Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To broker the deal the recruiting manager identifies the talent like ports recruitment manager advised he wanted rozeee as he was the best talent and couldn't be missed so make it happen

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s all he does? He just brokers deals, he doesn’t manage the list?

How do you know Ogilvie didn’t want to trade up and Reid couldn’t make it happen?

Whose call was it to do the pick swap with Carlton? Ogilvie or Reid’s?

You’ve got such a bone with Ogilvie because he didn’t pick Burton, because you know him, you can’t think straight. On one hand you admit the higher the pick the better percentages of a player making it. Next minute you bag Ogilvie ignoring the 5 lost picks and the lack of top 10 picks. You blame him for not winning a flag for 20 years even though he’s only been recruiting manager since 2012 and lost 5 quality picks to begin with. You whinge about only being competitive and then back in senior competitive players who are past it.

You are all over the shot.

Anyway, threads derailed enough.

That’s all he does? He just brokers deals, he doesn’t manage the list?

How do you know Ogilvie didn’t want to trade up and Reid couldn’t make it happen?

Whose call was it to do the pick swap with Carlton? Ogilvie or Reid’s?

You’ve got such a bone with Ogilvie because he didn’t pick Burton, because you know him, you can’t think straight. On one hand you admit the higher the pick the better percentages of a player making it. Next minute you bag Ogilvie ignoring the 5 lost picks and the lack of top 10 picks. You blame him for not winning a flag for 20 years even though he’s only been recruiting manager since 2012 and lost 5 quality picks to begin with. You whinge about only being competitive and then back in senior competitive players who are past it.

You are all over the shot.

Anyway, threads derailed enough.

Would they both in the second round? Bicks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Finlay although the shorter of the two at 192cm 88kg I think he's the one most likely to be off the board first, I'd be surprised if both weren't available in the 2nd round, probably 3rd round more likely.

Carlton - Pick 1 - never going to be traded this year
Gold Coast Pick 2/3 - might have been an opportunity but not sure the price asked or if a price was asked
St Kilda - Pick 4 - wanted one of the King bros and wouldnt have budged unless upwards ie 2/3

Pick 5 was the only opportunity Port took it

Hate to see the draft they weren't happy with so many players missed dominating and our top 2 picks finding SANFL body pressure too much.
re last year, it is interesting to look at some of the players taken around and after Jones to see how things have stacked up so far. Jones has done some things well but looks light on and has struggled against the bigger bodies and maybe has not yet stacked up as well in comparison to others outside the top 7 superdraft kids so far. Contrast that to Butters who looks ace. Hately has come in and done well each time. Caldwell has not yet played. Quaynor has come in and looked the part for collingwood - showed some real poise last week when the pies were under pressure I thought. Nick blakey has been awesome this year and looks like he will be a great player for years to come (although we never had a genuine chance to get him) and Jordan clark for Geelong has looked like he belongs at AFL level. It seems like we are prepared to take kids on that we know will take longer to become AFL players but ones that when they do, are generally going to make it..just hoping that Jones will be one of those kids

It seems like we are prepared to take kids on that we know will take longer to become AFL players but ones that when they do, are generally going to make it..just hoping that Jones will be one of those kids
I think this is a fair evaluation of Ogilvies methods. Looks for the long termer

Nobody can say its right or wrong. I personally see some things in Jones I really like.

I think the wider issue is the narrative by the AFL and ''draft experts'' of a kid coming in and impacting a side immediately. Aussie Rules isnt built like that

It seems like we are prepared to take kids on that we know will take longer to become AFL players but ones that when they do, are generally going to make it..just hoping that Jones will be one of those kids

Very true.

Ogilvie seems to pick with a lot of foresight, which when coupled with our tendency to develop draftees in the sanfl for 2-3 years, makes our draft initially seem underwhelming compared to the immediate impact others have.

This may be why so many of his late picks end up blossoming, in that he sees what they may become and works toward it.

I'd love to have one of those instant impact draftees, but our drafting and player development just isn't conducive to throwing a kid in the deep end.

Very true.

Ogilvie seems to pick with a lot of foresight, which when coupled with our tendency to develop draftees in the sanfl for 2-3 years, makes our draft initially seem underwhelming compared to the immediate impact others have.

This may be why so many of his late picks end up blossoming, in that he sees what they may become and works toward it.

