List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure. We will know more as the year goes on but don’t mind this draft but don’t know if it’s deep or not. 2020 looks very good apparently.

2020 looks horrendous at this point. 2019 not as good as last year, though the top 6-7 will be just as good

AFL draft 2019, best prospects, players to watch:

JACKSON MEAD

Club: Woodville-West Torrens, South Australia (Port Adelaide Father-Son)
Position: Midfielder
Size: 181cm, 83kg
Champion Data player comparison: Kieren Jack
Foxfooty.com.au says: Mead finished 2018 with a bang after dominating in the SANFL Under 18 Grand Final, where he was the best player on the ground, collecting 21 disposals, seven tackles, five inside 50s and booted four goals in the Eagles’ win. The Port Adelaide Father-Son prospect was also impressive in the South Australia schoolboy Grand Final, showing off his booming kick and marking well overhead.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/9a51584f4f56b4704ed03da9b39a817d

Just finished watching Oakleigh v Eastern.

Oakleigh are the real deal and their big guns are special. I mentioned Anderson in the previous post. He should go pick 1. He's the best player in the draft. 190cm x-factor midfielder who can dominate up forward with elite skills, elite hands and good movement. He's the package.

Rowell is just a bull. Would love him to be a touch taller, but it doesn't seem to matter, he just knows where the ball is going to fall at stoppages and gets his hands on it. Kicking action is a little strange.

Dylan Williams is a Connor Rozee clone. Maybe not as big a jump, but is 185cm, crazy agility, very quick, good left foot kick. Was well held by Todd Garner (Joel's brother) in the first half, but showed he can go through the middle and win some contested ball and get some clearing kicks forward. Just need to see more from him.

I like the look of Bryan in the ruck. Bit of Tim English about him. 202cm, agile, good ruck craft and a smart player. Trent Bianco looks like he could become a good attacking back flanker. Has good pace and agility but some of his decision making lets him down. He is otherwise a nice kick. Finlay Macrae looks and plays a lot like his brother.

Jo Ayton-Delaney who missed out last year was playing a new role through the midfield and unfortunately his kicking has gone from a highlight to a lowlight. Could barely hit a target all day, despite getting nearly 30 touches.

Eastern were disappointing through the second half. Couldn't retain the ball and didnt really have anyone to kick to up forward. James Blanck looked good down back. Stapleton looks a player in the Rowbottom mould but needs to get more outside ball. Rossiter just couldn't impact at all.

Oakleigh are the real deal and their big guns are special. I mentioned Anderson in the previous post. He should go pick 1. He's the best player in the draft. 190cm x-factor midfielder who can dominate up forward with elite skills, elite hands and good movement. He's the package.

Rowell is just a bull. Would love him to be a touch taller, but it doesn't seem to matter, he just knows where the ball is going to fall at stoppages and gets his hands on it. Kicking action is a little strange.

Dylan Williams is a Connor Rozee clone. Maybe not as big a jump, but is 185cm, crazy agility, very quick, good left foot kick. Was well held by Todd Garner (Joel's brother) in the first half, but showed he can go through the middle and win some contested ball and get some clearing kicks forward. Just need to see more from him.

I like the look of Bryan in the ruck. Bit of Tim English about him. 202cm, agile, good ruck craft and a smart player. Trent Bianco looks like he could become a good attacking back flanker. Has good pace and agility but some of his decision making lets him down. He is otherwise a nice kick. Finlay Macrae looks and plays a lot like his brother.

Jo Ayton-Delaney who missed out last year was playing a new role through the midfield and unfortunately his kicking has gone from a highlight to a lowlight. Could barely hit a target all day, despite getting nearly 30 touches.

Eastern were disappointing through the second half. Couldn't retain the ball and didnt really have anyone to kick to up forward. James Blanck looked good down back. Stapleton looks a player in the Rowbottom mould but needs to get more outside ball. Rossiter just couldn't impact at all.
In another variation of a NGA rort Todd Garner is aligned to Hawthorn.

So far it sounds like it’s a good midfielder draft which is both good and bad for us. I’m always a fan of guys that produce big numbers cause it translates unless they are snail-slow. Anyone that gets a shot at Rowell should be ecstatic. Would love him as a boak replacement.

