Review Elimination final: Collingwood v Western Bulldogs at Victoria Park, Sun. Nov 6th 3.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it will be a 2 goal win, but gee, facing Melbourne or Adelaide over there next week is daunting.

The system needs to change. We may have a good record against the Western Bulldogs, but Collingwood has been found out over the past few weeks. I hope either Ash Brazill or Ruby Schliecher returns to the backline because the Dogs have great contested hands up forward. Ellie Blackburn as usual is the most dangerous player, kicked two last week, Symonds needs a strategy to slow her down. Alice Edmonds is the undisputed Queen of the hit-outs, her only solid match up right now looks like Imogen Barnett (had a solid outing against Hickey last week).

Olivia Barber and Abbi Moloney need to return, Moloney has great record against the Dogs and we need Barber's height. There might be some tough calls going into this match, but if the coach continues to use fringe players, we could get exposed again.

Head-to-head history
As another pairing of inaugural AFLW teams, Collingwood has claimed victory in four of their five matches. Not only this, but the Pies have won their last three over the Bulldogs by an average of 31 points, the last two of which have been at their home of Victoria Park.

Last time they met
The only finals opponents yet to meet this season, Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs last played in round eight last season in what was ultimately a death knell for the Dogs' surge toward finals.

Set at Victoria Park, Collingwood piled on its highest ever score, and broke past the 60-point mark for the first time in its AFLW history, while the Dogs worked hard but an exhausting run of seven games in 30 days started to show.

Jaimee Lambert starred for Collingwood with 22 disposals and three goals, earning the three competition best and fairest votes, meanwhile Kirsty Lamb used her 21 disposals at 81 per cent efficiency as she willed her team on.

Key matchup
Hard nuts Ellie Blackburn and Lambert are likely going to be the main play makers out of the middle for each side, often doing the tough stuff that lifts their respective team. Both are not only strong in the contest, but know how to move into attack and hit the scoreboard in key moments - as Blackburn showed last week.

While they will not have direct roles on one another, Lambert will not be tasked with a tag on Blackburn or vice versa, but they will likely spend much of the game going head-to-head by virtue of their role within their side and assets they possess.

Both have the potential to shift momentum in the game toward their own side, and are very good at bringing teammates into the game, so will be important players in the clutches of an elimination final.

The state of play
While both Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs have qualified for finals, neither side has had the season it would have liked so far, and this is a final opportunity to stake their claim as one of the best teams in the competition.

The Pies' defensive line has been its strongest for several seasons now, setting up a strong wall and almost willing opponents to kick long toward interceptors like Stacey Livingstone and Lauren Butler. To combat this, the Dogs need to find speed out the back, and get it over the back of that Magpie wall to the advantage of players like Sarah Hartwig and Rylie Wilcox. That ground level speed is the Western Bulldogs' chance to catch Collingwood's backline off guard.

It will be similar for the Pies when going into attack. They have looked strongest when the likes of Chloe Molloy and Ruby Schleicher have burst out of stoppages and run the ball forward, rather than kicking long and high. Sabrina Frederick's contested marking is a huge asset, but against a Bulldogs defence that boasts Katie Lynch and Issy Grant, that aerial game does become harder to win.

Above from AFLW site.

Personally I think this will be very tough to win. Everyone will need to play at their very best and our forward line set up will be key.

Anyhow, I will be there... .

IN: Schleicher, Moloney, Downie

OUT: Smith, Porter, Membrey (omitted)

FBLauren BrazzaleStacey Livingstone
HBSophie CaseyLauren ButlerRuby Schleicher
CJoanna LinJordyn AllenSteph Chiocci
HFEliza JamesAishling SheridanAshleigh Brazill
FFTarni BrownSabrina Frederick
FOLImogen BarnettJaimee LambertChloe Molloy
INTMikala CannSarah RoweAbbi Moloney
INTSarah SansonettiAlison Downie
EMGOlivia BarberCharlotte TaylorEmily Smith

Three rucks is overkill, especially when Edmonds has been the best tap ruck in the competition all season. I think mitigating after the contest is a better strategy than throwing a bunch of players in there against her.

Moloney over Barber also interesting and not the move I’d have made.

Three rucks is overkill, especially when Edmonds has been the best tap ruck in the competition all season. I think mitigating after the contest is a better strategy than throwing a bunch of players in there against her.

Moloney and Barber over Frederick would've been my move

Definitely hoping this for next year

It's good to see Abbi Moloney back, if Schliecher plays in the backline that's a good move. I don't know why Jordan Allen is in the center of the ground, that's probably incorrect although that happens with line ups. You don't need three rucks, Downie is cooked. All this opportunity going to the veterans in our team is not helping us set up for the future.

Still haven't got my tickets.

No text message, and only can see order history in my account and money has been taken out. No bar code and can't download.

Tried to contact by phone, it refers one to their app or on-line.

It's only $22 but I am going to contact my credit card company to refund if they don't come through.

Oh and I am going to the game tomorrow and show them the email that states I bought tickets and let them work it out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still haven't got my tickets.

No text message, and only can see order history in my account and money has been taken out. No bar code and can't download.

Tried to contact by phone, it refers one to their app or on-line.

It's only $22 but I am going to contact my credit card company to refund if they don't come through.

Oh and I am going to the game tomorrow and show them the email that states I bought tickets and let them work it out.

I havent bought mine yet, but they can take a while to come through. Some havent arrived until a few hours before the game.

I havent bought mine yet, but they can take a while to come through. Some havent arrived until a few hours before the game.
I originally received an email saying that there was an issue with tickets and to click on the link which I did but haven't heard anything since.

Thanks for the info, will just wait and see I guess.

Damn shame you can't speak to anyone on phone though.

Hopefully see you there.

Is it 3 rucks? I'd have thought Downie the only real ruck included and good to get her back. Barnett and Frederick forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck. I'd have thought Frederick, Barnett and Braz all playing forward more an issue, but Membrey paid the price to allow that.

Downie’s only trick is her ruckwork but I would class all of Barnett, Frederick and Downie as rucks with the first two having the capability to go forward somewhat effectively.

I personally think Downie is the worst of that trio as a ruck too now. Evident last week when Barnett stood in and seemed to create the only area of improvement for us.

Downie’s only trick is her ruckwork but I would class all of Barnett, Frederick and Downie as rucks with the first two having the capability to go forward somewhat effectively.

I personally think Downie is the worst of that trio as a ruck too now. Evident last week when Barnett stood in and seemed to create the only area of improvement for us.
The truth is we have no real ruck. Not one that can compete with the elite class anyway. Downie continues to get eaten in the ruck hit-out, Frederick has good body positioning from the ball up but has no real jump, and Barnett has an incredible leap for only 176cm. Barney looks like our first choice for a ruck currently, but we need to go find a real ruck. Our ruck stocks have been atrocious for years. If we are to compete for a premiership in the future, we need a ruck that can feed the midfield. Hell, I'd offer Emma King first tier payment to return to the Black & White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back