Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaaa

Curious on your view, if we manage to get GWS pick 6, would Kemp be the answer, or do they see Borlase playing the same role down the track . and pick a Serong, Ash,
I don't see us using a 1st round pick on a player coming off a very recent ACL unless somehow we procure another reasonably early pick in the 1st round given we're rejuvenating the list. To my knowledge Borlase hasn't been playing midfield like Kemp has more half back/half forward but unless he grows some at around 191cm he'll be more a 3rd tall type. Unless of course he's encouraged to play some midfield in his top age year, hopefully that will be the case because he's already very solidly built.

Yes and yes.
Riccardi showed a bit at TAC level for the Calder Cannons both in his top age and over age years moving between Half forward and half back mainly....this year he's moved onto the VFL as a 20 year old and had a very good season playing CHF for Mark Williams/Nick Daffy's Werribee....surprisingly he was passed over in the mid season draft but reckon he will probably go close to being the first mature ager drafted in this year's draft. Another St. Bernard's College footy product like his close mate Lachlan Sholl so might be a chance for us.

According to AFL Draft Central's Ed Pascoe he tells me we've shown strong interest in high leaping athletic forward Calder Cannon Jeremy O'Sullivan also a St. Bernard's College lad and historically we've drafted us some Calder Cannons.

Currently I doubt we have a pick in Miles Bergman's range, I expect him to be a real bolter up the draft board come draft night, hugely gifted athlete, with speed, agility, very penetrating kick and an amazing leap for someone his size [188cm], a real metres gained player just needs to add consistency and more production to his game to be an out and out star IMO. I'm tipping he goes somewhere mid - late 1st round. Initially I think he plays wing/half forward at AFL level. Miles also won the Neale Daniher Medal for B.O.G. for St.Bede's College in this year's Herald Sun Shield Grand Final and played well for the Sandy Dragons in the finals of the NAB League proving he stands up in the big games.
View attachment 768004
Thanks for the reply i wuld be hapy to snare both of them but !!! Wishful thinkig

We have to be careful threatening to bid and having a rep to bid, those clubs will remember when our turn comes next year and we have NGA and F/S
That's why we need to trade our 2020/1 tbis year. Perhaps for 10 from Freo

That is a worry with Will Gould, weighed in at 98kg at the State U18 measuring before the Championships weighed in at 106kg at the National Draft Combine. First thing whoever drafts him will be doing is booking an appointment with the club dietician. That doesn't sound like skin folds that sounds like skin rolls...

That is a worry with Will Gould, weighed in at 98kg at the State U18 measuring before the Championships weighed in at 106kg at the National Draft Combine. First thing whoever drafts him will be doing is booking an appointment with the club dietician. That doesn't sound like skin folds that sounds like skin rolls...

That can't be good for his knees having to carry that load.

I think we're under-rating Serong. Seems a can't miss mid prospect for mine.
The highlights on YouTube he reminds me of James Battersby and we all know how that finished . I don’t see Robbie Gray in his movements at all like I’ve read some people mention on here. I wouldn’t be drafting Serong he just doesn’t seem he has that upside to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what Are people’s predictions on who we will be drafting?
Mine:
pick 4: flanders
Pick 23: Rantall
Pick 28: O’Neill
Pick 37: Tahney
Pick 45: Dow

Need a KPD in that list.

Knowing us, we'll probably do several live trades too - probably for points for next year.

I really like Will Gould, but what you mentioned, plus he is also sized closer to a medium defender then a key defender at 191cm. I just don't see the top 10 credentials that some people tout him as being.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him going in the last few picks of the 1st round, or even start of the 2nd.

I raise the Kemp question because of a recent example in the NFL
Jaylon Smith as a college linebacker was rated a sure fire top 10 pick until he ripped his knee a few months before the draft.
Every team passed him in the first round until the Cowboys took a chance in round 2.
He missed his rookie year, but is now a star.
Kemp appears to be the perfect addition to our list. Risk worth taking
He's not even the best linebacker on his team ;)

Need a KPD in that list.

