List Mgmt. 2018 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - The Early Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't trade a player to another club unless he agrees so in your scenario above that isn't possible

Which remains the biggest flaw in AFL free agency. You can't give the players what amounts to free agency - its creeping closer each year to a form of genuine free agency - and then restrict the ability of clubs to trade them.

If you want free agency, even as restricted as it currently is, then clubs have to have greater power to trade contracted players.

Tom Browne on TF reckons Lobb will go to freo next year.
Lobb still interests me to pair up with Vardy next year, I know he's not the worlds best ruckman but if he can take say 40% of the ruck contests I think he offers more up forward than either of our current playing rucks. His genuine size makes our bomb it long and high into the forward line gameplan that we seem to revert to more feasible. I wonder what it would take to pry him away from GWS?

Lobb still interests me to pair up with Vardy next year, I know he's not the worlds best ruckman but if he can take say 40% of the ruck contests I think he offers more up forward than either of our current playing rucks. His genuine size makes our bomb it long and high into the forward line gameplan that we seem to revert to more feasible. I wonder what it would take to pry him away from GWS?
Agree with everything. Plus a change of scenery in a more balanced forward line could see him playing his best footy. He was the best one of the better contested marks going around few years ago and that would be an asset for us around the HFF/Wing or during kick ins. It would also allow JK and Jack to play closer to goal.

Agree with everything. Plus a change of scenery in a more balanced forward line could see him playing his best footy. He was the best one of the better contested marks going around few years ago and that would be an asset for us around the HFF/Wing or during kick ins. It would also allow JK and Jack to play closer to goal.
I reckon GWS will want a first rounder and a young player back though, especially seeing as he's contracted for next year.

I reckon GWS will want a first rounder and a young player back though, especially seeing as he's contracted for next year.
Maybe Lycetts comp (if get a high pick) plus the suns second round pick for lobb and a third rounder.

From the snippet i saw, it seems like they want to free up a bit of cap space for Shiel.

What actually would be the point of getting Lobb if Lycett goes unless he can play #1 ruck?

Forward line can't fit Allen and Brander in as it is. You're just adding to the surplus, for what... 40% ruck time? Nah brah. No deal Andrew.

Already got Vardy playing that role reasonably well right now. If Lycett leaves I'd like an actual competent first ruckman to replace him, not a hamster. That's most definitely Preuss for mine or Zacky Clarke if were going to be real crazy.

Lobb just wouldn't be a suitable acquisition to compliment how this team is made up right now IMO. Despite the fact I think he's a decent player.

Which remains the biggest flaw in AFL free agency. You can't give the players what amounts to free agency - its creeping closer each year to a form of genuine free agency - and then restrict the ability of clubs to trade them.

If you want free agency, even as restricted as it currently is, then clubs have to have greater power to trade contracted players.
Yep. There has to be a point where clubs have some control over where a player goes so they can get proper value in trades

It should start with situations like Mitch McGovern where a contracted player wants out - provided the new club offers the same or better conditions as the existing contract the crows should be able to trade McGovern to the club that offers the best trade

What actually would be the point of getting Lobb if Lycett goes unless he can play #1 ruck?

Forward line can't fit Allen and Brander in as it is. You're just adding to the surplus, for what... 40% ruck time? Nah brah. No deal Andrew.

Already got Vardy playing that role reasonably well right now. If Lycett leaves I'd like an actual competent first ruckman to replace him, not a hamster. That's most definitely Preuss for mine or Zacky Clarke if were going to be real crazy.

Lobb just wouldn't be a suitable acquisition to compliment how this team is made up right now IMO. Despite the fact I think he's a decent player.
If we get a #1 ruck then we can't keep playing Vardy in the team as well imo, we need to go to 1 ruckman in the 22. I'm fine with going with Preuss if we go with one ruck but if we keep playing two ruckmen then Lobb would basically play Lycett's role from the last couple of weeks but offers a better contested marking target. Lycett's basically done nothing in the ruck for the last few weeks really, so not losing much there by playing Lobb in his place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stick with Vardy and ask Brander to pinch hit or get Darling, Yeo, Waterman etc to do a Grigg.
If Vardy was more of a number 1 ruck I'd agree with you, I don't think he is though.
If we get someone like Preuss who can go 80% of the game in the ruck then yeah but I just can't see it working with Vardy.
Nankervis for instance plays over 80% of the game and I reckon the majority of that is in the ruck.

Im not suggesting putting McGovern in the ruck, He used to ruck at Claremont and that foxtel cup series he dominated for Claremont as a ruck rover , he was a rookie on our list and It was perplexing he wasnt elevated. What about Barrass, can clearly take a grab turn him into a Ruck Rover , Brander or Oscar can defend. Or even Barrass drop back as a defensive Ruckman.

Assuming we lose Lycett what would you do ruck wise? I'm in two minds, it's a shame one of our young forwards isn't a 198cm+ type who can pinch hit.

Lets just see what Patrick Bines can do 198 and 98 kg...... he may surprise.

If Vardy was more of a number 1 ruck I'd agree with you, I don't think he is though.
If we get someone like Preuss who can go 80% of the game in the ruck then yeah but I just can't see it working with Vardy.
Nankervis for instance plays over 80% of the game and I reckon the majority of that is in the ruck.
I dunno, I reckon we could make it work. Vardy can get his tank up there. I’d like to see the data on how much time he rucked last year, and whether he Petrie relieved him out of necessity or because they rated Petrie’s defensive pressure in tight

McInnes.jpg
sad-andre-johnson-GIF-source.gif

Vardy is now a better ruckman than Lycett.

Much more physical in the contest and he is more aggressive in general play..... Jar Head ... is shaping up as a very good pick up.

Vardy also has a knack of making things happen when needed.

We just need to get a back up for him, then we can take the band 2 compo for Lycett and move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back