2019 Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

If we have a good run with injury we'll finish anywhere from 6-12. Our best 22 is very decent but below that we've got a lot of young blokes 18-22 without much experience. Also midfield depth will be tested of Cerra and Brayshaw don't take their games to a higher level.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The big question mark over Freo's rebuild
Marc McGowan
Oct 22, 2018 8:25PM

624736-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Nat Fyfe needs some more help in the midfield in 2019
Related
WHO IS Fremantle's Jack Redden?

The Dockers will ask themselves that question after a dramatic NAB AFL Trade Period that should solve their forward woes but exacerbated the midfield problem.

Redden's strong campaign this year was part of the reason West Coast's questioned on-ball brigade – at least in the pre-season – was instead a strength in its march to the premiership.

Fresh Fremantle additions Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb, both of whom the club tried unsuccessfully to woo two years ago, deliver Ross Lyon's side a genuine one-two punch in attack.

Hogan, in particular, will carry the Matthew Pavlich successor burden, but raising the bar on the past two seasons won't be hard.

Cam McCarthy's 25 and 19 goals led the Dockers' key forwards in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

The key defensive stocks are well looked after, too, with Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, Luke Ryan, Griffin Logue, Taylin Duman and swingman Brennan Cox.

Cox also joins McCarthy, Matt Taberner and Hugh Dixon as a tall forward option.

On the flipside, Fremantle's already-middling midfield suddenly faces a significant test with dual Doig medallist Lachie Neale departing for Brisbane.

This makes for concerning reading for Freo fans, given the heavy reliance on Neale, who averaged 30.3 disposals (15 contested), 7.1 clearances, 4.2 tackles and 3.5 inside 50s this year.

As an example, the Eagles and Melbourne had six players above 200 centre attendances, while Collingwood and Richmond (minus Shaun Grigg) boasted seven with 155 or more and Greater Western Sydney six.

Among non-finalists, Adelaide managed at least 175 attendances from six footballers.

Making the Dockers' short rotation more worrying is that superstar captain Nat Fyfe's season ended early for the second time in three seasons and ever-reliable David Mundy turns 33 in July.

Their last finals campaign in 2015 paints a clear picture of where they need to improve if they expect to be a surprise finalist next year.

Fremantle's differentials by year
STATISTIC 2015 2016 2017 2018
Disposals +20.3 (4th) -28.2 (16th) -40.6 (18th) -25.5 (16th)
Cont. poss. +9.8 (1st) -7 (14th) -10.6 (17th) -9.2 (17th)
Uncont. poss. +12.1 (6th) -23.5 (16th) -32.4 (18th) -13.3 (13th)
Clearances +7.8 (1st) +0.9 (7th) -0.1 (9th) -0.2 (10th)
Clearance scores +12.9 (3rd) -7 (14th) -5 (15th) -5.2 (15th)
Hit-outs to adv. +11.8 (1st) +0.3 (9th) +0.9 (6th) +2.1 (5th)
Inside 50s +5.4 (4th) -8.2 (14th) -5.5 (15th) -6.8 (16th)

One thing this table indicates is that Aaron Sandilands was still at the peak of his powers in 2015 and, more importantly, played 23 games.

Sandilands made five, 10 and 11 appearances, respectively, in the following three seasons, robbing the midfield of its armchair ride.

Sean Darcy's development and Lobb's arrival, with Sandilands still there as well, should mean the ruck will again be an asset.

More pressing is who will be at their feet, besides 2015 Brownlow medallist Fyfe and 294-gamer Mundy?

Connor Blakely looms as the obvious candidate for a significant increase in centre-square opportunities.

Blakely showed promise at half-back, but he was drafted as a midfielder and had a seven-week streak of double-digit contested possessions at one stage last year.

The 22-year-old will be entering his fifth season in the AFL and his experiences as a tagger should serve him well.

Bailey Banfield already carried a big load in his first year, while natural improvement could see Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra, the No.2 and No.5 draft picks in 2017, perform big roles.

They, along with Blakely, could be the barometers.

Connor Blakely

DISPOSALS

ELITE

CONTESTED POSSESSIONS

ABOVE AVG

TACKLES

ABOVE AVG

AFL PREMIERSHIP 2018 STATISTICS AS AT GRAND FINAL
Discover more in AFL StatsPro
Check out more of Connor Blakely's stats in StatsPro!
Another option for Lyon is to turn more to Stephen Hill, who had 200-plus centre attendances in 2016 and 2017 before only 30 this past season, and goalsneak Michael Walters.