Bizarrely when I’ve been screaming at us to draft pure midfielders for years we’ve suddenly added a wealth of mids and while we still need more and I can’t believe I’m saying this half back is a position we should be looking at where possible. That and a marking medium forward or small forward who is good overhead but mead could cover that otherwise Flanders or serong in this draft.

I like what I’ve heard of Ash. Pretty much exactly what we need to add to our developing youth. A competitive 2 way defender. What’s your opinion on young? Any other really strong half backs in the mould of a Wilson / Enright / hodge type?

I know this is the 2019 draft thread but as Dwayne Russell said 10 minutes ago, there are a s**t load of 2018 draftees debuting Rd 1 and that doesn't include Rankine who is injured.

Did Chris Davies at the members convention say 2019 is a poor draft or was it 2020?

He said 2019 had about 60 draftable players.

2020 had something like 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive is that we have a good f/s prospect in 2020

Negative is that shallow draft probably makes it less likely he slides

But there is a absolute wealth of SA talent around the league currently coming out of contract in 2020.

That’s why 2020 is a great time to trade out our first round pick.

With only a limited number of quality players, a team who needs to draft due to salary cap constraints (like GWS if they hold onto Coniglio and Kelly) might say our first round pick in 2020 is worth someone decent that they need to shed to stay under the cap. That player can go to Gold Coast along with our 2021 pick for Lukosius.

So far it sounds like it’s a good midfielder draft which is both good and bad for us. I’m always a fan of guys that produce big numbers cause it translates unless they are snail-slow. Anyone that gets a shot at Rowell should be ecstatic. Would love him as a boak replacement.

Bizarrely when I’ve been screaming at us to draft pure midfielders for years we’ve suddenly added a wealth of mids and while we still need more and I can’t believe I’m saying this half back is a position we should be looking at where possible. That and a marking medium forward or small forward who is good overhead but mead could cover that otherwise Flanders or serong in this draft.

I like what I’ve heard of Ash. Pretty much exactly what we need to add to our developing youth. A competitive 2 way defender. What’s your opinion on young? Any other really strong half backs in the mould of a Wilson / Enright / hodge type?

The reason why I was so gung ho on Bailey Williams last year wasn't just because I thought he will become a good AFL player, but also because this was going to be a less than impressive talls draft. If we miss out on talls again this year then suddenly there will be a real significant gap in our list from a KPF perspective. Bringing another one in should be top of the wish list this year.

Ash is very good. Young will be good. Lachlan Potter is one that should be there in the 20s/30s that would fit the bill as well. I reckon we are well set for defenders though.

Guys I want to see more of this year (that we are realistically able to draft along with Mead etc, so not guys like Anderson, Serong and Rowell), just going off what their coaches say about them in the NAB League Season Guide:

Blake Kuipers
Sam De Koning
Ned Cahill
Hayden Young
Dylan Williams
Trent Bianco
Brock Smith
Sam Flanders
Leo Connolly
Zach Reid
Andrew Courtney
Joshua Worrell
Emerson Jeka
Darcy Cassar
Elijah Hollands
Will Chandler
Lachlan Ash
Flynn Perez
Brodie Kemp
Ryan Gardner
Ryan Sturgess
Lachlan Potter

I'm always a fan of half backs that have the potential to roll through the midfield. We need guys who are able to play multiple positions and push up and down the ground to play the style we want to play.

The reason why I was so gung ho on Bailey Williams last year wasn't just because I thought he will become a good AFL player, but also because this was going to be a less than impressive talls draft. If we miss out on talls again this year then suddenly there will be a real significant gap in our list from a KPF perspective. Bringing another one in should be top of the wish list this year.

Ash is very good. Young will be good. Lachlan Potter is one that should be there in the 20s/30s that would fit the bill as well. I reckon we are well set for defenders though.

I would love us to make stockpiling key forwards a priority. Don’t like reaching for them in drafts out of need though. The percentage play of that working out must be 1/100. Carlton and dekoning. Is he still a thing there? Anyway I would love key forwards but I’m going to temper my expectations right now.

As for half backs I don’t think we are. Maybe right now, but not in the next gen that will be built around wines Marshall butters etc.

Broadbent and Hartlett will be gone then. Pittard gone to north. I love Houston and he is a part of our future. Dbj I’ve had hopes for but I really don’t want us to bet on him becoming elite. Also want another half back who is better in the air than him.

