List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A bit out of my depth in this space. Where do people see Luke Jackson (WA ruckman) ending up (in the draft and in position at AFL level)?

Is perhaps too short for Ruck, though from what I have seen of the Championships is a contested bull (Ben Hudson like, with more versatility). Surely a good KP prospect?
Would imagine pick 40 or later. Think he is the same height as nankervis but not many other modern day Rucks his size. Would be interesting to see how he would go playing out of the goal square

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
lots of debate here whether we should pick best available or pick someoen who would best fill our needs.

Look at the 2016 draft, we drafted Lipinski at 28 and Shai Bolton went at 29.

In hindsight, would we have been better off with the 'needs' player or the 'best available' one?

One pick in isolation isnt meaningful. The end result is we want a balanced list full of talented players in every role. The real risk isnt that we flub one pick or trade for one dud player, its that the sum of all drafting and trading results in an unbalanced list or one with not enough talent. IF your list becomes too unbalanced, then you have to start trading like you mean it, which is itself risky - investing lots of cash and draft picks to pry talented players away, or choosing NQRs and hoping they come good. This is also super risky for lots of reasons. If trading to fill gaps in lists was so easy, why havent we managed to do it by now?

drafting cant be seperated from list management as whole by applying a simplistic blanket policy.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
I've always believed in drafting best available, but this year I'd really like to see us get draft a KPP or trade our first pick for a KPP, unless of course an elite talent slips to our pick and is a midfielder.

Our midfield is brimming with talent, in the 22-26yr range next year will be
Marcus Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter, Toby McLean. That is probably a top 4 starting midfield right there.. Bont is a top 3 midfielder in the comp and Macrae is a top 15 midfielder in the comp. Reminds me of the Swan/Pendles duo, your accumulator and classy mid.

But ontop of that, we have Libba and Wallis who are hardly senior citizens (will be 27/28 next year) and have another 3 or so good seasons left.

Then we have Bailey Smith, a kid who right now is up there with Walsh and Rozee as being the best talent from the 2018 superdraft.

I havn't even included young guys like West, Lipinski etc..

Litreally, in 2-3 years we could have the Judd/Cousins/Kerr trio (Bont/Macrae/B Smith).

We need KPP's though, the only good one we have is Naughton. Schache might turn out to be an ok second string, and Cordy is an ok 2nd tall, but we need an elite Hurley type.

I realise people are going to say we can play Bont, Wallis, McLean up forward. But Bont is 100x better in the midfield, why waste him up forward? He turns games and is a top 3 midfielder in the competition, look at Coll and PA (he also nearly bought us back against North in that 3rd qtr IIRC). His an average forward, might kick a few goals here and there (when he kicks straight, which hasn't been for a while) but his an elite midfielder. Also think McLean needs to play midfield, not forward.

Brass Dog

Senior List
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yankees

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who is the fastest draft prospect in this draft pool? worth getting as a project player with a late pick? could be our version of petrucelle?
Probably not the forum to discuss it but it will be interesting to see how Petrucelle turns out. He’s such an exciting player but that’s purely down to his speed. He certainly looks electric but there’s not too many players who get by on that alone.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A bit out of my depth in this space. Where do people see Luke Jackson (WA ruckman) ending up (in the draft and in position at AFL level)?

Is perhaps too short for Ruck, though from what I have seen of the Championships is a contested bull (Ben Hudson like, with more versatility). Surely a good KP prospect?
Yes he would make a awesome KPP. Incredibly mobile and has the ground level skills of a mid. I'd draft him and try and make him into a KPF/2nd ruck imo.

Reckon he is late first early second round type of player. Would love to get him because matching up on a player like him would be nightmarish.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

BF Phantom is back for a another year. Here is the trial run thread for those interested.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes he would make a awesome KPP. Incredibly mobile and has the ground level skills of a mid. I'd draft him and try and make him into a KPF/2nd ruck imo.

