Game Day 2018 AFL Draft - Live Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Great draft...but we are one developing KPD short I reckon.

Young Cox may have to put aside his preference for being a forward.
Dixon, Cox, Logue and Kersten can all play forward or back - can see them all spending time down back at Peel at times. Along with Hamling and Pearce I think that's enough to work with. And Hughes generally does quite well defending against KPFs as well. Haven't seen enough of Watson to know if he can.

I went back and forth on how to word a response. Nothing to do with size or ability, there is a definite leaning towards players who the club believe can improve the overall workplace environment (some would say culture).

One of the most attractive features for the draft team is personality (including family background and support) , it's no secret that given players of similar ability, a club will always choose the "model citizen", that's not to say that Hill wasn't, he just wasn't as highly regarded as the guys we took.

Not sure I articulated that particularly well but there has been a shift towards improving the club off the field.
Isn't this a knock on BHill, who he almost certainly would have lived with? The upside of training and playing without injury plus X factor as well as the "thrill of hills" should have been enough in my books.

Isn't this a knock on BHill, who he almost certainly would have lived with? The upside of training and playing without injury plus X factor as well as the "thrill of hills" should have been enough in my books.
I don't think it helped, maybe if it was Stephen he got close to rather than Brad.

Yep with d.pearce, Johnson, Spurr, Sheridan, Sutcliffe and grey gone that is a lot of experience and leadership. I think it was important to get very good citizens for this year and next. Ballas, Mundy and sandi will be gone soon and don’t want to turn into a Gold Coast type culture

Jordan Clark was our number one target on draft night, and Ian Hill was never a chance with either of our first two picks even if he was available.

Thanks for that. I assumed we would have taken Clark had he been available but equally excited about Sturt. Clark does show some great leadership traits though.

Did we have a target for our second pick or was Valente it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I assumed we would have taken Clark had he been available but equally excited about Sturt. Clark does show some great leadership traits though.

Did we have a target for our second pick or was Valente it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know who our preferred second choice was, I am just aware that Hill wasn't regarded as among the top 30 or 40.

I don't think it helped, maybe if it was Stephen he got close to rather than Brad.
Still not sure if BHill deserves the slapdown though? And we took Hogan who's had many allegations questioning his "model citizenship". I've mentioned it before because I think if the club were really serious about this they should go down the Integrity Officer path.

Still not sure if BHill deserves the slapdown though? And we took Hogan who's had many allegations questioning his "model citizenship". I've mentioned it before because I think if the club were really serious about this they should go down the Integrity Officer path.
Are they the guys that go around assaulting camera people?

I went back and forth on how to word a response. Nothing to do with size or ability, there is a definite leaning towards players who the club believe can improve the overall workplace environment (some would say culture).

One of the most attractive features for the draft team is personality (including family background and support) , it's no secret that given players of similar ability, a club will always choose the "model citizen", that's not to say that Hill wasn't, he just wasn't as highly regarded as the guys we took.

Not sure I articulated that particularly well but there has been a shift towards improving the club off the field.
What did you think of our draft overall?

In the trade period we pretty much got our targets and at great value, plus positioned ourselves well for picks. We have a clear strategy of looking at more mature players with later picks and seem to have done well, especially with targeting players who can improve our weak areas sooner rather than later.

None of our last 3 (including Watson) seem to have been mentioned very much in the lead up to the draft, so it feels a little left field, but is perhaps more a reflection of our draft scouts in action, quietly going about their business.

Dixon, Cox, Logue and Kersten can all play forward or back - can see them all spending time down back at Peel at times. Along with Hamling and Pearce I think that's enough to work with. And Hughes generally does quite well defending against KPFs as well. Haven't seen enough of Watson to know if he can.
Sturt can play forward or open the batting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did you think of our draft overall?

In the trade period we pretty much got our targets and at great value, plus positioned ourselves well for picks. We have a clear strategy of looking at more mature players with later picks and seem to have done well, especially with targeting players who can improve our weak areas sooner rather than later.

