Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more kicking the can down the road in regards to our draft picks please. That's part of the reason we haven't had as many gun youngsters coming through as we'd like. Top sides can afford to do it, but we're not in that position. Feels like we've ended up with very little out of the Lever trade.
No I'm not saying trade any of this year's draft stock into next year deliberately - Clubs will probably try to trade next year's stock for this year's - but that because of the large number of players tied to academies/FSs, if you don't have early picks, your'e likely to have to trawl through the dregs somewhat.

I know we are all theorizing the upcoming draft using current hand or possible selections post trade week, with an obvious strong focus on securing SA kids like Gould, Stephens, Day, Schoenberg, Taheny etc - but how about a scenario like last year where we completely go outside SA,

Working on the basis we end up post draft week with something in the area of picks 8 / 12 / 15 / 20 / 30 (after trading Keath, Greenwood, Knight, Jenkins, Betts, Gibbs and trading up/down and shaking it all around);

how about:

Pick 8: Brodie Kemp (MID - Inside/Outside) VIC C ; 192cm / 82kg
Coming off an ACL and unlikely to play any senior footy in 2020, this bloke could even be available at our 2nd selection. If Lachie Ash is available, I'd take him first - but Kemp offers real long term value. TALL Midfielders that can run and accumulate don't grow on trees.
MEDIA COMPARISON: Marcus Bontempelli / Elliot Yeo

Pick 12:
Deven Robertson (MID - Inside/Outside) - WA ; 182cm / 80kg
Magnet. Larke Medalist. Get him in. Quality is Quality, I don't ever agree with this 'we have enough inside mids' argument, what if his best is better than what we already have? Plus and it's a big PLUS - Can and will play Round 1.
MEDIA COMPARISON: Adam Treloar / Lachie Neale

Pick 15: Dylan Williams (UTIL) - VIC M ; 185cm / 79kg

Was touted as potential #1 pick this time last year, was a little down this year but I like what I see. Could end up being a forward a back or even out and out midfielder.
MEDIA COMPARISON: Steve Johnson / Michael Walters

Pick 20: Cody Weightman (FWD) - VIC C ; 177cm /73kg

This years hungry hungry hungry little key forward with pace. I'm already picturing him, McHenry and Stengle frothing at the mouth, just pouncing on every backmen in the league and dominating the scoreboard.
MEDIA COMPARISON: Charlie Cameron / Ben Ainsworth

Pick 30: Jeremy Sharp (MID/DEF) - WA ; 187cm / 79kg

There are always quality mids that slide through to the 2nd round and make you question, 'How the hell didn't someone grab him earlier???' Sharp is another quick wingman who loves to run and was one of not many to claim back to back under 18 All Australians. In terms of 'Moneyball selections' Could he be the much cheaper Lachie Ash that comes with almost as much upside long term whilst allowing us to go for another option early in the draft? Maybe.
MEDIA COMPARISON: Brodie Smith / Jasper Pittard

Of course -

I should add that my preference would be to get a mixture of SA and non-SA (because they are better value at the time of selection) players, but interesting to look at.

I hope we have at least one possibly two of these in our sights, 2 if Kemp is one of them. Tall defenders a definite list need IMO and aside from the obvious talents that Kemp brings to the table the other 3 also offer plenty of versatility.

Worrell and De Koning the most likely with our current range of picks, Worrell my preference but happy with any of them.

See Kevin Sheehan’s comments on the NAB League Boys players named in the Tall Defenders grouping for the 2019 NAB AFL Draft Combine below.

SAM DE KONING (Dandenong Stingrays)
200cm, 85kg
Tall defender who is athletic, mobile and can move forward to impact the game. His intercept marking is a feature of his game down back, where he also shows plenty of dash. An excellent decision-maker on when to mark or spoil, he was a consistent performer for Vic Country in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, earning NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours after averaging 12.5 disposals and 4.8 marks. His brother Tom is with Carlton and his father Terry played for the Western Bulldogs.

BRODIE KEMP (Bendigo Pioneers)
192cm, 82kg
Tall defender/forward who excelled down back in the early rounds of the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships before going forward and providing a dangerous marking target in the last two matches. He reads the play exceptionally well in either role with his overhead marking elite. He had an outstanding 2019 Under-18 Championships, averaging 20 disposals and 6.5 marks. His precision kicking was also a feature in him winning 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. He ruptured his ACL in a College game after the Championships but is on the road to a full recovery.

FISCHER McASEY (Sandringham Dragons)
195cm, 86kg
Tall defender whose intercept marking was a feature of his 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing for Vic Metro. He also showed precise decision-making ability on when to spoil or mark and controlled his position throughout the Championships, winning 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. A one-touch player, he averaged 14.5 disposals and 6.5 marks to win Vic Metro’s MVP. Also shown ability at school and NAB League level to go forward and be a dangerous marking target.

JOSH WORRELL (Sandringham Dragons)
195cm, 74kg
Left-footed tall defender with very good closing speed and repeat efforts. A versatile type who played back, midfield and forward in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and showed strength overhead and sound goalkicking technique. He averaged 10.8 disposals, 3.8 marks and 1.8 goals across the Championships, including kicking four goals against Western Australia. He injured his shoulder late in the year and missed the NAB League finals.

Hey all, don't want to intrude, just wondering if you might be able to explain what you see as your list needs for the upcoming draft? Already seen someone mention tall defenders above, anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Top end mids
Key defenders
Need another ruck
Another tall utility would be nice (assuming we don't get Francis)

Hey all, don't want to intrude, just wondering if you might be able to explain what you see as your list needs for the upcoming draft? Already seen someone mention tall defenders above, anything else?

