-in lights and we're looking to work with government and others in the years to come to try and make some community grounds better lit for broadcast."

Lethlean does not anticipate having to move any other matches. The Pies have another three matches scheduled for Olympic Park Oval, coming up against Melbourne, GWS and Adelaide.

"This (match) is our main concern at this stage, because it's the first game and it's two of the biggest clubs in Victoria. We don't expect any other capacity issues at any games but it's a flexible new competition. We can do what we need to do to maximise exposure and access," he said.

To be fair, when the scheduling was done they couldn't have known what the level of interest would be.
If the reverse had happened they'd be a laughing stock, wiser heads have prevailed and good on them.
TradeDraft maybe this could be put in your thoughts thread?

Re scheduling games at Vic Park, the Council get a lot - and I mean a lot - of opposition and grief from the local residents. They get complaints, phone calls, ward councillors get lobbied. Its a big step for them to quickly schedule a game there, and we would have had to notify them months ago if we wanted to play AFLW there.

That, plus bring in extra lights.

That, plus CFC wont make the same $$$ they were planning on getting from the game at Olympic Park.

To be fair, when the scheduling was done they couldn't have known what the level of interest would be.
If the reverse had happened they'd be a laughing stock, wiser heads have prevailed and good on them.
TradeDraft maybe this could be put in your thoughts thread?
There's some discussion in the women's preseason thread, but given the volume of discussion I'd suggest it might be better keeping this as a separate thread on the women's sub-board rather than merging it into TD's thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re scheduling games at Vic Park, the Council get a lot - and I mean a lot - of opposition and grief from the local residents. They get complaints, phone calls, ward councillors get lobbied. Its a big step for them to quickly schedule a game there, and we would have had to notify them months ago if we wanted to play AFLW there.

That, plus CFC wont make the same $$$ they were planning on getting from the game at Olympic Park.
Bloody Don Dunstan yuppies!

Just venting re: the bolded, I can partly understand the residents' point of view (Living in a busy area myself), however, I have heard stories of VP in its heyday. I know times have changed, but residents of Collingwood put up with 15k+ supporters every second week for over 100 years. AFLW isn't ticketed (atm) so if the comp grows as expected, Olympic Park will become less & less of a viable option for big drawing games, especially if the Carlton-Collingwood rivalry grows along with it. Hopefully there can be some sort of neutral ground to fall back on in future, but I would hope that this is the last time we give up a home game, especially to our closest rivals!

I know times have changed, but residents of Collingwood put up with 15k+ supporters every second week for over 100 years.

Problem is, that was 20 years ago. Many of the current residents bought into the area after league games ceased at the venue. They don't want them back.

Problem is, that was 20 years ago. Many of the current residents bought into the area after league games ceased at the venue. They don't want them back.
Probably Carlton supporters, the flogs.

My two cents... If it results in 20,30,50 extra people going to the game, I think it's worth it for the overall success of the game. The more people that go and make it a success, the better. I really don't think collingwood will be worrying too much about whether they sell a few hot dogs and beers for the first game or not. Considering all the games are free, profit is not the aim, I'd wager. Quibbling about a few dollars from food, not really the point IMHO. Also, let's be honest, that ground was not built with the intention of staging afl games there. I can't imagine the planning took the impending women's game into account when it was built.

When last in Melbourne went down to Vic Park and what looked like a under 15 's or so match was on a Sunday morning.

The womens footy would draw a much bigger crowd but i doubt more than 4,000 or so which is not a huge amount of people but enough for some good economic stimulus for the area.

Forkin pretentious w@nkers they are.

Collingwood should have said .... yep we will move it, on the condition if Vic Park is available next year or whenever we get your home game, Carlton will benefit because arguable for the first ever game the crowd will be bigger than the one next year or in the future.

But i guess the AFL just overrode all that.

I actully think the best groundtp watch the women's league will be whitten oval smaller more compact better atmosphere.......princess park will be too big

This makes me want to walk down Lulie street on a dark night with a bucket of rotting eggs

Conspiracy theory... the scheduling and moving of the game has been a charade to generate more press and anticipation for the launch of the women's league.

and lot of Ex-Blues at the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back