AFLW 2019 AFLW Grand Final: Adelaide vs Carlton, Sun Mar 31, 12.30pm ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Adelaide. Worthy winners in an enjoyable AFLW season. Can see them dominating for a few seasons, at least until Port join the league.

I hope Erin recovers to play again next season, she is a great to watch. I have no doubt they will be naming the league B&F award after she wins it again this season, she is easily the league's best player.

Heartbreaking watching Phillips go down, but the footage as she goes off the ground should be standard viewing for all kids playing sport about what outstanding sportsmanship is all about.

Sam lane obsessing on the crowd numbers. We get it, brilliant turn out, great crowd. Shut up.

Nah that's totally understandable. It's a huge big deal, the women often play to 2 or 3 thousand, to get 53000 is a massive landmark day in their sport. It shows people do like it and want it. No-one will treat it as a joke anymore.

Nah that's totally understandable. It's a huge big deal, the women often play to 2 or 3 thousand, to get 53000 is a massive landmark day in their sport. It shows people do like it and want it. No-one will treat it as a joke anymore.
I understand all you're saying. But she mentioned it multiple times, once or twice, fair enough, every time they cross to her ? No.

She's that far ahead of every other player in the comp that they could cut her leg off and she'd still probably be in the top 50%. Just a freak of an athlete.
Ellyse Perry and Erin Phillips are phenomenal athletes and role models, both who excelled at more than one sport.

I hope that they and generations of women to come can be suitably recompensed for their efforts.

Congratulations to Adelaide. Worthy winners in an enjoyable AFLW season. Can see them dominating for a few seasons, at least until Port join the league.

I hope Erin recovers to play again next season, she is a great to watch. I have no doubt they will be naming the league B&F award after she wins it again this season, she is easily the league's best player.

Port is highly unlikely to have a women's team. I don't get where this continual talk of them having one is from. They can't attract sponsors for their men's team and they have issues in making a profit. They will only get a women's team if they have someone else pay for it all. They had a women's team in the SAWFL and they were banned from competing for a season because they couldn't pay the association fee. Port tried the feel could PR support of them to the public but realistically there wasn't really true support as they didn't want to do the work. That team is no longer Port Adelaide but has merged with North Haven for this upcoming season. They also don't have a team in the SANFWL comp.

Port is highly unlikely to have a women's team. I don't get where this continual talk of them having one is from. They can't attract sponsors for their men's team and they have issues in making a profit. They will only get a women's team if they have someone else pay for it all. They had a women's team in the SAWFL and they were banned from competing for a season because they couldn't pay the association fee. Port tried the feel could PR support of them to the public but realistically there wasn't really true support as they didn't want to do the work. That team is no longer Port Adelaide but has merged with North Haven for this upcoming season. They also don't have a team in the SANFWL comp.
Recent talk has been generated by Port Adelaide. If they're serious about having an AFLW team, it'll just be a matter of when not if. I haven't seen anybody argue it should be tomorrow, but a lot of progress can be achieved in the next 3-4 years with full commitment. If it wasn't already a no-brainer, it certainly is after yesterday.

Plenty of men's teams battle hard to make profits, it hasn't stopped a lot of them from already making significant contributions to the women's football landscape while also reaping benefits in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Women's#Expansion_(2019–20)
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-16/eight-more-clubs-submit-bids-for-aflw-

There are 18 AFLM clubs. In 2020, there will be 14 AFLW clubs.

Placed bid, not granted entry yet: Essendon, Hawthorn
Yet to place a bid: Port Adelaide, Sydney

The Sydney Swans made a submission indicating an interest in fielding a team in the future, providing they can provide appropriate training and administrative facilities. Port Adelaide did not lodge a formal bid, but said it remained “committed to promoting and developing women’s football at a grassroots level in South Australia”.

I probably should've included the following link from March 20 in my previous post:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/9e8e0d47ef07604c51d4aad6b16482a1
Port ‘absolutely keen’ for AFLW team at next intake

Port’s Next Generation Academy manager Shane Grimm has confirmed the Power wants to join the national women’s competition as soon as it can — possibly 2022.

“We’ve effectively just got to wait until the AFL provides licences,” Grimm said. “Once that is presented to us, we are absolutely keen to get involved and we think with the work we are doing now, we will be well prepared when that does happen.

“I’m not 100 per cent sure but I think (the next bid for licences) may be 2022.”

I wonder if the AFL will look to add 2 teams or 4 next time, and if so, when?

And if Sydney doesn't bid, who of Essendon, Hawthorn and Port misses out?

2017 - 8 teams
2018 - 8 teams
2019 - 10 teams
2020 - 14 teams
2021 - 14 teams
2022 - ??

Sydney are developing new facilities at Moore Park and have had a Girls Academy for the last 2-3 years. They want a team. I believe Micky O, Jude Bolton, Nick Davis and Kirky all have daughters in the Academy.

I probably should've included the following link from March 20 in my previous post:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/9e8e0d47ef07604c51d4aad6b16482a1

What work they are doing now? I know the lack of work they are doing and have been doing in respect to grass roots football for women - nil. They have an academy side, but they just utilise talent that has already been picked and developed by the other SANFL sides first. It smacks once again of them trying to grab onto something that is promising but where others have done most of the heavy lifting to start with. :rolleyes: If they really were working at the grass roots level their SAWFL side would not have had to merge with North Haven after years of struggling to pay their association fee and field full teams, and they would have a side in the SANFLW.

