Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh with picks 3-25 as even as they are, Sharp being a local boy filling a need as an excellent outside mid with senior level WAFL experience, I'm starting to come around to using pick 10 on him

and it could easily be pick 12 with no bid on Green prior pick 4 and if we bid on Magginnis at 11 o_O

I would love to see us make a pick trade after a Henry bid. Latest thought from me:
2020 first and both 2020 2nd rounders for 2020 pick 11 and 15,20 from gold coast
Keeps us with a 1st round pick in 2020 but allows us to get players like Rivers, Sharp and Taylor in 2019.

We could look at pre-bid, pre-draft night. GC want that extra top 10 pick, but the trade would be more like our current pick 10 + 2020 first + 2020 2nd for 15,20 and 2020 pick 11. Points are about equal, but do we want to lose pick 10, when we'll probably lose pick 15 on Henry, then have picks 20,22?

Actually not a bad outcome. Picks 20,22 could get us Sharp and Rivers, pick 7 will get us Robertson, Stephens or Ash if that's who they're keen on.

A bid at pick 8 would use up the pick 15 points, but then push pick 20 back to 24.
A bid at pick 11 would use up the points from 15, but bring pick 20 into pick 19.
A bid at 14 would use up the points for pick 15 but bring 20 back to pick 16, and so it goes (if I am understanding correctly how the excess points improve the position of your next pick).

7 - Robertson / Stephens
15 (Henry)
16-24 - a big range so impossible to guess who might be available, but I would hope we pick up Sharp. If it's 16, maybe Stephens slides, and we get him and Sharp.
23 - Sharp / Rivers
(These are using current picks without taking into account any previous bids/matches - except for our own.)

A draft haul of Robertson, Henry, Stephens, Sharp would do me very nicely thank you very much.

Nice interview. Well worth getting through - Gossage's questions were mostly professional. My favourite bit was: Gossage - "is there a getting Freo back into Freo push (reeling off a few names)?" - Longmuir "not really" - Gossage then closes by mentioning the appointment of the new CEO (with no previous connection to Freo!)

Gold Coast 1. Matt Rowell (Oakleigh Chargers, 180cm midfielder)
Gold Coast 2. Noah Anderson (Oakleigh Chargers, 191cm midfield-forward)
Melbourne 3. Luke Jackson (East Fremantle, 199cm ruckman)
GWS 4. Lachie Ash (Murray Bushrangers, 186cm halfback)
GWS 5. Tom Green* (GWS academy, 191cm midfielder)
Sydney 6. Sam Flanders (Gippsland Power, 182cm midfielder)
Adelaide 7. Fischer McAsey (Sandringham Dragons, 197cm defender)
Fremantle 8. Hayden Young (Dandenong Stingrays, 188cm halfback)
Melbourne 9. Demons will trade this pick to another club
Carlton 10. Caleb Serong (Gippsland Power, 179cm midfield-forward)
Fremantle 11. Deven Robertson (Perth, 184cm midfielder)
Hawthorn 12. Brodie Kemp (Bendigo Pioneers, 193cm defender)
Port Adelaide 13. Dylan Stephens (Norwood, 183cm midfielder)
Western Bulldogs 14. Miles Bergman (Sandringham Dragons, 189cm utility)
*GWS matches Sydney’s bid for Green, pushing the order back one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is Sharp a better option than Rivers? Not sure.

I think the potential value in Rivers is in future inside midfield capability and dependability with good balance between offence and defence, whereas Sharp is an outside pacy running machine with run / carry and offense to boot but not as much defensively.

Right now Sharp is arguably much more of a need for Freo.

I for one would be a bit underwhelmed with Young, especially if Stephens is still available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Young is available at 8, and Stephens and Robertson availabel at 10 and 11, I hope we go to Carlton and give them a future 1st and 22 with some late pick on top to get 10.

Imagine a haul of Young, Stephens, Robertson and Henry....

What is with pick #9? Whoever Melbourne traded it to still needs to pick???
Na bugger that - it is a pass the HSUN said so.

My prediction a week ago was Melbourne trade 8 to GCS (with some sort of future pick if they are allowed) for picks 15+20. Enables them to add someone like Pickett or Weightman at a more appropriate pick. Running out of time for my prediction to come true.

Gold Coast are reportedly keen on Robertson.

So add Robertson to that mystery pick and Dylan Stephens to Freo. Prob solved.

This would be my ideal scenario. Young sliding to our first pick would be daylight robbery for mine. The opportunity to pair up a top 3/4 talent with Stephens at 11 really addresses some list needs.

Lord knows we are crying out for good ball users.

Then begs the question (in this hypothetical) if the Hawks take Kemp at 12 and Robertson is still available at Port’s pick 13, do you see a way we can trade back in to nab him? Taking into account points needed for an eventual Henry bid...

Young, Stephens, Robertson & Henry would set us up for years to come.

Sharp would also be a welcome addition.

