Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we still need another project KPF because I am not sure about Himmelberg. I think it would be a good idea to recruit another project KPF just in case Himmelberg switches to a new role or develop well enough as a forward.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They could even be looking to swing one of Ezy/Frampton to a KPD role this year imo.

Himmelberg played some decent footy as a CHB in his draft year I believe, and he's definitely the most disciplined of the two as to not brutalise an opponent in front of goal, giving away a free and 50.

Worth looking at ino

If we make a bid on Green, and I firmly believe we should if he's the best player available, can GWS make a trade, say pick 6 to Geelong for their two first round picks, maybe something going back, then make a bid on Green in the same two minutes? This type of scenario is surely what they will do if Adelaide is demanding too high a price to trade pick 4 on the night, same with anyone else in their way. They must have a back up plan not to use 6 on Green.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I so hope you are right, Fog and Luko as a forward duo would be so good and both offer something different. Fog would be a clone of Walker but the potential to be better I reckon and Luko will be a more power half forward like a Riewoldt type

We can only dream...

Edit: we must be only club that hasn't screwed GC yet, in fact they have screwed us twice (Bock and Greenwood)

I so hope you are right, Fog and Luko as a forward duo would be so good and both offer something different. Fog would be a clone of Walker but the potential to be better I reckon and Luko will be a more power half forward like a Riewoldt type

Keep an eye on Strachan as a project.

Still very raw but showed some nice signs as forward this year. 204cm and 95kg.

He’s a monster that can clunk them and kick very accurately for goal.

It’s 2020 or bust for Himmers - time is now, or players like Strachan may just scoot past him

If we make a bid on Green, and I firmly believe we should if he's the best player available, can GWS make a trade, say pick 6 to Geelong for their two first round picks, maybe something going back, then make a bid on Green in the same two minutes? This type of scenario is surely what they will do if Adelaide is demanding too high a price to trade pick 4 on the night, same with anyone else in their way. They must have a back up plan not to use 6 on Green.

I read a few days ago that they actually go on the clock and can trade but I'm not sure if it's only when they don't have the draft points to pay for the player (eg. they trade up to 4, pick Flanders and then Sydney pick Green and they can't pay). They can take that into deficit next year regardless.

If this is the case I would love to see a bid on Green at 3, and GWS to bail on the idea of two high picks this year.

We could offer them our Future 1st, 28, 35, 45, 53 (these pay for Green) and go to the draft with 4, 6, 23.

Or trade 6 to GC for 15, 20 and go with 4, 15, 20, 23.

GWS would end up with Green and our Future 1st. Lukosius discussions next year would be awkward!

Last edited:
How would Flanders go in the same midfield unit as the Crouch brothers? Would he cop the Poholke treatment and be stuck on a HFF?

This is probably my one little concern with Flanders, is he more of the same in terms of Crouch x2 and Sloane.

By all reports 3-8 of this draft are very even, IMO I think we need to be focusing on elite foot skills, with run and carry. A player who starts probably wing/half back and moves into the midfield. Thus for mine that probably means Ash/Young/Stephens as the players we should be looking at. Serong from what I can gather has a reasonable mix of inside/outside, but similarly is that same size as McHenry/Jones/Gallucci.

Now if Green/Flanders/Serong are rated clearly better than these guys by Ogilvy and co, then by all means we should take them first, but the general feel is that its pretty line ball.

I'd argue our picks from 10-30 have been pretty good the last decade to be fair. OK some have left, but there isn't many misses in there.

McHenry - Pick 16
Fogarty - Pick 12
Gallucci - Pick 15 (jury is out on this one - I admit)
Milera - Pick 11
Doedee - Pick 17
Lever - Pick 14
MCrouch - Pick 23
Smith - Pick 14
Talia - Pick 13
Gunston - Pick 29
P.Davis - Pick 10
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Otten - Pick 27

Apologies if I've missed anyone,

Sam Kerridge was a pick 27
Jarrhan Jacky was pick 30 in the same draft as Danger/Otten

Also, unsure what you were suggesting here but once Green is selected he either goes to Melbourne at 3, or GWS match and pay for him with 1787 points. They can't move around or trade with Melbourne for him at that point. I believe they can trade with other teams to adjust their picks though.

Using their own picks:

6) 1751
40) 429 (returns 393 points in the form of a mid 40s pick)

If they had Geelong's first two picks:

14) 1161
17) 1025 (returns 399 points in the form of a mid 40s pick)

Geelong would have to give them more otherwise they're just helping an opponent.

I read a few days ago that they actually go on the clock and can trade but I'm not sure if it's only when they don't have the draft points to pay for the player (eg. they trade up to 4, pick Flanders and then Sydney pick Green and they can't pay). They can take that into deficit next year regardless.

If this is the case I would love to see a bid on Green at 3, and GWS to bail on the idea of two high picks this year.

We could offer them our Future 1st, 28, 35, 45, 53 (these pay for Green) and go to the draft with 4, 6, 23.

GWS would end up with Green and our Future 1st. Lukosius discussions next year would be awkward!
Interesting to offer our future first for their first this year as the bailout, if Melbourne don't trade we are on the box seat for that. Two top ten mids would be amazing for our 2021 tilt.

GWS are tricky though, they'll probably trade out, pay with points, then trade back to the top ten somehow.

Yeah i liked Strachan? later in the year as well. Had some real aggression and had improved significantly since I first saw him.