Knowing us, we'll probably do several live trades too - probably for points for next year.
We need to bring quality youngsters in this year.

No need to chase more 2020 points. Better off waiting to see how Edwards/Borlase develop and trade points in from the 2021 draft if required.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No need to chase more 2020 points. Better off waiting to see how Edwards/Borlase develop and trade points in from the 2021 draft if required.

I think I read somewhere that next year is meant to be one of the most, if not the most compromised drafts in history.

I think we were smart to get the bulk of our work done this trade period. Next year I predict nearly every team in the comp will be working overtime to grab late round draft picks for their NGA's, F/S's etc.

I agree but we all know how much Reid loves his future pick trades.

Trades with Geelong, GWS and Freo

Pick 4 to Geelong for 14, 17, 24 if they want Flanders bad enough they will pay up. Currently 9 players over 30 on their list at the start of 2020.
Picks 37, 45, 49 for Freo 22 & 58 gives points for Henry and moves their pick up 9 spots
Picks 23, 24, 28 for GWS 6 & 40. Pick 23, and 24 get Green and it moves their 2nd pick from 40 to 28.

Pick 6 Best mid available.
Pick 14 McAsey/ Worrell 195cm KPD
Pick 17 Day, Sharp, Rivers 187cm Mids
Pick 22 O'Neil, Taylor, Taheny (if hes been tanking), Schoenberg, Williams, Mid or Fwd with some x factor
Pick 40 Comben, Hilder, Ruck or KPD
Pick 58 mature aged or project player

Pick a DFA.
1 rookie unless someone else appeals at the end of the draft.

I think I read somewhere that next year is meant to be one of the most, if not the most compromised drafts in history.

I think we were smart to get the bulk of our work done this trade period. Next year I predict nearly every team in the comp will be working overtime to grab late round draft picks for their NGA's, F/S's etc.
We're rumoured to have rights to possibly 3 standout players next year - Edwards FS, Borlase NGA and another NGA Player-X - and what if something does happen on the Lukosius front?

Right now, picks we have for 2020 are r1, r2, WB-r2, r4, Carl-r4,** GC-r4, r5, ... so suppose GC and us finish at similar spots to this year, WB finish mid top-8, one of the 3 is a mid r1 draft candidate and the other two are late r1 or r2 candidates we should have enough points to take all 3 with other clubs keeping us honest, maybe going into a small 2021 deficit.

If we did finish really low, we could even draft a top player before all 3 but then go into a large 2021 points deficit. If something does happen on the Luko front, that would likely cost our 2020 r1 and some 2021 picks, which means we'll go into a large 2021 points deficit without having enough 2021 points thus carrying a further deficit into 2022.

We might have enough 2020 points now to cover our likely needs but it would be real interesting if Reid does try to get more 2020 picks.

** Ed. Wikipedia page listed bLoos as holding our 2020 r4 pick whereas it's actually us holding their 2020 r4 pick while still holding our own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2020_AFL_draft&oldid=922323201

Last edited:
What is the final decision on Isiah Dudley? Is he in our NGA? he's been traiuning with them, I think.

We're rumoured to have rights to possibly 3 standout players next year - Edwards FS, Borlase NGA and another NGA Player-X - and what if something does happen on the Lukosius front?

Right now, picks we have for 2020 are r1, r2, WB-r2, GC-r4, r5, ... so suppose GC and us finish at similar spots to this year, WB finish mid top-8, one of the 3 is a mid r1 draft candidate and the other two are late r1 or r2 candidates we should have enough points to take all 3 with other clubs keeping us honest, maybe going into a small 2021 deficit.

If we did finish really low, we could even draft a top player before all 3 but then go into a large 2021 points deficit. If something does happen on the Luko front, that would likely cost our 2020 r1 and some 2021 picks, which means we'll go into a large 2021 points deficit without having enough 2021 points thus carrying a further deficit into 2022.

We might have enough 2020 points now to cover our likely needs but it would be real interesting if Reid does try to get more 2020 picks.
We can use our 1st at the draft and currently have enough points for players picked @ 21, 25, 30 and that's before anyone leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back