2018 - AFLX

Remove this Banner Ad

What I don't understand is why these "experts" think that something can only be entertaining if it is high scoring? As if that should be the #1 priority.

Soccer is the most watched sport in the world and it is certainly not high scoring. Cricket is number #2 and the best games are rarely when one team dominates the scoreboard. #3 is field hockey which like soccer there generally aren't many goals, and #4 is tennis and does anyone really enjoy watching the no 1 seed smash some 18yo up and comer?

The only time I ever hear people going crazy about how good watching a sport was, was when it was a massive battle. When soccer and hockey was so close it went into more than one overtime or penalty shootout. When tennis lasted well into the early hours of the morning as neither player could break the deadlock. High scoring games like basketball, netball etc are no different imo. I find games where one team smashes the other pretty darn boring personally.

With AFLX they have completely taken away the battle by making it almost completely uncontested. And I kind of feel a lot of the recent AFL rule changes have been about increasing scoring by encouraging more uncontested outside play. And sure, I love watching a player burn down the wing for the length of the field to kick a goal as well. But if you make it a game of predominantly 'keepy off' it becomes bloody boring overall. Contested football is the life blood of footy. Goals are great, but only when they are hard earned.

I'm all for trialling a new format (although I do think it was the wrong timing given AFLW). If it means you don't need 44+ players and a big oval to have a game of footy that's great for international/regional areas/social sport. But if you are going to do it don't take away the parts that make footy great. I'd go back to the drawing board and start all over with it personally. Start by chucking out all the ridiculous 1990s circus promo gunk - the game itself needs to be the hero to start with.

What I don't understand is why these "experts" think that something can only be entertaining if it is high scoring? As if that should be the #1 priority.

Soccer is the most watched sport in the world and it is certainly not high scoring. Cricket is number #2 and the best games are rarely when one team dominates the scoreboard. #3 is field hockey which like soccer there generally aren't many goals, and #4 is tennis and does anyone really enjoy watching the no 1 seed smash some 18yo up and comer?

The only time I ever hear people going crazy about how good watching a sport was, was when it was a massive battle. When soccer and hockey was so close it went into more than one overtime or penalty shootout. When tennis lasted well into the early hours of the morning as neither player could break the deadlock. High scoring games like basketball, netball etc are no different imo. I find games where one team smashes the other pretty darn boring personally.

With AFLX they have completely taken away the battle by making it almost completely uncontested. And I kind of feel a lot of the recent AFL rule changes have been about increasing scoring by encouraging more uncontested outside play. And sure, I love watching a player burn down the wing for the length of the field to kick a goal as well. But if you make it a game of predominantly 'keepy off' it becomes bloody boring overall. Contested football is the life blood of footy. Goals are great, but only when they are hard earned.

I'm all for trialling a new format (although I do think it was the wrong timing given AFLW). If it means you don't need 44+ players and a big oval to have a game of footy that's great for international/regional areas/social sport. But if you are going to do it don't take away the parts that make footy great. I'd go back to the drawing board and start all over with it personally. Start by chucking out all the ridiculous 1990s circus promo gunk - the game itself needs to be the hero to start with.

It was basically created because Rugby 7's became a massive international success and they think AFL can be translated in a similar way. Rugby 7's and Rugby are two very different and very enjoyable sports, and 7's exists completely independent of Rugby without taking any of the talent from it.

I think they they are trying to create a new sport instead of removing anything from the old one, and am willing to give it a go once they iron out the kinks.

But get rid of the Zooper Doopers for *s sake for a start. 7's isn't aimed at kids, if they want it to be played in Hong Kong then AFLX shouldn't be either

But get rid of the Zooper Doopers for ****s sake for a start. 7's isn't aimed at kids, if they want it to be played in Hong Kong then AFLX shouldn't be either

Zooper Dooper are a major sponsor of Big Bash Cricket and Money talks...

The elite version of this game is a series of kick outs and possession chains until a shot on goal, the team that kicks accurately wins.

Basketball
When people say this it shows they know little to nothing about basketball. Netball would be closer to what you are suggesting and even that has high pressured defensive units when played well. As mentioned above, games that are just high scoring or are thrashings become meaningless. It is why so many people find watching GSW play boring since they added Durant in free agency. Take a look at the 15/16 NBA finals to see an absolute war of a series. Full of technical and tactical adjustments made from 1/4 to 1/4. Then individual brilliance added, the most famous of which was a chase down defensive play that helped secure a championship.

In fact that highlight (defensive) is seen as the top play, and was voted that way by one of the best players to ever play the game, who has no shortage of highlight reel attacking plays.