Walters looked a genuine midfield star for a period last year after Lyon sent him there to stir him into action.

He racked up 38 touches against the Tigers, 27 and three goals at Carlton's expense, 28 and two majors in a loss to Geelong, then 32 and six goals in an enormous performance against St Kilda.

Walters' gaudy contested numbers in those four outings were 15, 14, 12 and 18.

So there are options for Fremantle, but there is no shying away from the fact the midfield is where the club's fortunes will be decided.

After another tough year I'm actually looking forward to the offseason and to be honest atm I'm about as pessimistic about Freo as I've been in a long time.

I'm sure all it will take is one good preseason game and I'll be amped again and I'm hoping for the new players to gel, a few more wins and an improved %. But right now what do I expect?

Injuries will an even bigger risk than normally, our best 22 is looking much better but I'm not sure we will cover long term injuries well, I don't think we're going to have a lot of depth.

Can see us struggling to get the ball out of the centre cleanly or to lock it into the forward 50 if one of our forwards don't take a clean mark.

Don't make the most of our opportunities, get tired by mid year and Lyon is gone before 2020.

Obviously not a particularly serious prediction and there's heaps to play out before round one even begins but like was said earlier in the thread, I think our % is a bigger indication than our wins the last few years and there needs to be a lot of things improving for us to actually be improving more than the teams around us.

The big question mark over Freo's rebuild
Marc McGowan
Oct 22, 2018 8:25PM

624736-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Nat Fyfe needs some more help in the midfield in 2019
Related
WHO IS Fremantle's Jack Redden?

The Dockers will ask themselves that question after a dramatic NAB AFL Trade Period that should solve their forward woes but exacerbated the midfield problem.

Redden's strong campaign this year was part of the reason West Coast's questioned on-ball brigade – at least in the pre-season – was instead a strength in its march to the premiership.

Fresh Fremantle additions Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb, both of whom the club tried unsuccessfully to woo two years ago, deliver Ross Lyon's side a genuine one-two punch in attack.

Hogan, in particular, will carry the Matthew Pavlich successor burden, but raising the bar on the past two seasons won't be hard.

Cam McCarthy's 25 and 19 goals led the Dockers' key forwards in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

The key defensive stocks are well looked after, too, with Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, Luke Ryan, Griffin Logue, Taylin Duman and swingman Brennan Cox.

Cox also joins McCarthy, Matt Taberner and Hugh Dixon as a tall forward option.

On the flipside, Fremantle's already-middling midfield suddenly faces a significant test with dual Doig medallist Lachie Neale departing for Brisbane.

This makes for concerning reading for Freo fans, given the heavy reliance on Neale, who averaged 30.3 disposals (15 contested), 7.1 clearances, 4.2 tackles and 3.5 inside 50s this year.

As an example, the Eagles and Melbourne had six players above 200 centre attendances, while Collingwood and Richmond (minus Shaun Grigg) boasted seven with 155 or more and Greater Western Sydney six.

Among non-finalists, Adelaide managed at least 175 attendances from six footballers.

Making the Dockers' short rotation more worrying is that superstar captain Nat Fyfe's season ended early for the second time in three seasons and ever-reliable David Mundy turns 33 in July.

Their last finals campaign in 2015 paints a clear picture of where they need to improve if they expect to be a surprise finalist next year.

Fremantle's differentials by year
STATISTIC 2015 2016 2017 2018
Disposals +20.3 (4th) -28.2 (16th) -40.6 (18th) -25.5 (16th)
Cont. poss. +9.8 (1st) -7 (14th) -10.6 (17th) -9.2 (17th)
Uncont. poss. +12.1 (6th) -23.5 (16th) -32.4 (18th) -13.3 (13th)
Clearances +7.8 (1st) +0.9 (7th) -0.1 (9th) -0.2 (10th)
Clearance scores +12.9 (3rd) -7 (14th) -5 (15th) -5.2 (15th)
Hit-outs to adv. +11.8 (1st) +0.3 (9th) +0.9 (6th) +2.1 (5th)
Inside 50s +5.4 (4th) -8.2 (14th) -5.5 (15th) -6.8 (16th)

One thing this table indicates is that Aaron Sandilands was still at the peak of his powers in 2015 and, more importantly, played 23 games.

