Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Rowell and Anderson are that close mates and given they are also both rated as amongst the best 3 in the comp, it would be monumentally stupid for the Suns to screw this up and take Green.

Not that Green is bad or less than Rowell and Anderson or not a top 1 or 2, but in terms of the Suns being able to keep players together up at the Gold Coast.

Thing is GWS will always match.. so basically they are just doing it to screw them

Yeah i'd be on board with swapping our Next years 1st for GWS Pick 6 this year, but not the additional 4 picks you mentioned.

I'd be happy with not having a 1st round pick at all next year so GC and Pies don't come lurking. Keep Brouch, give GC our 2021 1st for Luko and tell the Pies to take the comp pick for Grundy, yeeeeooow!
agree with all this...except I wasn't the one who suggested the other 4 picks ;)

You can never have too many A grade mids though. Especially ones who can play forward like Flanders. Also, Crouch may leave at the end of next year too so our midfield could look quite different in 12 months time.
I agree - if Cripps is available, you take him, even if your midfield is Collingwood's...then you trade our the worst one you have, or just bat really deep and rest them up forward

Just going to run a spellcheck over this ...

This is my view.

OK, assuming you won't get Rowell, Anderson, Green, or even Flanders, we're left with Serong, Stephens and all the remaining midfielders. But how will you fit them in the side with the likes of Brad and Matt Crouch, Sloane, Milera, Jones, McHenry, Gibbs, Gallucci, Polhoke, and Knights?

That's why you should recruit a KPD (McAsey), and then, if available, one of Kemp, Stephens, Bergman, Gould, Ash or Day.

People have said they would like Hutcheson or Partington as Rookies - if so, throw two more midfielders into the fray.

Stephens and Bergman would be ideal for our slow side - but getting them is the problem.

Last edited:
1) I suspect our first pick next year will be around 12 due to FS/Academy picks. Also I don't think our drop off will be huge, in fact when you look at the best 22 next year I think I almost prefer it to 2019 assuming no injuries.

2) What does the Saints trade have to do with anything!?!? It's like people comparing pick 4 to 9 and 19. It makes zero sense. Having said that it's a very similar trade and steak knives would make it fair with back ended picks. You do what makes sense for you on draft day. Only Ogilvie will know the difference between 6 and 15+20. Precedence really makes no sense. You can only work with the picks you and the club you're trading with have.

1) I think that is a highly optimistic assessment there, but certainly be happy to be proven wrong.

2) The Saints trade has everything to do with it because Pick 6 has been in play already, in THIS trade period. They got Pick 12 & 18, so i think most would agree that 15 & 20 would be off the mark, particularly if those picks get pushed back. Come draft night i'd say a few will be scrambling to get into the Top 8.

For me it's certainly a case of Top 3 in Rowell, Anderson & Green, and then another 5 standouts, and then reasonably even after that to the top 20.

F**k pick 6, it has the worst record in the top 20. Pick 6 players averages close to 20% less games than pick 20.

Peter Motley originally drafted by Sydney. Saddest story
Sampi Weapons and assault charges
Yarran meth
Rohan badly broken leg
Conca Series of serious injuries
Wingard Playstation
Scharenberg knees
Marchbank cant get close to a full season
Francis Mental Health
Stephenson gambling

they should just skip it

1) I think that is a highly optimistic assessment there, but certainly be happy to be proven wrong.

2) The Saints trade has everything to do with it because Pick 6 has been in play already, in THIS trade period. They got Pick 12 & 18, so i think most would agree that 15 & 20 would be off the mark, particularly if those picks get pushed back. Come draft night i'd say a few will be scrambling to get into the Top 8.

For me it's certainly a case of Top 3 in Rowell, Anderson & Green, and then another 5 standouts, and then reasonably even after that to the top 20.

But what can you do? Tell GC to go get pick 12 and we’ll talk then?

6 for 15 and 20 is fine with steak knives assuming in Ogilvies head the player at 6 is not as good as the combined players at 15 and 20.