I'd love to have one of those instant impact draftees, but our drafting and player development just isn't conducive to throwing a kid in the deep end.
yep..but make no mistake if our pick ends up pick 2 and we take Noah Anderson, expect immediate impact next year :)

Hate to see the draft they weren't happy with so many players missed dominating and our top 2 picks finding SANFL body pressure too much.
In McHenry's case this is utter nonsense, he was in a collision that came very close to tunnelling and landed awkwardly injuring his back, when incidents like that happen it doesn't matter whether you're 90kg veteran or a 70kg 1st year player the outcome is generally the same.........previous to that Neddy was having no issues at all mixing it with the "big" boys.

And incidentally using the word "dominating" is laying it on a tad thick and so many? Aside from Jordan Clark and Xavier Duursma who have been good and Zak Butters who shown plenty of promise who are the "so many" others that were available to us that weren't over agers or mature agers that have been "dominating" as you put it?

Lol I'm almost giving up on Anderson. Probably gonna be pick 3. Melbourne seem to have written the year off and are on the tank now.

Pick 4 if GC get a priority pick
Think you're on the money there though I really hope the AFL rule out the priority pick unless it's at the end of the 1st round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep..but make no mistake if our pick ends up pick 2 and we take Noah Anderson, expect immediate impact next year :)
I think Serong and Flanders will definitely make an impact up forward in season 1 as well before moving into the midfield later. I actually think there's quite a few in the 1st round that can make an impact given the opportunities.

In McHenry's case this is utter nonsense, he was in a collision that came very close to tunnelling and landed awkwardly injuring his back, when incidents like that happen it doesn't matter whether you're 90kg veteran or a 70kg 1st year player the outcome is generally the same.........previous to that Neddy was having no issues at all mixing it with the "big" boys.

And incidentally using the word "dominating" is laying it on a tad thick and so many? Aside from Jordan Clark and Xavier Duursma who have been good and Zak Butters who shown plenty of promise who are the "so many" others that were available to us that weren't over agers or mature agers that have been "dominating" as you put it?
Stack ,Blakey and Thomas another 3 that as first years doing alright don't you think just off top of my head.
Watching Quaynor etc competing well in AFL whilst seeing Jones has something not setting world on fire SANFL and very ordinary on Sat.
Looking at what McHenry produce as 1 st round pick in SANFL up till injury and then see Woodcock as rookie pick from memory dominate our kick goals against our defence doesn't yell future star.
Of course the obvious is not all kids are going to become instant AFL players but all have to be honest that with our best bag of picks by long way going into last years draft did not achieve what we were hoping for.
And at time I could not and still not believe picking 2 smalls in current game .
Everyone avoids points raised re 2 previous drafts especially Gallucci -- Phoholke drafting whilst we all still hope very apparent might have 1 ok player at best.

I think Serong and Flanders will definitely make an impact up forward in season 1 as well before moving into the midfield later. I actually think there's quite a few in the 1st round that can make an impact given the opportunities.
I will have to defer to you there as I have not seen anywhere near enough of these kids. But even if we have pick 3 or 4, it sounds like there are still some fantastic kids likely to be there at our pick. I am also guessing that your opinion on this draft might differ from Ricky Nixon (toot's) opinion that it is the weakest in 20 years!!!

Stack ,Blakey and Thomas another 3 that as first years doing alright don't you think just off top of my head.
Watching Quaynor etc competing well in AFL whilst seeing Jones has something not setting world on fire SANFL and very ordinary on Sat.
Looking at what McHenry produce as 1 st round pick in SANFL up till injury and then see Woodcock as rookie pick from memory dominate our kick goals against our defence doesn't yell future star.
Of course the obvious is not all kids are going to become instant AFL players but all have to be honest that with our best bag of picks by long way going into last years draft did not achieve what we were hoping for.
And at time I could not and still not believe picking 2 smalls in current game .
Everyone avoids points raised re 2 previous drafts especially Gallucci -- Phoholke drafting whilst we all still hope very apparent might have 1 ok player at best.
For starters Blakey and Thomas were unavailable to us, Blakey F/S and Thomas Kangas NGA, and you might have missed it but we did put in a bid for Tarryn Thomas which the Kangas instantly matched with the pick we eventually took Chayce Jones with.