Sandilands made five, 10 and 11 appearances, respectively, in the following three seasons, robbing the midfield of its armchair ride.

Sean Darcy's development and Lobb's arrival, with Sandilands still there as well, should mean the ruck will again be an asset.

More pressing is who will be at their feet, besides 2015 Brownlow medallist Fyfe and 294-gamer Mundy?

Connor Blakely looms as the obvious candidate for a significant increase in centre-square opportunities.

Blakely showed promise at half-back, but he was drafted as a midfielder and had a seven-week streak of double-digit contested possessions at one stage last year.

The 22-year-old will be entering his fifth season in the AFL and his experiences as a tagger should serve him well.

Bailey Banfield already carried a big load in his first year, while natural improvement could see Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra, the No.2 and No.5 draft picks in 2017, perform big roles.

They, along with Blakely, could be the barometers.

Connor Blakely

DISPOSALS

ELITE

CONTESTED POSSESSIONS

ABOVE AVG

TACKLES

ABOVE AVG

AFL PREMIERSHIP 2018 STATISTICS AS AT GRAND FINAL
Discover more in AFL StatsPro
Check out more of Connor Blakely's stats in StatsPro!
Another option for Lyon is to turn more to Stephen Hill, who had 200-plus centre attendances in 2016 and 2017 before only 30 this past season, and goalsneak Michael Walters.

Walters looked a genuine midfield star for a period last year after Lyon sent him there to stir him into action.

He racked up 38 touches against the Tigers, 27 and three goals at Carlton's expense, 28 and two majors in a loss to Geelong, then 32 and six goals in an enormous performance against St Kilda.

Walters' gaudy contested numbers in those four outings were 15, 14, 12 and 18.

So there are options for Fremantle, but there is no shying away from the fact the midfield is where the club's fortunes will be decided.
The way I read those stats is that Lobb and Hogan will make f*** all difference. We are getting flogged in the midfield most weeks.

Even if Blakely covers Lachie, we need a few others to lift A LOT (and Mundy to carry on) else we aren't improving at all on 2018.

The way I read those stats is that Lobb and Hogan will make f*** all difference. We are getting flogged in the midfield most weeks.

Even if Blakely covers Lachie, we need a few others to lift A LOT (and Mundy to carry on) else we aren't improving at all in 2018.

Yeah, sorta. But if you buy into the media's hot take analysis - all our prays will be answered with a formidable KPF! Excluding the fact we have trouble even getting it inside 50...

Factor in the rule changes regarding interchange numbers + sub and rotations capped - from 120 - 90 - plus the tactic of "third man up" around the ruck and those stats get a bit more complex. A lot of subtle changes between 2011 - 2017 were to reduce congestion and make footy more free-flowing - Operation stop RTB.
Eg
2015 - Rotation Avg 113. Sub-rule out. Interchange limit at 120. Freo looked cook midway in season.

2016 - Rotation Avg 82. Capped at 90 with a 4 man bench. Third man up tactic offsets Sandys dominance. Fyfe was ****ed. Midfield exposed as 1-dimensional role players as rotation cap limits our pressure. Bulldogs win Premiership without a spine. Homogenisation of Footballers/Athletes becomes new hot take. Clarko not happy, complains to Gil.

2017 - Rotation avg same. AFL has ruck nominations - no more third man tactics but Tigers swam with blocking s**t. Mosquito fleet wins with a Spine. The Dolly Tigers - chaos ball 2.0

2018 - Rotation avg same. Ruck nominations in but more space in ball-ups. Blocking negated. Eagles go two man ruck combo with Vardy/Lycett tagging of Brody and Gawn, rotating to tire the campaigners out. Eagles win Premiership. Family & Friends = Flag - It was all about the Culture narrative sold by Flog Nisbett (the man who takes himself way too seriously).

A very simplistic take but so are the stats without context. But from 2015 - 2017, the big ruckman looked to be redundant. Sandy's back but we can't have one-dimensional mids anymore.

Yeah, sorta. But if you buy into the media's hot take analysis - all our prays will be answered with a formidable KPF! Excluding the fact we have trouble even getting it inside 50...

