AFLW GRAND FINAL - 2023 AFLW season - North Melb. vs Brisbane - Sunday, 3 December - 2.30pm AEDT at Ikon Park

Who wins, how much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, that'll still be a sore point until we win one there.

That being said, Lions AFLW team deserve all the credit. Lost Bates, Bodey, Wardlaw and Pullar in the off season. We were expected to drop off a bit and rebuild again, but total credit to the team and coach on their 2023 premiership achievement !
And Ludkins

It's not funny anymore :embarrassedv1:.

Massive huge briss bloke came out of the coaching box..was Huge like he been in all U can eat buffet 24/7 ....wicket keeper Pant would of been proud of.

Huh? A big guy was in the coaches box?

I'm not sure what the joke was. What was "box" in inverted commas for?

A few people seem to think the joke was obvious but it's gone over my head.

Ikon Park yesterday was a good advertisement for why they sometimes have to plan Grand Final venues ahead of time.

They couldn't hold the GF at Ikon again. The atmosphere is strange, access is appalling, it doesn't fit enough people etc. etc. And that was a problem for North v Brisbane. Can you imagine Collingwood v Richmond?

Marvel and MCG are in concert season so couldn't be booked one week in advance, probably very few venues which could except the dedicated AFLW grounds and with the exception of GMHBA and Metricon, none of them are fit to host a Grand Final.

It was a great day and great contest. But all the official stuff was facing the cameras rather than the bulk of fans in the legends stand. Many more fans would have wanted tickets, but there were also lots of empty seats (needs to be booked seating).

New proposed rule: If it can't host AFL, it shouldn't be allowed to host the AFLW Grand Final. Either they bring these AFLW stadiums up to standard or they book a neutral venue every year (all the AFL grounds except Metricon and GMHBA are neutral). i.e. it could be Adelaide Oval, SCG, MCG, Marvel, Optus, Gabba. If they book them in a rotation, it should be able to happen.

The game has outgrown Ikon for Grand Finals.

Ikon would be fine if the Heatley stand as well as other renos are undertaken. Which should be a matter of course I think.
There is a dire need for a boutique 25-30k stadium in Melbourne. Due to the planning of the GF being around results the booking can't be done until 7 days prior. Marvel would have been unreal and I think 30k would have rolled up if held there.
Agree that the presentation was all wrong - in the exact area where most people weren't.

They couldn't hold the GF at Ikon again. The atmosphere is strange, access is appalling, it doesn't fit enough people etc. etc. And that was a problem for North v Brisbane. Can you imagine Collingwood v Richmond?

Marvel and MCG are in concert season so couldn't be booked one week in advance, probably very few venues which could except the dedicated AFLW grounds and with the exception of GMHBA and Metricon, none of them are fit to host a Grand Final.
Quietly the AFL's "plan", in the event of a Collingwood v Richmond GF (or Adel v PA, or WCE v Frem etc), is to sweet talk and/or strongarm their way onto the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium.

Ikon Park yesterday was a good advertisement for why they sometimes have to plan Grand Final venues ahead of time.

It was a great day and great contest. But all the official stuff was facing the cameras rather than the bulk of fans in the legends stand. Many more fans would have wanted tickets, but there were also lots of empty seats (needs to be booked seating).

New proposed rule: If it can't host AFL, it shouldn't be allowed to host the AFLW Grand Final. Either they bring these AFLW stadiums up to standard or they book a neutral venue every year (all the AFL grounds except Metricon and GMHBA are neutral). i.e. it could be Adelaide Oval, SCG, MCG, Marvel, Optus, Gabba. If they book them in a rotation, it should be able to happen.

The game has outgrown Ikon for Grand Finals.

I don't think the GF was set in stone .

If Crows had of won vs North the week before the GF was going to be played in Brisbane..?

Given the crowd numbers the AFL might have something to think about next season .

Quietly the AFL's "plan", in the event of a Collingwood v Richmond GF (or Adel v PA, or WCE v Frem etc), is to sweet talk and/or strongarm their way onto the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium.
So the MCG, Optus and Adelaide Oval will all go sure, we will take out the drop in wicket which we need to prepare for the upcoming tests and BBL and then drop it back in once the AFLW's GF is done.

The only way they could get on to the main arena's would be to change the timing of the season so it finishes during or just before the mens footy kicks off.

So the MCG, Optus and Adelaide Oval will all go sure, we will take out the drop in wicket which we need to prepare for the upcoming tests and BBL and then drop it back in once the AFLW's GF is done.

The only way they could get on to the main arena's would be to change the timing of the season so it finishes during or just before the mens footy kicks off.
Or, if they booked it in advance, the stadium booked to host can plan around it. (i.e. BBL home games later in the season)

MCG would be too big.

Ikon didn't do the game justice yesterday, which was a shame for such a great contest. And not taking away anything from the very vocal crowd. I was worried, as a neutral, that if the Lions won it might have been a muted celebration, but they were pretty vocal piling on those goals.

The stadiums have no say. It would be up to the cricketing bodies, who can all be bought. But obviously the AFL won't consider making such a bold play unless they deemed the matchup to be worthy (i.e. Coll v Rich, which would absolutely get a 90k+ crowd).

Ftr you wouldn't even need to pull out the pitches. One AFLW game in early December would have no impact on the wicket block.

Ikon would be fine if the Heatley stand as well as other renos are undertaken. Which should be a matter of course I think.
There is a dire need for a boutique 25-30k stadium in Melbourne. Due to the planning of the GF being around results the booking can't be done until 7 days prior. Marvel would have been unreal and I think 30k would have rolled up if held there.
Agree that the presentation was all wrong - in the exact area where most people weren't.
But a boutique stadium would probably/possibly be booked itself for something.

Is it really possible to have a 30k venue in every potential host state available?

I'm not sure having a home final is more important than avoiding just having to play at whatever ground is available, especially if it's sub-standard.

Gotta remember, the VFL had the GF at the 100k MCG when most teams were playing at suburban ~20-30k grounds. The GF should be a spectacle, not thrown on at whatever ground is available.

Yes but playing at say Adelaide Oval may only attract 20k supporters of the 2 sides playing, possibly less, when they aren't in that state. Unlike the mens GF the women don't have that volume of crusted on supporters who will travel anywhere to watch. If the stadium is full of predominantly neutral supporters then the game won't have the atmosphere imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - thats how I see it too.

The stadiums have no say. It would be up to the cricketing bodies, who can all be bought. But obviously the AFL won't consider making such a bold play unless they deemed the matchup to be worthy (i.e. Coll v Rich, which would absolutely get a 90k+ crowd).

Ftr you wouldn't even need to pull out the pitches. One AFLW game in early December would have no impact on the wicket block.

AFLW won't even pay for goal review....

AFLW won't even pay for goal review....
I have a feeling the league would see more benefit, from both a financial and PR perspective, in a sold out MCG than a goal review system that doesn't even work.

Back