Thanks in advance.
Depends where our club sees us in the next 2-3 years

If they think the core of Tex Talia Sloane Lynch Crouch Crouch Laird Smith etc can still get us deep in September then we need pace and pressure around the ball and up forward to complement our robust but slowish established group. Eg add players like Daniel Rioli and Liam Baker and Shai Bolton.

If they think the core of Tex Talia Sloane Lynch Crouch Crouch Laird Smith etc is mostly cooked then we need to start developing at least 2 key defenders and 1 key forward.

My best guess is that we hedge our bets because not bottoming our is our number one goal. So we draft one KPD, trade in another as a backup, and draft a couple of running players.

Thanks in advance.

Midfield primarily. Especially top-end talent.
Key defender in a shutdown mold.

I wouldn't say anything else stands out as a genuine need right now. Key forwards are raw, but there are two promising ones there (and I'd be hesistant to add a third as my bet is the game moves away from 3 tall forwards). Ruck looks very settled right now, likewise outside midfielders and small forwards as both have a good collection of raw prospects. More intercept leaning KPDs seem also pretty ok with Butts on the list.

The key is firmly in talent, especially later on in the draft where high ceiling/high risks are probably the best path to go.

Midfield primarily. Especially top-end talent.
Key defender in a shutdown mold.

I wouldn't say anything else stands out as a genuine need right now. Key forwards are raw, but there are two promising ones there (and I'd be hesistant to add a third as my bet is the game moves away from 3 tall forwards). Ruck looks very settled right now, likewise outside midfielders and small forwards as both have a good collection of raw prospects. More intercept leaning KPDs seem also pretty ok with Butts on the list.

The key is firmly in talent, especially later on in the draft where high ceiling/high risks are probably the best path to go.
I think we still need some more pace, however if Hamill and Jones get 15-20 games next year, then it might start to look a bit different.

As you said, top end mids (inside/outside), KPD (unless we get Francis) and another KPF. If we get a small, fast defender too (Saad like), that would be a bonus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we have at least one possibly two of these in our sights, 2 if Kemp is one of them. Tall defenders a definite list need IMO and aside from the obvious talents that Kemp brings to the table the other 3 also offer plenty of versatility.

Worrell and De Koning the most likely with our current range of picks, Worrell my preference but happy with any of them.

See Kevin Sheehan’s comments on the NAB League Boys players named in the Tall Defenders grouping for the 2019 NAB AFL Draft Combine below.

BRODIE KEMP (Bendigo Pioneers)

192cm, 82kg
Tall defender/forward who excelled down back in the early rounds of the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships before going forward and providing a dangerous marking target in the last two matches. He reads the play exceptionally well in either role with his overhead marking elite. He had an outstanding 2019 Under-18 Championships, averaging 20 disposals and 6.5 marks. His precision kicking was also a feature in him winning 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. He ruptured his ACL in a College game after the Championships but is on the road to a full recovery.
The more I read about Kemp the more I want us to take him. Apart from Anderson he seems to be the one that most fills a need for us. He obviously wont't play in his first year but he would have 12 months in our system for his recovery and by the start of 2021 would be ready to go. Similar to when we picked up Danger, we knew we couldn't play him for 12 months but the wait was worth it.

The more I read about Kemp the more I want us to take him. Apart from Anderson he seems to be the one that most fills a need for us. He obviously wont't play in his first year but he would have 12 months in our system for his recovery and by the start of 2021 would be ready to go. Similar to when we picked up Danger, we knew we couldn't play him for 12 months but the wait was worth it.
Wonder if getting an ACL so early on could make him a more careful player so less likely to injure himself in future (a silver lining of his injury) and we lose nothing by him being injured and unavailable for an extended period should be pick him.

Wonder if getting an ACL so early on could make him a more careful player so less likely to injure himself in future (a silver lining of his injury) and we lose nothing by him being injured and unavailable for an extended period should be pick him.
Fair chance he would have played most if not all of his first season in the SANFL anyway if we did draft him and he wasn't injured. He would be back up and running early next year so would be able to join in to some of the trainings on a modified program. Then by mid to late year he would be nearly ready to have a run in the SANFL.

Doesn't it make him more likely to have another ACL?

Don't know ... does it? He's young, maybe he can strengthen his injured knee enough that that injury has little effect in the long run. Assume Hamish and club medicos will weigh up the risks (v. benefits) should they take a punt on him.

After an ACL injury, studies show there's an increased likelihood of injuring the ACL in your opposite leg for some reason.

Don't know ... does it? He's young, maybe he can strengthen his injured knee enough that that injury has little effect in the long run. Assume Hamish and club medicos will weigh up the risks (v. benefits) should they take a punt on him.

Yep, much higher risk of reinjury, in fact more likely to injure the other side as well.

I would be cautious using such a high pick on a player with previous injury.

Some guys such as Ben Rutten don’t ever have another injury, other will eg Jake Lever.

The concern then becomes do they lose agility and explosiveness as we saw happen with Otten and Walker.

Will Gould at 4??

Knightmare is drunk
If he has the capability to move into the midfield, then he is worth considering at 4. A 191cm/98kg mid who can kick 50-60m would be gold in the modern game.

However, if we think he will only ever be a defender, then no way should 4 be burned on him.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks in advance.

Well based on the constant media reports that just about every Crows player will be leaving the club in the off-season (except 14), then our list needs will be just about every position on the field

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Notable movers (from August Update)

Flanders 10 into 6
Robertson 9 out to 11
D Stephens 13 into 10
Weightman 16 into 12
Henry 12 out to 15
Gould 15 out to 17
De Koning 19 out to 22
Taylor 21 out to 29
Jones 24 out to 30
Day 25 into 18