Factor in the rule changes regarding interchange numbers + sub and rotations capped - from 120 - 90 - plus the tactic of "third man up" around the ruck and those stats get a bit more complex. A lot of subtle changes between 2011 - 2017 were to reduce congestion and make footy more free-flowing - Operation stop RTB.
Eg
2015 - Rotation Avg 113. Sub-rule out. Interchange limit at 120. Freo looked cook midway in season.

2016 - Rotation Avg 82. Capped at 90 with a 4 man bench. Third man up tactic offsets Sandys dominance. Fyfe was ******. Midfield exposed as 1-dimensional role players as rotation cap limits our pressure. Bulldogs win Premiership without a spine. Homogenisation of Footballers/Athletes becomes new hot take. Clarko not happy, complains to Gil.

2017 - Rotation avg same. AFL has ruck nominations - no more third man tactics but Tigers swam with blocking s**t. Mosquito fleet wins with a Spine. The Dolly Tigers - chaos ball 2.0

2018 - Rotation avg same. Ruck nominations in but more space in ball-ups. Blocking negated. Eagles go two man ruck combo with Vardy/Lycett tagging of Brody and Gawn, rotating to tire the campaigners out. Eagles win Premiership. Family & Friends = Flag - It was all about the Culture narrative sold by Flog Nisbett (the man who takes himself way too seriously).

A very simplistic take but so are the stats without context. But from 2015 - 2017, the big ruckman looked to be redundant. Sandy's back but we can't have one-dimensional mids anymore.
Stats with a sample size of 60+ is not simplistic though. For 3 years our midfield has been pants and we have largely sucked during that period. That is not a coincidence.

I'm going early, if we don't have multiple mids step up this year, we will only improve marginally if at all even with the new forwards.

Expectations should always be set as high as possible, or else you are no hope of achieving what the last two premiers did. Both were 50-1 before the season.

Premiership should be the goal, and anything less than finals is a massive failure. The way to genuine success is to demand and expect it. The loser mentality of our club for the last few years has been pathetic and needs to change.

Expectations should always be set as high as possible, or else you are no hope of achieving what the last two premiers did. Both were 50-1 before the season.

Premiership should be the goal, and anything less than finals is a massive failure. The way to genuine success is to demand and expect it. The loser mentality of our club for the last few years has been pathetic and needs to change.
That's all great but is not how high performance systems work. They don't set any targets (well nothing as broad as finals), they just focus on things they can control and put all of their effort into doing them as well as they can.

If you do that, and you are good enough, the rest takes care of itself.

Guarantee you, Ross doesn't sit around talking about finals during preseason or how it is loser's mentality to not aim for them, because he wouldn't talk about it at all. It is a waste of energy.

My issue is against the rubbish teams we had players like Cox, McCarthy, Taberner and Ballantyne kick 3+ on occasions. When we were getting smashed they barely got a kick due to our midfield getting hammered. Who’s to say Hogan and Lobb won’t be the same.

I think they’re better players and we’ll be better for it long term but if we’re real even with Neale’s piss weak defensive efforts he’s a big loss to this side. Our midfield is worse next year. We will still have games where we’ll get hammered in there and having better forwards won’t help if we barely get the ball in there. We’ll smash teams with shite midfields but struggle against the rest imo.

My issue is against the rubbish teams we had players like Cox, McCarthy, Taberner and Ballantyne kick 3+ on occasions. When we were getting smashed they barely got a kick due to our midfield getting hammered. Who’s to say Hogan and Lobb won’t be the same.

I think they’re better players and we’ll be better for it long term but if we’re real even with Neale’s piss weak defensive efforts he’s a big loss to this side. Our midfield is worse next year. We will still have games where we’ll get hammered in there and having better forwards won’t help if we barely get the ball in there. We’ll smash teams with shite midfields but struggle against the rest imo.
You are right, that is exactly what will happen. The only thing you might argue is that with Lobb and Hogan, it might be easier to get the ball out of D50 which will help getting field position past a press.

We could have had Carey and Ablett this year and in some games they wouldn't have a kicked a goal either.

I respect your view.

I have another take it.

Reasons why I think our midfield will be better:
1. Mundy plays full time in the middle

2. Blakely see above

3. Colyer and Conca provide depth and skinny kids won't in the middle apart from Cerra, Banfield and Brayshaw. Matera won't be need to play in the centre square.

