Opinion 2018 Player Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's important. It takes me back... schooldays when kids would wear their duffel coats to school with their favourite players' numbers stitched on them... going to games with all the fans supporting their favourites through the numbers on their jumpers... numbers made special by special players... legendary player names on club lockers, showing the unique history behind each number, etc.
Numbers take on a special significance in our game.
Can you imagine being an 18yo player, going to your new locker with your new number on it, and seeing the names of 100+ game players who have worn your number with distinction over the past 100-odd years? How lucky and how proud would you feel to be wearing that number?

It's a characteristic of footy where the number actually becomes part of a player's identity and persona rather than simply indicating their position in the team as in other codes.
Really well put and it's funny now that I think about it how much Kouta's number 43 influenced my life!

Thanks Aph - 3 years of massive list changes and I am struggling when the kids ask who is number x - couldn't stand it if we had trades throughout the year like the NBA - wouldn't be able to keep up
That's the beauty of algebra. x is a variable and can take on any value (insert player name)!

It's a characteristic of footy where the number actually becomes part of a player's identity and persona rather than simply indicating their position in the team as in other codes.

Huh? What codes use jersey numbers as anything other than an identifier?

I'd also argue numbers probably have more reverence in NFL and NBA. Certainly not an AFL exclusive thing.

I'd also argue numbers probably have more reverence in NFL and NBA. Certainly not an AFL exclusive thing.
Both rugby and League use the number to identify position. Frustratingly, when League offshoot from Rugby they decided to adopt a system that was the opposite with the fullback wearing 1.

Rugby:
upload_2017-12-15_12-25-22.png

League:
upload_2017-12-15_12-27-15.png

NFL has number ranges for certain positions due to the squad size and there's a few other ones like NHL starting goalkeepers usually wearing #1.

Some more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_(sports)

Both rugby and League use the number to identify position. Frustratingly, when League offshoot from Rugby they decided to adopt a system that was the opposite with the fullback wearing 1.

Rugby:
View attachment 445124

League:
View attachment 445126

NFL has number ranges for certain positions due to the squad size and there's a few other ones like NHL starting goalkeepers usually wearing #1.

Some more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_(sports)
Soccer

Okay sure, I was probably referring to codes played in Australia. Sorry, I don't pay a lot of attention to American codes. In soccer and rugby, your number is positional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back