With him, Frampton and obrien, I don't think we need really need an 18 yr old unless we don't see Frampton as a ruck at all.

Is there a real possibility that GWS don't match an early pick for Green?

And...is he genuinely the 3rd best player in this Draft behind Rowell and Anderson, or in the mix with 3 or 4 others.
GWS will match any bid for Green, not even debatable. Projects as possibly the best player in the draft and you're getting a 20% discount what's to think about?

If Green wasn't aligned to GWS' Academy and the GCS didn't hold picks 1 & 2 he would be every chance to go No.1 IMO.

If it was down to me I'd absolutely, positively take him over Rowell and close to line ball with Anderson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our future 1st could be a top 4 pick, why would we give them a top 4 pick PLUS 4 other selections??

We also wouldn't trade for GC 15 & 20 for our Pick 6 seeing as Saints traded Pick 6 in the first place for 12 & 18

Our future 1st could be a top 4 pick, why would we give them a top 4 pick PLUS 4 other selections??

We also wouldn't trade for GC 15 & 20 for our Pick 6 seeing as Saints traded Pick 6 in the first place for 12 & 18
Our future 1st is unlikely to be a top 4 - even if we finish bottom 4, there's JUH tied to the dogs who could be top 2 plus (Mutineer please step in here) Hollands who is in the running too by all reports, so it slips to about 6 as a best case.

I'd be more than willing to trade 2020/1 for 6 at this point - get a Young and Serong / Kemp, I'm on board!

You'd love to be Melbourne in that case - Anderson might slip your way

If Rowell and Anderson are that close mates and given they are also both rated as amongst the best 3 in the comp, it would be monumentally stupid for the Suns to screw this up and take Green.

Not that Green is bad or less than Rowell and Anderson or not a top 1 or 2, but in terms of the Suns being able to keep players together up at the Gold Coast.

This is my View

OK you wont get,Rowel,Anderson,Green,and maybe Flanders,That leaves Serong,, Stephens or any other Midfielder How do you fit them in the side
with the likes of Crouch x 2 Sloane,Milera,Jones,McHenry,Gibbs,Gallucci,Polhoke,Knights,

Thats why you should recruit a KPD( Mcasey) Then if available Kemp Stephens Bergman,Gould Ash Day
People have said they would like Hutcheson,Partington,as Rookies if so, throw 2 more Midfielders into the Fray

Stephens and Bergman are ideal in our slow side getting them is the problem

If Rowell and Anderson are that close mates and given they are also both rated as amongst the best 3 in the comp, it would be monumentally stupid for the Suns to screw this up and take Green.

Not that Green is bad or less than Rowell and Anderson or not a top 1 or 2, but in terms of the Suns being able to keep players together up at the Gold Coast.
I'll give it 4 years before one of them asks for a trade back to vic.

I'll give it 4 years before one of them asks for a trade back to vic.

One will possibly out perform the other and be offered a grandfather offer from a Vic Club, imo.

TBH, the Gold Coast would be an awesome place to go as an 18 year old, get paid decent money for a kid their age, party lifestyle, the sun and surf everyday and then come back to Victoria as you say and focus on their footy and set up the next biggest contract of their life.

If I was 18 and a good player, its what I would love to do. (lol).

1) I suspect our first pick next year will be around 12 due to FS/Academy picks. Also I don't think our drop off will be huge, in fact when you look at the best 22 next year I think I almost prefer it to 2019 assuming no injuries.

2) What does the Saints trade have to do with anything!?!? It's like people comparing pick 4 to 9 and 19. It makes zero sense. Having said that it's a very similar trade and steak knives would make it fair with back ended picks. You do what makes sense for you on draft day. Only Ogilvie will know the difference between 6 and 15+20. Precedence really makes no sense. You can only work with the picks you and the club you're trading with have.

This is probably my one little concern with Flanders, is he more of the same in terms of Crouch x2 and Sloane.

By all reports 3-8 of this draft are very even, IMO I think we need to be focusing on elite foot skills, with run and carry. A player who starts probably wing/half back and moves into the midfield. Thus for mine that probably means Ash/Young/Stephens as the players we should be looking at. Serong from what I can gather has a reasonable mix of inside/outside, but similarly is that same size as McHenry/Jones/Gallucci.

Now if Green/Flanders/Serong are rated clearly better than these guys by Ogilvy and co, then by all means we should take them first, but the general feel is that its pretty line ball.

Sam Kerridge was a pick 27
Jarrhan Jacky was pick 30 in the same draft as Danger/Otten
You can never have too many A grade mids though. Especially ones who can play forward like Flanders. Also, Crouch may leave at the end of next year too so our midfield could look quite different in 12 months time.

Our future 1st is unlikely to be a top 4 - even if we finish bottom 4, there's JUH tied to the dogs who could be top 2 plus (Mutineer please step in here) Hollands who is in the running too by all reports, so it slips to about 6 as a best case.

I'd be more than willing to trade 2020/1 for 6 at this point - get a Young and Serong / Kemp, I'm on board!

Yeah i'd be on board with swapping our Next years 1st for GWS Pick 6 this year, but not the additional 4 picks you mentioned.

I'd be happy with not having a 1st round pick at all next year so GC and Pies don't come lurking. Keep Brouch, give GC our 2021 1st for Luko and tell the Pies to take the comp pick for Grundy, yeeeeooow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back