Sydney Stack was passed over by every club, every round of the National Draft and every round of the National Rookie Draft because of serious off field issues throughout his junior career. And you know they're serious when WA Talent Manager Mick Ablett makes reference to them on a National Television broadcast. Now I'm sure our recruiting staff and all other AFL club's recruiters would have had intimate knowledge of exactly what Stack's issues were and decided the risks were too great. Richmond took the chance to take him on "trial" after getting special permission from the AFL for him to train with them from December in the lead up to the Pre-season Supplemental Selection Period on a try before you buy basis basically before adding him to their rookie list in February. In that "try before you buy" period Stack actually lived with Damien Hardwick and his family.

Judging draftees after one pre-season and midway through their very first year on a list is absolutely inane but carry on by all means if that's your thing..

Last edited:

just watching the richmond GWS game..I suppose Sydney Stack can be added to the list...he is having some season so far

Edit..I didn't see your comment above re his issues, but wow, richmond being rewarded for taking that risk

just watching the richmond GWS game..I suppose Sydney Stack can be added to the list...he is having some season so far
See above, Stack was never an option for us or any other clubs at the time of the National or Rookie draft, and bar for the new Pre-season Supplemental Selection Period that allowed Richmond the "try before you buy" option after getting permission for him to train with them in the December to February period he wouldn't be on an AFL list today.

Last edited:

Edit..I didn't see your comment above re his issues, but wow, richmond being rewarded for taking that risk
People also forget we also put a bid on the talented Pies F/S KPP Will Kelly who showed during his draft year he was equally at home playing CHB or CHF...the pick we then used on Will Hamill. You won't be seeing young Will Kelly in the AFL for several years either I wouldn't think while he puts on size and development but he'll be a player make no mistake.

You are kidding aren't you .
Shown below are our top picks .
Gallucci -- Like but nothing really yet
Poholke - Good SANFL player with no outstanding assets -- delist if not this year next
Our 3rd pick that year already delisted
================
Fogarty -- We all wanted, we all hope but simply not showing anything
McPherson --- Lots of injuries which was history, on park currently looks ok but well covered in his position.
========================
In Super draft full of SA championship players
Jones --- One of highest picks we have had. Looks ok small and shown not ready yet, can only hope.
( no need to list players could have had already successful.}
McHenry -- Already said my views on this selection. Very small and slight player with skills shown as endeavour, tackling and fitness levels who already wasn't able body wise to handle SANFL level and in 3rd week out.
Whether Ned becomes a player or not really seems strange that we picked 2 smalls and giving away our 3rd pick in a draft that already many playing good AFL footy.
I was talking 1st round picks . There is nothing to suggest Jones and Mchenry aren’t great picks , what’s your evidence that they aren’t ??!!

Isnt Findlay more of a 3rd tall defender, whereas Hilder is genuine KPD size?

We definitely need a replacement for Talia in the next 2-3 years at most. I’d be going for Hilder, potentially at our 2nd pick or is that reaching for him?
Prob a reach , he reminds me of Ben Rutten a bit and that turned out ok but was rookie list

All these players we could have had instead of Chayce Jones are?

I can only see 2 that have played good AFL footy already Zak Butters and Jordan Clark.

These many players selected AFTER Ned playing good AFL footy that were available to us are?

Xavier Duursma is the only one standing out at this stage and maybe Jack Ross until his injury.

Xavier Duursma - 15 games - dropped this week
Noah Answerth - 19 year old - over ager - 10 games
Marty Hore -23 year old mature age - 12 games
Matty Parker - 23 year old mature age - 15 games
Liam Stocker - 5 games
Tom Sparrow - 2 games
Jack Ross - 5 games
James Rowbottom - 5 games
Curtis Taylor - 1 game
Brett Bewley - 24 year old mature ager - 5 games
Jarrod Cameron - 4 games - West Coast Academy thus unavailable
Bailey Scott - 4 games - Roos F/S thus unavailable
Nick Hind - 4 games - 24 year old mature ager
Will Hayes - 5 games - 24 year old mature ager
Rob Young - 3 games - 24 year old mature ager
Lachlan Schultz - 3 games 21 year old mature ager
Justin McInerney - 1 game
Brayden Ham - 2 games 19 year old over ager
And you don’t judge them on their first season anyway ... Andy otten , Luke Dunstan , Jack Graham , Lewy Taylor just ones off top of my head with outstanding first seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back