Burton looks great and a part of our future.

Bonner shows a lot of promise but plays like a guy half his size and is an offensive weapon who is and might continue to push up the ground.

Garner is an unknown at afl level.

See patmore as a gut running spread mid. Frederick if he becomes anything is tiny. Lienert maybe the guy but not sure.

I certainly don’t want us to reach for a half back but hopefully we have our eyes on them and grab any that are great value at our picks or manoeuvre into spots for them. Key forwards more of a need yeah but half back probably more attainable.

Who are the key forwards in this draft? Have only heard of Jeka and Worrell.

Some more Key Forwards will put their hands up over the next couple months before Champs, but at the moment a few overagers in O’Reilly, Bowman and Clarke might be the best of the lot

I’m all for getting Lachie Potter. Lightning quick, insane change of direction and plays tight as well. Might rise into a 1st rounder by end of the year. Played real well against Western.

Ryan Sturgess is definitely worth a close look. Similar to Nick Coffield but a bit bigger and can switch forward too.

On paper, Oakleigh Chargers appear to be the strongest team in the NAB League with a number of top draft prospects.

As things currently stand, they could house the first four Victorian draftees, with Noah Anderson, Trent Bianco, Matthew Rowell and Dylan Williams all plying their trade at the Chargers as the contend for the No. 1 pick.

The SANFL competition begins this weekend, while the WAFL starts the following weekend.

South Australian key defender Will Gould looms as a potential top-10, with the Under 18 All-Australian in the mix for a possible SANFL League debut with Glenelg.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/11281d9e0ba91ca6a1a6519e1965116c

Thanks Neddy!!

If that measurement is accurate mead has grown as the last measurements I saw were 181

I don’t care if he’s 181 or 183, when we get him we should still chuck him in the ruck occasionally as a tribute to his Dad.

I watched Sandringham destroy Calder last night. Calder in for a long year.

A number of good players for Sandy worth keeping an eye on.

Riley Bowman - 198cm KPF/Ruck who missed out on the draft last year, has switched teams to Sandy and had a very good game.

Angus Hanrahan - Another who missed out last year. Hard runner, great agility, fantastic kick. Seems to have added a little more grunt to his game this year and will definitely be putting his hand up on draft night again this year

Charlie Dean - 195cm KPF. Similar to Hugo Munn last year in that he needs to lead a bit more and work a bit harder for his disposals. Also like Munn he's an excellent kick for goal. Very interested in seeing how he develops throughout the season.

Finn Maginness - An in/out mid, quite classy, very good over the ball. Some silky movement in traffic but needs to find a bit more of the ball

Josh Worrell - A real interesting type. Similar to Charlie Ballard in that he's a tall outside mid who can run like the wind. Long blonde hair. Looks like Bruce Light. Can play any position on the ground.

Ryan Byrnes - Really liked Byrnes as a quick inside mid with great change of direction and excellent kicking at speed.

I watched Sandringham destroy Calder last night. Calder in for a long year.

A number of good players for Sandy worth keeping an eye on.

Riley Bowman - 198cm KPF/Ruck who missed out on the draft last year, has switched teams to Sandy and had a very good game.

Angus Hanrahan - Another who missed out last year. Hard runner, great agility, fantastic kick. Seems to have added a little more grunt to his game this year and will definitely be putting his hand up on draft night again this year

Charlie Dean - 195cm KPF. Similar to Hugo Munn last year in that he needs to lead a bit more and work a bit harder for his disposals. Also like Munn he's an excellent kick for goal. Very interested in seeing how he develops throughout the season.

Finn Maginness - An in/out mid, quite classy, very good over the ball. Some silky movement in traffic but needs to find a bit more of the ball

Josh Worrell - A real interesting type. Similar to Charlie Ballard in that he's a tall outside mid who can run like the wind. Long blonde hair. Looks like Bruce Light. Can play any position on the ground.

Ryan Byrnes - Really liked Byrnes as a quick inside mid with great change of direction and excellent kicking at speed.

So bowman, Hanrahan and Matty loyld (I haven’t seen him play but apparently good start to year) are three guys maybe worth watching for mid-season draft?

Byrnes sounds like a type I would love to add to our developing mids

I was real surprised Hanrahan missed out last year. Thought he’d at least get a go as a rookie. I’d be happy to pick him up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back