List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne media puff piece no doubt encouraged by Carlton sources
"It's okay to let it happen - but hey we're sure it's the last time.Just this one last time for Carlton and old time's sake"
Very little planning stuff escapes Metricon these days and certainly not to that guy
I'm even more in the retain camp after that media exercise in excrement calligraphy

Melbourne media puff piece no doubt encouraged by Carlton sources
"It's okay to let it happen - but hey we're sure it's the last time.Just this one last time for Carlton and old time's sake"
Very little planning stuff escapes Metricon these days and certainly not to that guy
I'm even more in the retain camp after that media exercise in excrement calligraphy

Agree. Condescending tone to it.

The only thing interstate clubs will see if/when Martin walks to Carlton is a green light to keep poaching your blokes. End of story.

Agree. Condescending tone to it.

The only thing interstate clubs will see if/when Martin walks to Carlton is a green light to keep poaching your blokes. End of story.

I tend to disagree with this sentiment. Suns grew backbone. This situation only presents badly on Jack Martin and the Carlton footy side

What's the point of an assistance package if other Clubs know they don't have to deal with us at trade time?
At the moment they're offering peanuts for our quality players saying take it or get nothing when they walk in the PSD or in turn making us pay overs for B graders that want to come here
We get good young players spend time and money turning them in to $600k 250 game players and they walk for free?
If you can explain how the assistance package stops this happening I'm on board.

What's the point of an assistance package if other Clubs know they don't have to deal with us at trade time?
At the moment they're offering peanuts for our quality players saying take it or get nothing when they walk in the PSD or in turn making us pay overs for B graders that want to come here
We get good young players spend time and money turning them in to $600k 250 game players and they walk for free?
If you can explain how the assistance package stops this happening I'm on board.
Besides Martin who else do you feel we have been hard done by?

How you worded it sounded like you were referring to this year. The history is the past I was meaning now
History has a habit of repeating itself... Suns (read AFL) are world leaders in repeating themselves.
Wasn't last years AFL assistance package supposed to change things ? And all the packages prior to that ?
Why should the latest package work ?
Suns continue to underdevelop players for the pickings of the larger clubs.
The latest extended list puts an even greater number of young players into that system - further stretching development resources.
If the AFL were serious about Gold Coast being anything but a kindergarten club they would fork out the money to keep Martin (in this instance) ..and other senior players in the future.
Its not list numbers - its list quality - and sadly Gold Coast have little of , nor are likely to retain any of the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History has a habit of repeating itself... Suns (read AFL) are world leaders in repeating themselves.
Wasn't last years AFL assistance package supposed to change things ? And all the packages prior to that ?
Why should the latest package work ?
Suns continue to underdevelop players for the pickings of the larger clubs.
The latest extended list puts an even greater number of young players into that system - further stretching development resources.
If the AFL were serious about Gold Coast being anything but a kindergarten club they would fork out the money to keep Martin (in this instance) ..and other senior players in the future.
Its not list numbers - its list quality - and sadly Gold Coast have little of , nor are likely to retain any of the latter.

There has been two assistance packages... hard to cane the afl for last years package just yet. 2021 will be the turning point as too whether the assistance packages have worked.

Yes history has repeated itself previously but the back office has been fixed. Dew has a great coaching staff to support him now and needs to have committed players. Martin doesn’t want to be here and whilst talented has hardly set the word on fire.

Blokes like Brodie, Bowes, Fiorini, Lukosius, King, McLennan are the future and will all be guns in 2021.

Come back in two years and I feel the whole Martin saga will be well behind us and the Suns will be pushing the 8

There has been two assistance packages... hard to cane the afl for last years package just yet. 2021 will be the turning point as too whether the assistance packages have worked.

Yes history has repeated itself previously but the back office has been fixed. Dew has a great coaching staff to support him now and needs to have committed players. Martin doesn’t want to be here and whilst talented has hardly set the word on fire.

Blokes like Brodie, Bowes, Fiorini, Lukosius, King, McLennan are the future and will all be guns in 2021.

Come back in two years and I feel the whole Martin saga will be well behind us and the Suns will be pushing the 8
Agree, the environment and conditions now can't be compared to the first 8 years s**t.

Extra salary cap would be the most efficient assistance. We would have B Crouch now.

Just need a bit of luck with injuries and get more wins. I bet Lynch, Prestia, JOM, May, Ablett, Martin all would stay if we played finals.

“I just think it’s a great stance by the Gold Coast Suns, I don’t even know if they have to re-draft him (Martin) to do that, if they did, where does that leave Martin?

I think we have different opinions on the meaning of traction...

“Do they (Gold Coast) need to re-draft Jack Martin to send a message to all players that are either on the list or coming to the Gold Coast Suns, both in this draft and the drafts in the future?” King told SEN Drive.

“That you’re just not going to walk out of the place, you’re not just going to get to the destination of your choice.

“Do they (Gold Coast) need to re-draft Jack Martin to send a message to all players that are either on the list or coming to the Gold Coast Suns, both in this draft and the drafts in the future?” King told SEN Drive.

“That you’re just not going to walk out of the place, you’re not just going to get to the destination of your choice.

Your bold comments don’t make you any smarter... these comments were preceding the one I published and don’t at any stage suggest the suns are redrafting Martin.

I’m going to quote the late great Colonel Saunders who said I’m too drunk to taste this chicken. Since we are quoting nonsense
Questions a week out, putting my Suns hat on. Nephew in the academy

1) will we take 6 picks into the draft
2) if so will we pass on the last two
3) if we elevate Dawson or Holman do we still get six picks
4) if Gore (only one now that could I think) gets a bid from another team do we use one of the last picks to match
5) can we get a delisted free agent with one of the last two picks
6) will we combine 15 and 20 for something higher
7) will we enter the preseason draft to retake Martin
8) we should have three positions in rookie draft at least , who do we take

Questions a week out, putting my Suns hat on. Nephew in the academy

1) will we take 6 picks into the draft
2) if so will we pass on the last two
3) if we elevate Dawson or Holman do we still get six picks
4) if Gore (only one now that could I think) gets a bid from another team do we use one of the last picks to match
5) can we get a delisted free agent with one of the last two picks
6) will we combine 15 and 20 for something higher
7) will we enter the preseason draft to retake Martin
8) we should have three positions in rookie draft at least , who do we take
My responses are as follows:

1) No I expect the last two be unused. Unless we need them to match a bid on Gore if we want him or elevate Holman.
3) Dawson won’t be elevated, Holman could be with a later pick.
4) Gore I feel will be passed on in the national draft.
5) Don’t think there is any delisted free agents we want.
6) It’s possible. Could also hold 20 and trade into next years draft.
7) Martin is too far gone I suggest he is on his way to Carlton.
8) Unsure at this stage need to see what we get at the national draft. A back man or winger could be options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back