List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't understand why Melbourne did that trade to get Pick 8. In a s**t draft, why go balls deep? Especially when their biggest needs are wingers (all over this draft, and they just got Langdon + Tomlinson), small forwards (everywhere in this draft) and key forwards (nothing good at the top end). Really don't see why they would both to trade up. Their original Pick 3 gets them either Young or Flanders, which should've been more than enough. Going for Pick 8 at the expense of next year was just stupid

I still don't understand why Melbourne did that trade to get Pick 8. In a s**t draft, why go balls deep? Especially when their biggest needs are wingers (all over this draft, and they just got Langdon + Tomlinson), small forwards (everywhere in this draft) and key forwards (nothing good at the top end). Really don't see why they would both to trade up. Their original Pick 3 gets them either Young or Flanders, which should've been more than enough. Going for Pick 8 at the expense of next year was just stupid

Next years draft is very compromised by Academy kids.
I didn’t mind the trade but think they over paid with the mid round picks.

Getting a player into your team a year earlier, gets them further up to speed. I was surprised that no other teams have really done this. Except for Carlton, who have horrible talent evaluators.

which team drafts the worst: carlton or Melbourne?
GWS give them a fair run on retention:

Initial squad: 5 x remain from 34 Players or 14.71% (Did take some older wash ups)
2011: 4 x remain from 14 Players or 28.57%
2012: 2 x remain from 8 Players or 25.00%
2013: 1 x remain from 4 Players or 25.00%
2014: 0 x remain from 5 Players or 00.00%
2015: 3 x remain from 4 Players or 75.00%
2016: 3 x remain from 5 Players or 60.00%
2017: 4 x remain from 5 Players or 80.00%
2018: 6 x remain from 6 Players or 100.00%

Started to normalise the last four drafts, but plenty of single figure game tallies or zero game tallies, need
to redefine best available Matt De Boer most games (49) in the last three drafts.

which team drafts the worst: carlton or Melbourne?
I have to say Carlton. Without googling, name me 3 good players they have drafted in the last few years outside the first round. Because I can't even think of 1 to be honest.

Cripps, Walsh, SPS, Weitering, McKay, Curnow - all first round picks. Meanwhile, Silvagni has drafted nothing with their later picks. The only reason they have any decent talent on their list is because they've been woeful for so many years, so all those early picks have to add up to something.

At least for Melbourne, while their drafting has been terrible, they have still found a couple of guys in the later rounds like Harmes, Fritsch, McDonald, plus Viney and Howe in the 2nd round. Hore and Dunkley both could go alright, but way too early to tell. Although not much recently, so in the last 3 or 4 years I'd say both clubs are about even on how crap they are at the draft

I have to say Carlton. Without googling, name me 3 good players they have drafted in the last few years outside the first round. Because I can't even think of 1 to be honest.

Cripps, Walsh, SPS, Weitering, McKay, Curnow - all first round picks. Meanwhile, Silvagni has drafted nothing with their later picks. The only reason they have any decent talent on their list is because they've been woeful for so many years, so all those early picks have to add up to something.

At least for Melbourne, while their drafting has been terrible, they have still found a couple of guys in the later rounds like Harmes, Fritsch, McDonald, plus Viney and Howe in the 2nd round. Hore and Dunkley both could go alright, but way too early to tell. Although not much recently, so in the last 3 or 4 years I'd say both clubs are about even on how crap they are at the draft
Fisher was second round from memory, Williamson was pick 61 I think (who I have big wraps for if he can stay on the park).

Elijah Taylor was still on the board and it was extremely tempting to take him.
Love him. Will ned up a "how did he slide that far" type if he escapes the first round. Plays "AFL" style football.

Jackson could easily be a Grundy/English situation. Rated highly in the lead-up to the draft but clubs just don't pull the trigger early on.
Freo passed on English when he was heavily linked to them.
I can see Jackson sliding to the teens, especially considering he's a couple of inches shorter than modern ruckmen. Especially if Melbourne target needs with pick 8.
Every year there's a bolter. We took Bont, Melbourne took Oliver. Bergman at pick 13/14 isn't much of a stretch as teams often draft for ceiling more than production even in the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, in that scenario, Freo can trade picks with another club:
- before a bid is made on Henry
- or when a bid is made on Henry

With ruckman tending to slide a little further than expected it would be amazing IF (big if) Jackson was there at our pick.
I know english projects as an elite prospect but outside that we have no real ruckman (sweet doesn't seem like he'll make it to me.) I don't know how capable Jackson is as a resting forward though if they both play and bevo doesn't like dual rucks.

Freo passed on English when he was heavily linked to them.
I can see Jackson sliding to the teens, especially considering he's a couple of inches shorter than modern ruckmen. Especially if Melbourne target needs with pick 8.
Every year there's a bolter. We took Bont, Melbourne took Oliver. Bergman at pick 13/14 isn't much of a stretch as teams often draft for ceiling more than production even in the first round.

If Jackson really is 1 of 3 players in consideration for the Dees pick 3 like Jason Taylor said on the RTTD podcast, then there's just no way I see them passing on him if he's still there at pick 8 (unless of course 1 of the other 2 candidates for pick 3 also slides to pick 8).

Also Jackson is different from Grundy/English in that the Dee's see him as a forward prospect as well. In fact Taylor said he would ideally start his career as a forward if they drafted him.

BF phantom done. Write ups probably tonight. For those who want to know the picks:

13 - Cody Weightman (177cm, 73kg Forward)
52 - Josh Morris (186cm, 76kg Forward)
91 - Jack Bell (202cm, 81kg Ruck/Forward)

Wizard, I would love to know why you think picking Weightman instead of Berman is a good idea.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of how they will perform in 3+ years.

Wizard, I would love to know why you think picking Weightman instead of Berman is a good idea.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of how they will perform in 3+ years.
Personally I would have preferred, in order:
Henry (bid)
Bergman
Rivers
Worrell
Gould

But Wizard knows his stuff. Would also like to hear the rationale though.

Last edited:
Personally I would have preferred, in order:
Henry (bid)
Bergman
River
Worrell
Gould

But Wizard knows his stuff. Would also like to hear the rationale though.
Interesting - what do you like about Worrell? Profiles seem to indicate he's a tallish defensive rebounder.

BF phantom done. Write ups probably tonight. For those who want to know the picks:

13 - Cody Weightman (177cm, 73kg Forward)
52 - Josh Morris (186cm, 76kg Forward)
91 - Jack Bell (202cm, 81kg Ruck/Forward)
Gee a lot of water flows under the bridge between those first two picks, do you think the Bulldogs may sit on
Pick 13 see what slides out and in a worse case scenario trade back if possible ? I think pick 91 becomes
around pick early to mid sixties in the real thing. Good job as always. :thumbsu:

Interesting - what do you like about Worrell? Profiles seem to indicate he's a tallish defensive rebounder.
Yeah my concern with Worrell is that we get nothing from him that we wouldn't already be getting from the likes of Cordy and Keath. If we wanted a tall defender (assuming McAsey is gone), I'd prefer De Koning who I feel would handle the big men better than Worrell

Yeah my concern with Worrell is that we get nothing from him that we wouldn't already be getting from the likes of Cordy and Keath. If we wanted a tall defender (assuming McAsey is gone), I'd prefer De Koning who I feel would handle the big men better than Worrell
Worrell is listed at 195cm as an 18 year old...

Alex Rance is one of the best key-defenders ever, 194cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back