Keep in mind in my scenario we didn’t trade out 4. I’m quite ok with 4, 15, 20, 23 considering we might draft 6 kids.

They could even be looking to swing one of Ezy/Frampton to a KPD role this year imo.

Himmelberg played some decent footy as a CHB in his draft year I believe, and he's definitely the most disciplined of the two as to not brutalise an opponent in front of goal, giving away a free and 50.

Worth looking at ino
I actual have a good feeling about turning Ezy into a successful chb, like you said he did play back there in his junior years and did quite well as well so definitely possible.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keep an eye on Strachan as a project.

Still very raw but showed some nice signs as forward this year. 204cm and 95kg.

He’s a monster that can clunk them and kick very accurately for goal.

It’s 2020 or bust for Himmers - time is now, or players like Strachan may just scoot past him
Yeah very good point on Strachan I often keep forgetting about him but his second half of the year was impressive as a forward. Hopefully he can continue to develop to another level. Also not sure it's do or die for Himmelberg just yet but definitely had to start showing he can go another level.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree we should at least bid on Green.

What is the pace of Deven Robertson like. I like his balance and desire to win the ball. He does remind me of Tom Mitchell. Robertson looks a very accomplished footballer.

The other player who I keep reading about is Brodie Kemp. Very little vision that I can find but there are plenty of posters here who follow the draft closely. Some of his write ups are impressive and he is 193cms tall.
I know he has a torn ACL but for those who have seen a lot of him is he worth the punt of waiting a year? Sounds an interesting prospect with a large upside.

Even crop of midfielders after the first few standouts, really not sure what we will do.

Our future 1st is unlikely to be a top 4 - even if we finish bottom 4, there's JUH tied to the dogs who could be top 2 plus (Mutineer please step in here) Hollands who is in the running too by all reports, so it slips to about 6 as a best case.

I'd be more than willing to trade 2020/1 for 6 at this point - get a Young and Serong / Kemp, I'm on board!

Who is Hollands tied to (and how)? Has come up a couple of times and I can't find the answer. Like what I've seen of him and wouldn't mind the Crows having a look next year.

Who is Hollands tied to (and how)? Has come up a couple of times and I can't find the answer. Like what I've seen of him and wouldn't mind the Crows having a look next year.
He's not tied to anyone, He's a Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers player from the Wadonga area, father Ben played a few games only for Richmond before starring for West Adelaide in the SANFL and SA in interstate rep games. I'm anticipating he'll go right at the pointy end of next year's draft if he franks the great promise he showed in his under age year in his top age year.

How would Flanders go in the same midfield unit as the Crouch brothers? Would he cop the Poholke treatment and be stuck on a HFF? Also, what's his defensive running like?

Shouldn't be an issue, he will start across half forward with runs on the ball initially but command a first choice spot in the middle as time goes by. He's far superior to Poholke.

One things for sure, that 3 to 10 is so even. Is it Flanders, Serong or Ash. We should definitely try and get more top 10 to 15 picks but I wouldn’t trade next years unless we can get a top 5 back. Thilthorpe would suit our needs perfectly.

We got to think of the future as Walker, Sloane, Talia won’t be there or playing as well in 3 years. We aren’t going to rebuild in one year. We need to stockpile as many draft picks as possible.

I hope we can trade with GWS and another club to get Gould, he is what we need and would let Laird play his natural game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shouldn't be an issue, he will start across half forward with runs on the ball initially but command a first choice spot in the middle as time goes by. He's far superior to Poholke.
And he's very much more the 18 year old Brad Crouch than the 18 yearold Matt Crouch.

And he's very much more the 18 year old Brad Crouch than the 18 yearold Matt Crouch.

Yea fair call indeed, got rough edges and runs on the board at a junior level. His game will translate to AFL pretty well. I'd go as far as saying he'll be one of the best performed first year players no matter which side he goes to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back