4. Sandilands played 11 for 5 wins and 6 losses and Darcy 7 games for 2 wins and 5 loses . That 4 games we need to play with sub standard rucks and went 1-3. Now, if that happens again, Lobb can fill the gab. The game against the Roos we were in it for a long period until Sandilands went down and Taberner went into the ruck. Now, if a ruck goes down, Lobb goes into the ruck and we still have Hogan and co to kick to.

5. Fyfe missed 7 games and reduce that to 4 games, that might get us another win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I respect your view.

I have another take it.

Reasons why I think our midfield will be better:
1. Mundy plays full time in the middle

2. Blakely see above

3. Colyer and Conca provide depth and skinny kids won't in the middle apart from Cerra, Banfield and Brayshaw. Matera won't be need to play in the centre square.

4. Sandilands played 11 for 5 wins and 6 losses and Darcy 7 games for 2 wins and 5 loses . That 4 games we need to play with sub standard rucks and went 1-3. Now, if that happens again, Lobb can fill the gab. The game against the Roos we were in it for a long period until Sandilands went down and Taberner went into the ruck. Now, if a ruck goes down, Lobb goes into the ruck and we still have Hogan and co to kick to.

5. Fyfe missed 7 games and reduce that to 4 games, that might get us another win.

I just think we’re 2-3 players and development short of a good midfield. Conca helps, so does Blakely but we need more.

Development wise I think Cerra, Brayshaw and to a lesser extent Banfield (not as talented but his body is perhaps more ready) may need a few years until they can truly move our team too far forward.

Last time we were in the situation we recruited a guy called Michael Barlow and everything changed. We could do worse than recruiting the best mature aged mid we can find. Pick 14 should be a midfielder (or a Half Forward/Back who can play mid in the future) as well.

I just think we’re 2-3 players and development short of a good midfield. Conca helps, so does Blakely but we need more.

Development wise I think Cerra, Brayshaw and to a lesser extent Banfield (not as talented but his body is perhaps more ready) may need a few years until they can truly move our team too far forward.

Last time we were in the situation we recruited a guy called Michael Barlow and everything changed. We could do worse than recruiting the best mature aged mid we can find. Pick 14 should be a midfielder (or a Half Forward/Back who can play mid in the future) as well.
Kelly or Coniglio would be a great fit.

Our pick 14 does have a few a strong inside midfield around it.

We won 8 games in 2018.

I would say there is a 60% chance we would win about 11 games based on list / age progression. (Say 8 home, 3 away).

About a 20% chance we could win 13ish games. (9 home, 4 away?)

And the other 20% that we go to either extreme (bottom 4, top 4).

Something has certainly changed over the last three years to make things less predictable.

Not sure how people understand or expect rebuilds to occur and in relation to games won or lost when there are a whole lot of other dynamics going on with every other team etc.

2020-21 the target year for finals? Are we on track...Yes imop
Throughout 2017 and 2018 we did not necessarily play our best 22 available as we endeavoured to develop young players.

All clubs have injuries but when clubs have injury to key players without a back up player it impacts heavily...we have been one of those clubs. Eg without a key forward back up (eg when Taberner was going well then broke down) or key defender back up it shows over the number of weeks without them, effecting structure and

Our current situation is looking better wih now Hogan and Lobb and Colyer and Conca, comparing to losing the aged Johnson, Pearce and Spurr. Neale loss means we need at least one top inside mid along with more mid depth so two. Fortuneatly this years draft has them even past pick 31.

Is the coach to blame - no. If we did not have Ross we would have finished dead set last 2017 and 2018...thats how ugly our situation was in terms of key personel and depth.

2019 7-10 wins finishing 16-12; 2020 14-15 wins 7-4; 2021 15-18 wins 4-1

teams that will compete for domination 2020-2024 Essendon Carlton Brisbane Fremantle

Disclaimer: this member enjoys the occassional romancing in prophesying with 0% success. :D:drunk:;)

Last edited:
The AFL.com.au article today is interesting, but when they talk about Neale's stats, like a lot of news stories about Neale, the focus is on his offensive stats (possessions, clearances, etc)

No doubt losing Neale is a big hole when it comes to getting the ball at a clearance. I think we hope that guys like Blakely can lift to bridge the gap but that will have to play out.

What is seldom discussed, however, is the defensive impact of Neale leaving. And here, just perhaps, we might be better off.