People used to complain about 20/20 being to batting orientated. The game has developed to the point where it's arguable that top line defensive bowlers impact the game as much as the best batsmen. Any sport that doesn't have a struggle between the two becomes boring. The tension, tactics and battle is what enthrals us.

When people say this it shows they know little to nothing about basketball. Netball would be closer to what you are suggesting and even that has high pressured defensive units when played well. As mentioned above, games that are just high scoring or are thrashings become meaningless. It is why so many people find watching GSW play boring since they added Durant in free agency. Take a look at the 15/16 NBA finals to see an absolute war of a series. Full of technical and tactical adjustments made from 1/4 to 1/4. Then individual brilliance added, the most famous of which was a chase down defensive play that helped secure a championship.

In fact that highlight (defensive) is seen as the top play, and was voted that way by one of the best players to ever play the game, who has no shortage of highlight reel attacking plays.

People used to complain about 20/20 being to batting orientated. The game has developed to the point where it's arguable that top line defensive bowlers impact the game as much as the best batsmen. Any sport that doesn't have a struggle between the two becomes boring. The tension, tactics and battle is what enthrals us.
I don't claim to know the little nuances of basketball, all I see is a team who get the ball, run it to the other side and take a shot, then the other team get a turn and the side who missed less wins.

Instantly surrendering 2/3s of the court after a turnover.

The elite version of this game is a series of kick outs and possession chains until a shot on goal, the team that kicks accurately wins.

Basketball
Load the team with a primary ball handler and surround him with runners who can defend and hit zoopers, set them outside the 40 at regular spacings and maybe have 1 player who can play deep to keep the defense honest. Really push the tempo and aim for a shot at a zooper every 10-15 seconds or so

D'antoni style

Here is the full Port Freo match, couldn't find the other Freo game, hoping the club will upload soon.

Btw popped in here to say that I was sitting behind Stefan Giro's family/friends at the game. When he kicked that first goal they went absolutely nuts, all decked out in club gear. On the replay you can see Giro gets a kick out of the reaction too.

Might have been my highlight of the night. Looks a player for sure.

Looks like the video has been removed by both Port and Crows (the only uploaders). Isn't it ******* terrible that the AFL won't even let their own clubs promote the ******* s**t show that is AFLX?

Footy goal posts are in short supply on hockey/soccer and other grounds. This is a glaring mistake, if they want this to go global, the ball either has to go into a net and/or over it. But then the uproar for this launch in Australia would have been fearsome. In trying to have their cake and eat it, they are hamstringing the end objective - export of the game.

If the game of AFL is great, just play it - but adjusted to the size of the ground (which necessitates some changes), don't stuff with the rules unnecessarily. The big WOW in AFL is the cliffhanging marks - they will be few in this format. Also the bone jarring, high speed tackles - will be almost non existant. Sure, higher scoring than the snooze fest of soccer, but that is about the only thing it achieves in the format that they've set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't claim to know the little nuances of basketball, all I see is a team who get the ball, run it to the other side and take a shot, then the other team get a turn and the side who missed less wins.

Instantly surrendering 2/3s of the court after a turnover.
You are right in my opinion as someone who loves the NBA.

NBA is a 'non-contact' sport so by extension the team that misses more generally loses, this was amplified in the 90s with restrictions on teams cramming the paint and hand checking, and in the 2000s when they changed the rules when the pistons won a ring with a super antisocial defensive style.

It is also a top end talent driven sport, unlike soccer or afl where you are kind of only as good as your worst player, a star in the nba can go 'coast to coast' solo fairly regularly where in afl or soccer its super rare for even the messi's or abbletts to go coast to coast.

I think this may happen as the AFLX matures, x factor and speed will be pressure and defense, and the cream will rise to the top if the teams ever take it serious.

So, this game is even worse live...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ew you actually went to the game? If it was free I would've thought about it, but it's a bit insulting they'll make us pay for this, but not the women's who could do with some gate takings to pay them more.

Ew you actually went to the game? If it was free I would've thought about it, but it's a bit insulting they'll make us pay for this, but not the women's who could do with some gate takings to pay them more.
I needed my fix, however bad the product may be - Whitten didn't scratch the itch, this hasn't either.

AFLW is only ever going to really flourish in a professional, full-time environment (as the men's league does). Whether it's through gate-takings, TV rights and/or direct league subsidisation, they've got to find a way to let the women focus on their footy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

All the BF Saints supporters are now feeling vindicated after the rest of us said "they'd never make finals this decade".

edit - or not... :) classic

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back