Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
geez it has to be mc asey we have absolutely nobody that can take a mark in this team we are a joke when the ball is put high into the forward lines. get a player that can take a mark for christ sake!

I can see the future, I reckon before long you will come up with another poxy PlayStation trade.

Oh, you mean he's actually contributing something? Actually providing some content for people to read that isn't schoolgirl whinges?

Anyone else want to have a crack at this 'critique' ???? :tearsofjoy:

1) According to EC's rationale picks in the draft are best thought of as a good set of eyes......NOT TOO CLOSE TOGETHER
2) Best players will be taken at the top end of the 10-20 range, he has seen into the future and has declared this so.
3) He has again brought forth his divine powers of sight, and deemed that GWS' 2020 1st pick, likely to land somewhere between 15-25 next year, is in fact worth less than Richmonds Pick 19. He has declared this so.

There is a pretty solid group from 4 to about 14. There is another solid group from 15 to probably 30, with a lot of good midfield talent in that second group.

Davo has a good summary on the Phantom board - there are others there worth reading too that are similar.

I had put a top 20 previously based on my reads and what clubs were saying they were doing, but this list is just based on what i would do completely excluding what clubs would do, except for Pickett who seems likely to go higher than i had predicted.

group of 14: Rowell, Anderson, Kemp, Serong, Flanders, Green, Robertson, D.Stephens, Jackson, Ash, Henry, Young, Gould, McAsey

the next group are players that have been super impressive this year at some stage/last year and have had moments where they have fallen off a little, but they are supremely gifted players who imo are the best options outside the top 14

next group of 11: Rivers, C.Stephens, Pickett, Taheny, Sharp, Bianco, D.Williams, Worrell, Ruscoe, Schoenberg, Shute

the 3rd group are players that have had moments but are a little inconsistent, these players could be really good, but are riskier picks than the first 2 groups imo, as they are less likely to be stars at AFL level, but still have the potential to be really good players and are players i have liked for the majority of the season or games i have seen them in or have been injured and i liked them a lot last year.

group of 12: Maginness, Bergman, Weightman, Perez, Day, Georgiades, Mahony, Rantall, B.Smith, Mead, Taylor, Comben

others who could go in the first 2 rounds that i like a little less than the 3 groups i have listed are: O'Neill, Finlay, Hilder, De Koning, Pasini, Cahill, Garcia, Chirgwin, Dow, Byrnes

Last edited:

Normally I have singled out maybe one or two players be happy with each pick but so open this year wouldn't be disappointed in whoever we pick think will be happy with our draft haul.

What I want and what we get could be two different things in most drafts but back Hamish and the Team to get the best players at each pick but not going to start crying over our selections as long as we don't do anything stupid with pick 6.

The two picks in the 20's loom as the most important but hardest to pick.

I'm not saying there aren't going to be good players in the 40s, but they will be less compared with 5 or 10 years ago as teams become more refined with their talent ID
Hmmm , 2 good recent example of what can be had from 38 onwards - there are other players from these drafts who could well be added to this list soon as well.

2017 - 38 J.Petrucelle . 42 C.Ballard . 45 J.Worpel . 51 K.Farrell . 56 Z.Langdon . 57 G.Miers . 73 S.Switkowski
2016 - 38 S.Darcy . 40 T.Stewart . 41 B.Cox . 43 E.Ratugolea . 48 D.Cameron . 49 L.Young . 51 E.H'berg . 52 W.Rioli . 53 J.Graham . 66 L.Ryan 73 . N.Larkey
76 M.Lewis

For a top 8 pick, big difference to that and 19 this year.

In fact Brisbane traded 16 this year for a first rounder next year, 🤔.

So you're fortune telling again, you know exactly where GWS will finish.

Brisbane traded 16 because they have too many picks this year (they cleared bunch of later picks Port will use for Mead points), and they received a 2020 pick that will be closer to pick 8 (Port's first) AND pick 29 this year.

So pick 8 in 2020 is only worth a 13 pick improvement this year.

C'mon, you should think these through.

Last edited:
Brisbane traded 16 because they have too many picks this year, and they received a 2020 pick that will be closer to pick 8 (Port's first) AND pick 29 this year.

So pick 8 in 2020 is only worth a 13 pick improvement this year.