Blakely, S.Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, and even Brayshaw and Banfield average more 1%ers a game than Neale. All of those guys--except for Blakely--tackle more per game than Neale.

Of course they still have to win the ball. Neale's loss certainly isn't trival.

But it might be that without Neale at the stoppage, we become a little more old school with pressure and defensive grunt. And that might be a good thing.

The AFL.com.au article today is interesting, but when they talk about Neale's stats, like a lot of news stories about Neale, the focus is on his offensive stats (possessions, clearances, etc)

No doubt losing Neale is a big hole when it comes to getting the ball at a clearance. I think we hope that guys like Blakely can lift to bridge the gap but that will have to play out.

What is seldom discussed, however, is the defensive impact of Neale leaving. And here, just perhaps, we might be better off.

Blakely, S.Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, and even Brayshaw and Banfield average more 1%ers a game than Neale. All of those guys--except for Blakely--tackle more per game than Neale.

Of course they still have to win the ball. Neale's loss certainly isn't trival.

But it might be that without Neale at the stoppage, we become a little more old school with pressure and defensive grunt. And that might be a good thing.

Ross get off Bigfooty and start brainstorming a new gameplan for 2019.

Ross get off Bigfooty and start brainstorming a new gameplan for 2019.
Hah!!!

One thing that I have missed about us in the last 3 years is how easy we are to play against now.

We used to be so hard at the contest that when the oppo won a stoppage they would generally be under a lot of pressure causing a turnover from the downfield kick.

Now, if the oppo win a clearance they generally just waltz away with the ball. The 2nd quarter against Geelong that is where the debacle started.

Of course I would much rather have Neale than not, but the extra opportunity given to others has the potential to make us a bit more difficult when the other team wins the ball.

Richmond were 2nd worst for clearances this year (good at centre clearances but hopeless at stoppages). West Coast were 11th (middle of the pack). Both were in the top 6 for inside 50s so clearly supply wasn't a problem even though their midfields weren't dominating winning the ball via clearances. WC were #1 for kicks, marks, and for efficiency inside 50. For total disposals they were 3rd bottom, we were 4th bottom and Richmond were 5th bottom. And for tackles these 3 teams were also in those 3 positions just in a different order.

The four best intercepting teams were Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and West Coast. With GWS and Hawthorn rounding out the top 6. The last three premiers have won primarily because of their pressure on the ball leading to intercepts and then using an effective mechanism to move the ball downfield to create scoring opportunities. West Coast use an uncontested kick first ball movement strategy. Richmond use the manic play on and move the ball forward at all costs. The Dogs used the pack running handball and overlap to move the ball down field. Teams like WC and Hawks relied a lot on efficiency inside 50 whereas Richmond and Melbourne are all about pressure i50 to keep the ball locked in. Lots of different styles but the concept of pressure on the ball (and around the ball) is constant throughout all the best teams.

Our midfield for the past 3 seasons (maybe longer) has been incredibly one way. But without dominating clearances like we used to we are getting smashed. The only way we could stop teams scoring against was winning the ball first and we are pretty poor at that at the moment. IMO a new look midfield could easily be a catalyst for one that becomes pressure first and allows us to attack more from behind the ball instead of trying to win the ball at every stoppage. It's why I think Conca is a very smart recruitment. He's not going to rack up 30 possessions a game but I'd be pretty confident the mids he plays on are going to be under immense pressure when they have ball in hand. Likewise Blakely and Stephen Hill moving in to the centre. Both have been playing as defenders and that bodes well for better accountability in the midfield. This means we can release Fyfe to do what he does because the rest of our midfield will still be accountable if he doesn't win the ball.

I strongly believe if our midfield accountability (pressure on and around the ball) can improve I think we almost have the rest of the pieces in place to become real contender. There is no reason it can't happen quickly if we can keep most of our key pieces on the park.

Our midfield’s been s**t for three years and in that time Neale has had the best form of his career. May I suggest he won’t be missed as much as we think he will. It’s like worrying about the retirement of Adrian Fletcher.

A fully fit Fyfe, more midfield minutes for Mundy and Blakely, defensive focus from Conca, some cameos from Brayshaw and Cerra, maybe pick up a mature ager in the draft a la Kelly / Barlow.

It won’t be a starring midfield but all it has to do is hold its own.

Richmond’s midfield is basically Dustin Martin with a bunch of nobodies around him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back