Future picks anyone? 🤔

Melbourne considering trading pick 8 to land three top prospects in next week’s AFL draft
Sam Landsberger and Jay ClarkHerald Sun
Wednesday, 20 November 2019 1:47PM

1574230528294_020791fc9b4bb43eb54fb8dc41108961.jpeg
Credit: News Corp Australia

Best mates Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson are all but certain to be chosen with the first two picks in next week’s AFL draft. But how will the next 12 selections play out? Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger give their prediction.
The Demons hold picks No. 3 and 8 and are eyeing Jackson with their first pick, believing the former Australian basketballer can shine in a tandem act with All-Australian Max Gawn, who turns 28 next month.
The Demons are also looking to trade their No. 8 choice for two picks, which could come in the teens and early 20s.
Geelong, which holds picks No. 14, 17 and 24, Port Adelaide, which holds picks No. 12, 16 and 18, and Gold Coast, which holds picks No.15 and 20, are the leading contenders.
Hawthorn emerged as a potential buyer on Wednesday after securing a second-round pick in next year’s draft, enabling it to swap its own future first-round pick for another early choice next week.
That would enable Melbourne to snap up a small forward, such as Cody Weightman, in the teens to help replace Jeff Garlett after it missed out on free agent Jamie Elliott.
Jackson would be the first ruckman taken with a top-five pick since West Coast secured Nic Naitanui at No. 2 in 2008.
1574230528294_8799004215bc096115e99934aaa3d167.jpeg
It is a bold move from the Dees, but Jackson – who has been likened to Collingwood superstar Brodie Grundy for his ability to hunt at ground level – soared up draft boards late in the year.
The Demons are unlikely to bid on GWS academy star Tom Green before drafting Jackson, because the Giants would pounce on Jackson at No. 4instead of matching the bid.
The Giants are light-on for ruck stocks with veterans Sam Jacobs, 31, and Shane Mumford, 33, set to lead the division in 2020.
Clubs are this week holding their final recruiting meetings and determining their talent orders ahead of next Wednesday and Thursday’s national draft.
The Giants are poised to choose between halfbacks Hayden Young and Lachie Ash at pick No.4.
While Young has been highly touted all year for his elite kicking skills, Ash’s line-breaking speed has won comparisons to Essendon jet Adam Saad.
Sydney is desperate to bolster its onball brigade and is eyeing dynamic Sam Flanders as it plans for life after Josh Kennedy.
The Swans will bid their No. 5 selection on Green and, when the Giants match that bid, are then expected to welcome Flanders at No.6.
Adelaide traded back from No. 4 to No. 6, which will become No. 7 after Green joins GWS, knowing it could still secure Sandringham Dragons key defender Fischer McAsey.
That would spoil the party for Geelong, Hawthorn and Western Bulldogs, who are all keen on the Aaron Naughton clone.
1574230528294_9532a5bb8dc94e57902fddc8c9f25aab.jpeg
1574230528294_2d2e76fb7724bcb251fe8d25fcd0b74c.jpeg
At pick No. 8 Fremantle could turn to gun small forward Caleb Serong or halfbacks Ash or Young, depending on who GWS overlooks.
Melbourne’s second top-10 pick is likely to find a new home before departing Carlton list manager Stephen Silvagni uses his final first-round selection. The Blues are expected to part with Silvagni after next week’s drafts.
South Australian midfielder Dylan Stephens, ACL victim Brodie Kemp, Serong and Ash are all on Silvagni’s radar, while Young would a great result if he slipped.
The Blues are also seriously considering for Fremantle academy prospect and lethal small forward Liam Henry.
Carlton, which missed out on securing Tom Papley in the trade period with this pick, is a big fan of Henry’s tricks and goal nous.
Hawthorn, which currently holds pick No. 11, has been linked to Kemp and could also make a left-field play for 195cm intercepting defender Josh Worrell.

Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir has identified outside run as a priority for his list ahead of next week’s national draft as the club looks to replace departed wingmen Bradley Hill and Ed Langdon.

The Dockers will take a strong suite of picks to Marvel Stadium on November 27 and 28, including first-round selections 7 and 10, and the option to match any bid on exciting WA forward Liam Henry.

Longmuir said his role would be restricted to identifying list needs, with a number of classy outside runners set to be available with the Dockers’ early picks.

The Dockers have been linked to Vic Country half-back Lachie Ash, whose speed and run and carry are his biggest weapons.

1574228599094_GHU2GTB02.1-0.png

AFL DRAFT HUB: See profiles and highlights for WA’s 20 top contenders and read the latest draft news

Classy South Australian midfielder Dylan Stephens, who has drawn comparisons with Andrew Gaff, is also likely to be considered if available with his mix of speed and endurance making him one of the premier junior midfielders.

South Australia’s Dylan Stephens in action during the AFL Under-18 Championships.
South Australia’s Dylan Stephens in action during the AFL Under-18 Championships. Credit: AFL Photos
Longmuir said he had held discussions with the Fremantle recruiters about the club’s list needs and been briefed on where players were expected to fall in the early rounds.

“My role at the draft is probably identifying some list needs and to be honest that is probably a little bit of outside run as a priority for me,” Longmuir told SEN on Wednesday.

“I feel like we’ve got some good developing young mids. Our tall stocks are in good shape, we probably just need to fill those roles outside the centre square and look to develop some players in those areas.

“That’s probably where my role goes at the moment. I’d be silly to think I’ve got a better eye on the young talent than our recruiters, who go out and watch them week in, week out and have had multiple interviews with them.

“I’ll leave that in their hands. We’ve got full trust in all people in our footy club to execute their role, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they pick next week.”

The Dockers hold selections 7, 10, 22, 58, 69, 79 and 83, with their final hand set to be determined by an opposition bid for Henry, which could come inside the top 10.

While there are strong outside run options in the top 10, the Dockers could also look to local talent if they increase their presence in the second round after a Henry bid, with Jeremy Sharp and Trent Rivers boasting these traits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back