None of our last 3 (including Watson) seem to have been mentioned very much in the lead up to the draft, so it feels a little left field, but is perhaps more a reflection of our draft scouts in action, quietly going about their business.
I loved it, we addressed many needs and although I was initially surprised by our choice of Schulz and Bewley, I am really excited to see how they track in particular. I think we will see most of our draftees debut next year.

I am disappointed not to see O'Reilly or Lewis on our list though.

Peel games will be far more interesting to watch in 2019 with our talent all over the ground.

My son has just finished his VCE exams & is saving for his gap year travels by working.
He worked in Echuca for a week & on Friday, while on his lunch break, overheard a guy on his phone saying excitedly, yeah, he has just been drafted by Freo.
Junior waited until he was finished talking, and he asked about who had been drafted.
My boy met Lachie Schultz's dad, said congrats from a Freo fan & probably spun the bloke out as it's doubtful there were many Freo fans at that Echuca cafe.

Hello again all - did the stupid and spilled water on the laptop an hence not been here two weeks .... pretty happy with our draft selections and particularly Valente (Joel Selwood type) and Bewly (lot like Chapman). Schultz should be okay for us and Watson will need time to develop further I suggest.

Was an interesting call to take Sturt (a project player according to Bell) but no doubt the upside is enormous - the guy has big mits and can kick long and straight as well as reading and swooping on the loose ball. What I particularly like in Freo selecting him is that he will be a genuine outside fifty goalkicker, something we really need in terms of multiple avenues to goal.

Hello again all - did the stupid and spilled water on the laptop an hence not been here two weeks .... pretty happy with our draft selections and particularly Valente (Joel Selwood type) and Bewly (lot like Chapman). Schultz should be okay for us and Watson will need time to develop further I suggest.

Was an interesting call to take Sturt (a project player according to Bell) but no doubt the upside is enormous - the guy has big mits and can kick long and straight as well as reading and swooping on the loose ball. What I particularly like in Freo selecting him is that he will be a genuine outside fifty goalkicker, something we really need in terms of multiple avenues to goal.
I think that is Bewley's go as well. In fact I can feel a chant coming on as he bounces towards goal and launches "Beeeeuteeeeeeeey".

Bucky’s Take in today’s HS

FREMANTLE
DRAFT PICKS

17. Sam Sturt: Forward, 189cm, 74kg, Dandenong Stingrays

32. Luke Valente: Midfielder, 187cm, 82kg, Norwood

57. Lachlan Schultz: Midfielder, 180cm, 80kg, Williamstown

59. Brett Bewley: Midfielder, 186cm, 85kg, Williamstown

ROOKIES

5. Ethan Hughes: Re-listed

22. Tobe Watson: Defender, 189cm, 82kg, Swan Districts

37. Ryan Nyhuis: Re-listed

Buckenara says: Sturt is a very good pick-up. Fremantle transformed its forward line by securing Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb during the trade period and Sturt will develop into a nice third tall who can push up the ground because of his all-round athleticism and pace. Valente at pick No.32 is a bit of a steal. He was one of the sliders — I had him ranked at 21 — so to get him there is a fantastic result. He’s got genuine leadership potential and can play both inside and outside and has good kicking skills. Fremantle has a history of plucking good role players out of the VFL and they’ve done it again with Lachlan Schultz and Brett Bewley from Williamstown who’ll come in and add instant depth. I’m sure Ross Lyon has a role in mind for both of them.

Buckenara’s verdict: I like what Fremantle has done. They were one of the better performers of the trade period and have backed that up by drafting both for the future and for need/depth. Don’t be surprised to see Fremantle rise up the ladder quickly next year.

A few tired looking faces but they're here. Good to see Lobb being a regular at all these catch ups - good signs.

Fyfe has two toes taped up. Panic!!!!!! ;)

My son has just finished his VCE exams & is saving for his gap year travels by working.
He worked in Echuca for a week & on Friday, while on his lunch break, overheard a guy on his phone saying excitedly, yeah, he has just been drafted by Freo.
Junior waited until he was finished talking, and he asked about who had been drafted.
My boy met Lachie Schultz's dad, said congrats from a Freo fan & probably spun the bloke out as it's doubtful there were many Freo fans at that Echuca cafe.
great story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back