C'mon, you should think these through.
Hang on, are you seeing into the future, WeedsMullet84 you might want to tell your mate off

And did you read what you posted? They have too many picks and yet got pick 29??

Everyone goes on about 2020 being compromised draft... but in reality those players are never available anyway so who cares...
Will still be plenty good players in 2020...

Just like when they say our pick 6 becomes 7 after green... well not really because green was never available
Hamish said yesterday he rated it and said there would be good players available

Everyone goes on about 2020 being compromised draft... but in reality those players are never available anyway so who cares...

Just like when they say our pick 6 becomes 7 after green... well not really because green was never available
The problem is, when you trade for say pick 16 next year that's likely to blow out to pick 22, due to the high amount of quality NGA/father son players. So in reality, you're not trading for the 16th best player in the draft, but the 22nd best, hence the value of first round picks will overall be lower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish clubs in top 15 reluctant to move
Mentions De Koning before McAsey
Doesn't mention Day
Shrugs off Stephens
Hints at 3 mids
Says ruck stocks are ok
1 KPP at each end to replace Tex and Talia but says you cant go in thinking this.
Possible to use 3 x 1sts in 2020 which suggests not trading GWS pick
His comment can't have to many mids that can go HB/For/Wing. Maybe planning in case BCrouch chooses to leave.
A few more trades
Maybe GC 20 for 2020 picks but not 1sts. and/or Freo 22 for points which may require trading in 3rd our 4th rounders this year.

Pick 6 Flanders/Ash/Serong/Kemp DPP
Pick 20 Stephens
Pick 22 Rivers
Pick 23 De Koning
Pick 28 Taheny/Williams/Taylor/Jones
Last pick outside mid.

2020 war chest maybe spent on KPF

Disinformation , down the garden path , red herring , head fake , etc etc .

The problem is, when you trade for say pick 16 next year that's likely to blow out to pick 22, due to the high amount of quality NGA/father son players. So in reality, you're not trading for the 16th best player in the draft, but the 22nd best, hence the value of first round picks will overall be lower

Sort of true, I guess.

The original point was right-ish. But the issue is actually how many players who in the past would have been in the normal drafting pool - such as James Borlase - that are now attached to clubs through their NGA. These are NOT new players who would have been lost to the game, they're just players who are lost to the open trading pool.

Clubs still need to find picks to cover NGA selections, so you'll move up and down the draft. But it IS looking like about 15 of the top 50 players will have NGA attachments, which will make for a crazy night.

The 2020 draft is still 12 months away. If we looked back at this time last year and there are players rated in the top 20 that aren't there now so anything can happen between now and then.

In that said not all academy and NGA might go in the first or second round either.

I would have thought Top 10 picks next year would still be worth a bit, considering they’ll be less ‘compromised’. I think North Melb have walked away with a steal, as I don’t think Melb improve as much as they they’d like to.
Makes me think there’s less currency in our 1st round pick than I initially thought.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What type of player does Day project as long term? Could he slot into the midfield? I see Knightmare has him as a Jarryn Geary comparison which doesn’t get me that excited .

I found his comments regarding pick 6 interesting too. It really does t sound like McAsey is in the mix there, but rather those youve listed. Could all be bluff though!

He's obviously being guarded but he did say there was a group of 4 (Guessing Young, Ash, Serong, Flanders) and we would take the one who slides from pick 3. McAsey hasn't been in this group. Genuine mids with X factor forward ability are match winners and usually gone inside top 10

He's obviously being guarded but he did say there was a group of 4 (Guessing Young, Ash, Serong, Flanders) and we would take the one who slides from pick 3. McAsey hasn't been in this group. Genuine mids with X factor forward ability are match winners and usually gone inside top 10

Are Young/Ash/Serong/Flanders really better than Stephens? Especially as we’re screaming out for pure midfield class and pace.

Serong isn't in that group.

I reckon they’re after Young and Jackson. Young with 3 and Jackson at 8, hence they traded up. However it appears Jackson may not be there by 8 so they’re interested in trading back down.

I’d love to see us maneuvre a second pick between 4-10. Were replenishing our list, better off acting sooner than later, get the kids in the system now, working with Nicks, bonding with our other young talent, rather than drawing it out, drip feeding 1st round talent into our squad like we’ve largely always done.
Been there a few times before a game at the G!

6 in the first round though ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back