Certified Legendary Thread 2018 Grand Final : West Coast v Collingwood - Wooden Spooners to win Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me set the scene

Few beers in
Kids in bed
Wife going out to the movies

You campaigners know what happens

Your missus is going swimming after the movies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the finest AFL moments of the decade. Most GFs since 2012 were a bore so Sheed's winner will live long in the memories of even non-West Coast fans. For that I am forever grateful.

Can't wait until we're in the grand final again, vs the Tazzy team in 2021.

Looking forward to the head to head battle between Luke Shuey and Mitch O'Neill.

Best Grand Final of the decade, hands down. It had everything you'd see in a cheesy Hollywood sports movie from the 90s:

* The down-and-out team nobody expected anything from all year vs the traditional darling of the AFL who were anticipated to make the GF all year

* The underdogs get blitzed in the opening term, then lead a spirited fightback to level the scores going into the final quarter

* Old stalwarts (eg: Schofield, Vardy) who many would say the game had passed by end up using their experience to overcome flashier/ better opponents on the day

* "The Passage of Play"

* Dom Sheed, the maligned player who shouldn't even have been out there that day, becomes the unlikeliest of heroes

If someone made a movie about it today it would be criticised into the ground as being an unrealistic and sappy Hallmark-esque piece like Mighty Ducks or Cool Runnings. Sometimes life truly is stranger than fiction.

If someone made a movie about it today it would be criticised into the ground as being an unrealistic and sappy Hallmark-esque piece like Mighty Ducks or Cool Runnings. Sometimes life truly is stranger than fiction.
Speaking of Mighty Ducks, I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. It was great to see such a minnow underdog like the USA stand up to the might of such a powerful nation as Iceland. Those bullies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back