2017 wooden spooners=Us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I couldn't really think of another thread to post this in so thought I'd start a new one, however, mods feel free to move elsewhere if you think of a suitable existing thread.

Looking like we'll be the clear worst team in the comp this year with no other competitors for the wooden spoon. Hawks have already shown against the Eagles and in the first half against the Demons today that they are capable of switching on some good performances. They'll probably finish the year with 6-7 wins. The Swans should still notch up 6-8 wins particularly when they get players like Rampe and Rohan back and fully fit. The Blues and Suns have already won 3 games each and look improved outfits compared to last year. The Bombers and Dockers have also won 3 each and one of them will have 4 wins after they play later today. Some predicted North to fall but they have won 2 games including a big win over premiership favourites the Crows and they have been competitive in all of their games.

So yeah it looks highly likely that we'll be the wooden spooners this year with zero competition.

Actually, I forgot a team. I said we'd have zero competition, however, the only team with even a slight chance of competing with us for 18th spot on the ladder would be the Magpies? They have already won 2 and randomly put in a good performance e.g. last week against the Cats so unlikely they finish below us but I suppose they are the only other team that could finish 18th.

Our draw for the rest of the year lionshine, can't see too many realistic chances of a win there unfortunately. Maybe round 11?

8 Saturday, May 13 Hawthorn University of Tasmania Away 1.45pm
9 Saturday, May 20 Adelaide Crows The Gabba Home 7.25pm
10 Sunday, May 28 Collingwood MCG Away 1.10pm
11 bye.

12 Saturday, June 10 Fremantle The Gabba Home 4.35pm
13 Saturday, June 17 Port Adelaide Adelaide Oval Away 4.05pm
14 Saturday, June 24 GWS GIANTS The Gabba Home 4.35pm
15 Sunday, July 2 Essendon Etihad Stadium Away 1.10pm
16 Saturday, July 8 Geelong Cats The Gabba Home 7.25pm
17 Sunday, July 16 Richmond Etihad Stadium Away 1.10pm
18 Sunday, July 23 Carlton The Gabba Home 4.40pm
19 Sunday, July 30 West Coast Eagles Domain Stadium Away 2.40pm
20 Saturday, August 5 Western Bulldogs The Gabba Home 4.35pm
21 Saturday, August 12 Gold Coast SUNS The Gabba Home 4.35pm
22 Sunday, August 20 Melbourne MCG Away 1.10pm
23 TBC North Melbourne The Gabba Home TBC

If I go through every side-

Crows- No chance.

Blues- As I said they look an improved side this year and already have 3 wins.

Magpies- Potentially could finish 18th particularly if they sack Bucks, cop a few injuries and it all goes to complete s**t. Already won an extra game than us though.

Bombers- Improved compared to last year with the return of their suspended players. Already have 3 wins and could have 4 come tonight.

Dockers- Much like the Bombers, added some quality, experienced players to their side this year which they were lacking last year. Again, like the Bombers they have 3 wins and could have 4 come tonight.

Cats- No chance.

Suns- Already have 3 wins, improved side compared to last year. Should finish on at least 8 wins I reckon.

GWS- No chance.

Hawks- Slight chance I suppose. Already have a win, are up by 5 goals at half time against the Demons as I speak and if they win today and beat us next week you'd think it'd be difficult for us to leapfrog them. They should bob up for at least 5-6 wins by the end of the year.

Demons- Nah.

Kangas- Pre-Season some were predicting the Roos to be a wooden spoon contender, however, they've proven the doubters wrong with a couple of good wins and they've been competitive all year.

Port- Likely to finish 6th-12th as much as we'd all love for them to finish 18th.

Tigers- I won't rule out their season turning to s**t but not to the point where they finish 18th.

Saints- Nah.

Swans- Once they regain Rampe and a few others they will have too many experienced, quality players to finish even bottom 4 let alone 18th. I can see them having a decent second half to the season and finishing 10th-13th.

Eagles- No chance.

Bulldogs- No chance.

We are comfortably the worst team in the Comp. Cannot see us winning more than 4 games under any circumstances.

Let's turn this into a Priority Pick thread.

If we didn't win a game for the rest of the season what would happen in that regard?

If we do finish bottom and get the #1 pick, assuming he's our primary target, how does that work with regards to Ballenden? Would we have to draft him at #1 or would the academy, points and Ports first pick cover that and we can go someone else.

If we do finish bottom and get the #1 pick, assuming he's our primary target, how does that work with regards to Ballenden? Would we have to draft him at #1 or would the academy, points and Ports first pick cover that and we can go someone else.