I believe it is an AFL objective for all 18 clubs to have an AFLW Team, I think it was mentioned when North and Geelong were announced as the 9th and 10th teams to join the comp, which means Port having an AFLW team would be a greater possibility than "unlikely". I'm not sure when they will join the AFLW, but I would think the AFLW will need to have a second SA Team in the 5-10 years, especially if the Crows continue to dominate the league like they did this season.

What work they are doing now? I know the lack of work they are doing and have been doing in respect to grass roots football for women - nil. They have an academy side, but they just utilise talent that has already been picked and developed by the other SANFL sides first. It smacks once again of them trying to grab onto something that is promising but where others have done most of the heavy lifting to start with. :rolleyes: If they really were working at the grass roots level their SAWFL side would not have had to merge with North Haven after years of struggling to pay their association fee and field full teams, and they would have a side in the SANFLW.
I completely agree with 90% of this. But I didn’t think the sanfl wanted the afl clubs to have a team in the sanflw?
Or was that the Adelaide football league didn’t want the sanfl having a team in both (hence why west Adelaide merged with Fitzroy in the amatuer competitions)

Why are Adelaide so much better than other clubs? If not for injuries, they would have probably already three-peated.

Opposition clubs are lucky that Erin Phillips is not 5-8 years younger.

Well Adelaide were a standout team this year but a flag going their way in '17 or '18 was hardly the predictable outcome. Brisbane had the highest win-loss ratio in the first two seasons (63%, 10-5-1) and I've said before I think Melbourne played the best football across those collective four months.

I regretted the Dees not winning it in year 1 for the same reason the Bulldogs and Crows claiming the next two can only be a good thing for the game--three campaigns clearly built on a skills-first approach.

I don't know much about what they're doing, but I do know what you're talking about doesn't preclude them from developing their program and becoming an asset to women's football in the future. Talk is cheap, but my guess is they really are now motivated to make it work properly because it doesn't make sense for them not to be!

I think Melbourne played the best football across those collective four months.
I was flabbergasted when I heard that Daisy Pearce had gotten pregnant but I guess given that there are paid peanuts there is no disincentive to choose family over football. I doubt she would have made the same decision if she was getting paid 6 figures.

Well Adelaide were a standout team this year but a flag going their way in '17 or '18 was hardly the predictable outcome. Brisbane had the highest win-loss ratio in the first two seasons (63%, 10-5-1) and I've said before I think Melbourne played the best football across those collective four months.

I regretted the Dees not winning it in year 1 for the same reason the Bulldogs and Crows claiming the next two can only be a good thing for the game--three campaigns clearly built on a skills-first approach.

I don't know much about what they're doing, but I do know what you're talking about doesn't preclude them from developing their program and becoming an asset to women's football in the future. Talk is cheap, but my guess is they really are now motivated to make it work properly because it doesn't make sense for them not to be!

Being in Adelaide makes a difference in knowing about Port and their lack of actual real support for grass roots. They have always talked a PR game, but rarely follow through with real actions (just look at their responses regarding racist or violent supporters). I grew up respecting Port Adelaide Magpies, as my father supported them and I got taken to a lot of their games to watch, but their actions in getting the second licence and milking the SANFL and other actions about complaining when their handouts weren't big enough - I am very cynical about their intentions. My dad objected to the way the Board at Port acted then and since and no longer supports them at all. He's not alone about that and they did lose a number of their 'die-hard supporters' at the time.

I think there are a couple of things Adelaide did right from the start - drafting a larger number of players who have a nice long kicking ability (more than most other teams). Installing Bec Goddard to set up a team culture as her primary focus. This meant also looking at who was selected for the team and cmndstab's thread on the Adelaide board profiling the players who played in the GF yesterday shows how many of those players were leaders in either football or alternate sports. This past season it was interesting that because of the restrictions on the NT Thunder players it meant that most of the Crows team did not play a full VFLW season. Marinoff sat out the entirety of the season as she was rehabbing her hip injury from the 2018 season. This meant that many of the Crows players were 'fresher' coming in to the season.

The girls all talk about how much of a family they are and being split between SA and NT I think has helped with this bonding of the team into a family. They keep in regular contact even being based in separate states and when they come together to train and play they appreciate being together as a team. It's a unique situation that has created that bond.

Interesting that Clarke only had allocated 16 minutes at the start of each season specifically dedicated to skills practice on the Tues and Thurs trainings. Over time this does add up, and one of the main skills included in all their training drills was ground ball work. I've been able to watch a couple of their training sessions this year and it was seriously impressive, particularly their training specifically towards their opponents and working on drills to capitalise opponents weakness and how to turn those team's strengths into a weakness. The ability of the players to transition from the training to implementing on field on game day has blown me away. They just seem so 'teachable' and are really absorbing of everything Clarke says. He also has a bit of understanding of women's sport in being married to Ali Clarke (a decent women's basketballer herself) and I think that has helped too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back