Reckon he is late first early second round type of player. Would love to get him because matching up on a player like him would be nightmarish.
I like the idea of a KPD for Luke. Has lots of the tools needed but he would need to learn playing that position. So would only use a third rounder for someone we would need to retrain for 2+ years.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would imagine pick 40 or later. Think he is the same height as nankervis but not many other modern day Rucks his size. Would be interesting to see how he would go playing out of the goal square
If he drops into the 40 range I would take him and try to turn him into a KPP who pinch hits in the ruck

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Haven't heard anyone rate him that highly. Can't see him going that high given his an underside ruck and hasn't played forward or back at all as far as I'm aware.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Haven't heard anyone rate him that highly. Can't see him going that high given his an underside ruck and hasn't played forward or back at all as far as I'm aware.

He is in that 18-25 range for mine and quite a few have him in that bracket on the phantom drafts board and Twomey had him ranked around there too. Not many players of his height have his sort of athleticism and ability to win the ball at ground level like he can. That is why I think someone will bite in that range.

First pick of the BF Phantom trial is a slider if ever I've seen one. Had to pick best available and for a minor need there.
Well there's that second wing spot sewn up.

Liked Devon Robertson going early too. I suspect in the real thing Elijah Taylor goes first round as well.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well there's that second wing spot sewn up.

Liked Devon Robertson going early too. I suspect in the real thing Elijah Taylor goes first round as well.

Yeah I'd play him on a wing until our older defenders (moz & wood in particular) hang up the boots then move him into defense with his brother.

Was not expecting Young to drop into my lap like that.

Yeah I'd play him on a wing until our older defenders (moz & wood in particular) hang up the boots then move him into defense with his brother.

One way to ensure we get the good brother for once! Lachie's ability overhead is innate, hopefully that translates to his brother if we pick him up.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I'd be disappointed if we did end up with Young, but feels like we'd be stupid not to take him if he lasted all the way until our pick. You always take best available when you're selecting in the top 10. Last time I hated one of our picks was when we chose Bailey Smith instead of trading down or getting Jordan Clark. Before that, it was when we took Naughton instead of Aiden Bonar.

Evidently, I'd be a terrible list manager..

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd be disappointed if we did end up with Young, but feels like we'd be stupid not to take him if he lasted all the way until our pick. You always take best available when you're selecting in the top 10. Last time I hated one of our picks was when we chose Bailey Smith instead of trading down or getting Jordan Clark. Before that, it was when we took Naughton instead of Aiden Bonar.

Evidently, I'd be a terrible list manager..
I was spewing for months when we took Macrae over Wines. But over the years I’m more than happy for Macrae now 🤩

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am tipping us to finish with Pick 8 - 10 based on current form and the remaining fixture. That likely puts us out of reach of guys like Kemp, Young, Serong, etc.

More likely we do go for McAsey (KPD), Flanders (Mid-Forward), Williams (Gen Fwd), or possibly even Taylor if he bolts enough. Hoping he's still there at our 2nd though, but at this rate he won't be.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am tipping us to finish with Pick 8 - 10 based on current form and the remaining fixture. That likely puts us out of reach of guys like Kemp, Young, Serong, etc.

More likely we do go for McAsey (KPD), Flanders (Mid-Forward), Williams (Gen Fwd), or possibly even Taylor if he bolts enough. Hoping he's still there at our 2nd though, but at this rate he won't be.

I have McAsey, Dylan Stephens, Taylor and Flanders as the four I'd like if we had a pick around 10.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have McAsey, Dylan Stephens, Taylor and Flanders as the four I'd like if we had a pick around 10.
Yeah Stephens is another I like, just figured he'd be more likely to go in the teens. If we can secure another 1st rounder like we did in 2017 (bringing Pick 8 and ~15 to draft) then drafting McAsey + Taylor/Stephens would be incredible for us I think

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

BF Phantom is back for a another year. Here is the trial run thread for those interested.
Maginness at Pick 8 - people are taking the piss with their picks already

Back