We can absolutely draft someone else at #1

We are comfortably the worst team in the Comp. Cannot see us winning more than 4 games under any circumstances.

Let's turn this into a Priority Pick thread.

If we didn't win a game for the rest of the season what would happen in that regard?
Coming into this season I sort of expected us to be the worst team in the competition although I hoped we'd show some improvement and thus see us finish above the likes of the Blues, Kangaroos, Hawks ect. however, it has only just dawned on me now, 7 rounds in that there are no other teams likely to finish 18th other than us. The teams that finished bottom 5 alongside us last year, the Bombers, Dockers, Suns and Blues have all improved and sit on 3 wins each whilst the Hawks, Swans and Kangaroos have dropped, however, the Kangaroos are playing some good footy and the Hawks and Swans should still have enough quality, experienced players to keep them away from 18th.

I don't know I suppose it is still earlyish in the season and perhaps I'm being a tad reactive here. Perhaps we'll improve in the second half of the season, string a few wins together and finish 14th-16th? I just can't see it at this stage though. Not so much that I can't see us improving and more so that all the other teams have improved and are playing better footy than we are.

Last edited:

The strategy would be, regardless of where we finish, to use our first pick on best available and then have enough points for the academy guys. No point in taking them first. May as well wait and match.

You never draft your own academy player/s with a live draft pick. You draft best available talent and wait for another team to bid on your academy player/s.

Ballenden will not be our primary target. Contested Midfielders, Outside Mid with serious pace and a two way small forward are our primary needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were always likely to finish last this season anyway with being the youngest squad by a long way combined with no real depth.
Yeah you're right. It hasn't dawned on me until this afternoon though. More so the fact that it is unlikely that any other side will finish last and hence we'll sort of finish last by default simply by being the only real young and poor side in the comp.

Yeah you're right. It hasn't dawned on me until this afternoon though. More so the fact that it is unlikely that any other side will finish last and hence we'll sort of finish last by default simply by being the only real young and poor side in the comp.

This isn't me having a go at you so don't take it that way, but I'm genuinely surprised it only dawned on you today that we would likely spoon. I expected coming into the season...on balance...that we would more than likely get the spoon (doesn't make the losses any more bearable mind you).

This isn't me having a go at you so don't take it that way, but I'm genuinely surprised it only dawned on you today that we would likely spoon. I expected coming into the season...on balance...that we would more than likely get the spoon (doesn't make the losses any more bearable mind you).
I should re-phrase that. It only dawned on me today that it is basically a forgone conclusion. I expected it coming into the season but didn't see it as a certainty. 7 rounds in and it looks like we are the only side that can realistically finish last.

Sigh.

It's really hard to envisage where our next win is coming from.

Hawks in Tas would have been a chance if they had got towelled today................... but they didn't so it's likely they'll be "up" next week at their happy hunting ground and be choc full of confidence,

More pain headed our way it seems:'(

Sigh.

It's really hard to envisage where our next win is coming from.

Hawks in Tas would have been a chance if they had got towelled today................... but they didn't so it's likely they'll be "up" next week at their happy hunting ground and be choc full of confidence,

More pain headed our way it seems:'(

It's a year we needed to have. We were glossing over with a customary 4-5 win season, our CEO turning a blind eye to our state in terms of infrastructure and player retention. #generallypleased

I'd be comfortable with taking more pain this season - pile on more losses, let Rockliff go in FA and Schache hopping off to Melbourne club. Hope someone in the HQ will finally sit up and take notice. It might give us that hard reset we have been asking for in the last 3 seasons - pick 1, pick 2 (rockliff), couple more for Schache, get Ballenden in.

I say we here to stay for the year now :( PP and tanking threads please start :)

This year was always going to either magic click year with 5-7 wins
Or a year where Fagan gets to see the players first hand then chops dead wood.
We could still get 4 maybe not sure how, although I expect us to be better in the second half and will take 1-2 wins no one saw coming.

I say we here to stay for the year now :( PP and tanking threads please start :)

This year was always going to either magic click year with 5-7 wins
Or a year where Fagan gets to see the players first hand then chops dead wood.
We could still get 4 maybe not sure how, although I expect us to be better in the second half and will take 1-2 wins no one saw coming.

Prior to the season starting, I thought that even though we would improve as a playing unit and possibly win 4-7 games that we would most likely finish bottom 2/last.
I still believe this to be the case. I'm still hoping that we get a few more wins, play our kids, improve our defense and still be able to get pick 1 or 2. Added with picks (PA 1st) and 19/20, as well as a free agent that suits our needs and we should be set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back