Grand Slam 2018 US Open - The last GS with 32 seeds

Remove this Banner Ad

You think he'll beat fed in the 3rd round?

The us open is always the slam I watch/follow the least. Horrible timezone for us.
I missed your post above. Yet I thought Roobs321 had Federer-Nadal playing 1st , had to go back and read it 3 times.

I think he is good enough and I say this more and more but if he is ever going to take a scalp and start believing then this has to be it. The timezone helps Nick because the news is going to be that far behind.

Nadal would be my favourite as well (especially when you consider the early-ish meeting of Fed-Djoker), although he has never defended a USO title.

The 2nd week USO coverage was really good last year, hopefully more of the same. The glory-hunting on-court interviewer is the only thing I'm not a fan of, hated watching him vomit stats all over a disinterested Venus.

Nadal would be my favourite as well (especially when you consider the early-ish meeting of Fed-Djoker), although he has never defended a USO title.

The 2nd week USO coverage was really good last year, hopefully more of the same. The glory-hunting on-court interviewer is the only thing I'm not a fan of, hated watching him vomit stats all over a disinterested Venus.
He’s actually never defended a hard court title full stop, but it could definitely change here. I think he’d be feeling as good as he did in 2013 coming in. 40-3 W/L record for the year as someone pointed out earlier, and a good draw. It’s all there for him.

Why have they only scheduled two matches for the day session on Ashe for Days 1 & 2? I thought it was always three?
Can see this happening at the aus open as well soon enough. My prediction is that rla, mca and hisense will all be full reserved seating. In order to spread the better players and sell the reserved seats on all courts, they'll schedule 2 singles matches for day sessions and 2 for night sessions.

Awesome result for Jason Kubler this morning, getting his first slam win after everything he has been through.

Barty has won comfortably this morning

Halep is like the most inconsistent World Number 1 in so long.

Kerber at least was consistently awful in 2017.

Good win for Stan and Muzz. Amazing win for Kubler to knock off a solid hard court player.

Also sad to see Muller finished his career with a loss in the 1st round.

Wow Harrison took a set off Anderson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awww Felix is out.

Poor DOnald Young.

Anyway reckon this Ferrer v. Nadal match will have 2 tight sets and 1 runaway one.

Day 1

Seeds Through

(1) Rafael Nadal - Beat Ferrer
(3) Juan Martin del Potro - Beat Young
(3) Sloane Stephens - Beat Rodina
(5) Kevin Anderson - Beat Harrison
(7) Elina Svitolina - Beat Vickery
(8) Karolina Pliskova - Beat Diyas
(9) Dominic Thiem - Beat Basic
(9) Julia Goerges - Beat Kalinskaya
(11) John Isner - Beat Klahn
(12) Garbine Muguruza - Beat Zhang
(15) Stefanos Tsitsipas - BeatRTobredo
(15) Elise Mertens - Beat Nara
(16) Venus Williams - Beat Kuznetsova
(17) Serena Williams - Beat Linette
(18) Jack Sock - Beat Andreozzi
(18) Ashleigh Barty - Beat Jabeur
(19) Anastasija Sevastova - Beat Vekic
(20) Borna Corci - Beat Mayer
(23) Barbora Strycova - Beat Lao
(25) Milos Raonic - Beat Berlocq
(25) Daria Gavrilova - Beat Sorribes Tormo
(27) Karen Khachanov - Beat Ramos
(28) Denis Shapovalov - Beat Auger-Aliassime
(31) Fernando Verdasco - Beat Lopez
(32) Maria Sakkari - Beat Muhammad

Seeds Out

(1) Simona Halep - lost to Kanepi - 8061 - Defending 10 - Loses 0 - 8061
(8) Grigor Dimitrov - lost to Wawrinka - 3790 - Defending 45 - Loses 35 - 3755
(16) Kyle Edmund - lost to Lorenzi - 1935 - Defending 90 - Loses 80 - 1855
(19) Roberto Bautista Agut - lost to Kubler - 1650 - Defending 90 - Loses 80 - 1570
(24) Damir Dzumhur - lost to Lajovic - 1475 - Defending 90 - Loses 80 - 1395
(27) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova - lost to Peterson - 1585 - Defending 10 - Loses 0 - 1585
(31) Magdalena Rybarikova - lost to Wang - 1540 - Defending 130 - Loses 120 - 1420

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Wawrinka goes deep into the second week (without looking at his draw, I assume its opened up a bit now).

Sad that Ferrer had to retire in his final slam match, but like when he sent Hewitt out, glad that it was such an occasion with his most identifiable competitor and compatriot. Thanks for the memories David, you've been my fave player all decade, virtually since Davydenko's choke at the 2010 AO.

Great win for Kubler to get past RBA.

Wawrinka has a history of indifferent form turning into slams, but he has had a few better weeks of late. Still, I don't think he has the matches under his belt to go too deep, he'll trip up against a form opponent.

Good wins for Wozniacki, Kerber, Osaka, Garcia, and Kvitova

Millman got in the wins which is awesome.

No real upsets except Vandeweghe

No real upsets except Vandeweghe
Will have a big drop in the rankings to around 50 as she was defending semi final points. Just wonder how fit she actually was.

Buzărnescu a late out but no real surprise there.
In the mens first round matches, five retirements during the match so far. One other was a late out.

Querrey and Rublev will lose a fair chunk of points (not surprising given their form/fitness though).

Baghdatis won the first 2 sets 6-4 6-4 against Youzhny, might be Mikhail's last slam set.

Benneteau took out Cecchinato in 4, lives to fight another day against Struff.

Fairly happy with most of the women's wins in R1, should be a reasonable tournament. Few of the oldies in action later this morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back